Multichannel sound in Gaming

mahiruha

Hi Guys,
although I have been gaming for past 16 years but never tried gaming using a multichannel sound. I am just wondering how is the dolby sound in a game like Battlefield Badcompnay 2 multiplayer version. currently I am playing this game in a stereo setup and I can hear sound very clearly but the problem is at times I can hear some bullets firing but unable to identify the direction from which it is coming specially with snipers. Can anybody tell me in 5.1 or 7.1 dolby set up is it possible to get precise imaging from which direction the bullet is coming? Does having a multichannel dolby sound setup gives any competitive edge?
Thanks.

Manu4panjab and teky are the right guys to answer this, but let me pitch in with my 2 cents.

I have a PS3 connected to a Multi-channel setup. I do not have exposure to the games you have mentioned, but I can assure you that multichannel for games is very enjoyable. I have played only racing games so far and I can hear sounds from rear left and right channel when I overtake a car or they come up behind me to overtake:). So, am sure you will benefit from hooking your gaming console\PC to a multichannel setup.

Hi Guys,
although I have been gaming for past 16 years but never tried gaming using a multichannel sound. I am just wondering how is the dolby sound in a game like Battlefield Badcompnay 2 multiplayer version. currently I am playing this game in a stereo setup
With surround sound playing game is more exciting especially while playing Race games and third person shooter game.
Can anybody tell me in 5.1 or 7.1 dolby set up is it possible to get precise imaging from which direction the bullet is coming? Does having a multichannel dolby sound setup gives any competitive edge?
Thanks.
Not sure since i havent played this game. It depends on the game we have to connect to surround system and check whether its working that way.I remember i have seen in net somewhere it works the way you told.

Hi Santonsh,
thanks for providing some insight regarding multichannel sound. Actuyally in a FPS environment the basic strategy is sight and shoot with a very little reaction time so essentialy we are using our vision for the game play and the sound we hear is just to create drama which doesn't really have that much impact when it comes to making a decision where to shoot. I have actually tested this hypothesis by turning off the sound and playing the game. It doesn't make too much difference. That's why I was wondering if multichannel sound can be any better but I think in a real world there is a 360 degree space around us and sound can come from anywhere. In case of a home theater I need to check if the 5 or 7 speakers can actually create that 360 degree space with pinpoint precision so that we can hear and shoot along with sight and shoot. Lets see what some FPS guys with multichannel setup have to say about this.
Thanks.

@Edga: Well I think it should work like this but would love to hear from somebody who is using this tecnology to good effect. Actually in the multiplayer world I am really amazed by skill level of some people. Once in a game I saw a guy who was doing road kills with a apache which means hitting a guy on the ground with a helicopter so you can imaging he must be using some technology and also having skill which enables him to do such difficult moves with precision.
Thanks.

I've not played BF:BC2 but I've played multiplayer in Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2. Trust me, it's impossible to pinpoint enemy location with sound cues even with 5.1 surround sound.

I think you are being overwhelmed by the exceptional skill level of other players. Most of these experienced players usually know the map thoroughly and know all the sniping spots, cover locations and weapon respawn locations. Plus they are also better with aiming - they don't run and gun; they shoot moving targets with more precision. It's quite impossible to top the charts unless you know the map and you have 10s of hours of targeting practice.

Just knowing the map will give you an edge over average players. I used to suck in Killzone 2 but after knowing just one underused part of the map I was able to make 60 kills once in a single deathmatch! To top the charts often you'll need to greatly improve your targeting too.

Last edited:
I've not played BF:BC2 but I've played multiplayer in Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2. Trust me, it's impossible to pinpoint enemy location with sound cues even with 5.1 surround sound.

I think you are being overwhelmed by the exceptional skill level of other players. Most of these experienced players usually know the map thoroughly and know all the sniping spots, cover locations and weapon respawn locations. Plus they are also better with aiming - they don't run and gun; they shoot moving targets with more precision. It's quite impossible to top the charts unless you know the map and you have 10s of hours of targeting practice.

Just knowing the map will give you an edge over average players. I used to suck in Killzone 2 but after knowing just one underused part of the map I was able to make 60 kills once in a single deathmatch! To top the charts often you'll need to greatly improve your targeting too.

Hi Vramak,
you are right about the general strategy that is followed in these games. I already have around 6000 kills in last one month but the problem is as you go up the rank the servers only put you against the higher rank people. Free lunches get reduced to a great extent.These guys normally play as a team where each player has a designated task what to do. So for a lonely traveller like me has nothing but to trust my reflex actions and detailed knowledge of the maps also I have to make sure that am making full use of the technology to gain any possible edge. That's why I was wondering if using proper sound setup can be of any help or not. It seems from your experience that multichannel sound doesn't provide much edge.:)
Thanks.

Hi Guys,
although I have been gaming for past 16 years but never tried gaming using a multichannel sound. I am just wondering how is the dolby sound in a game like Battlefield Badcompnay 2 multiplayer version. currently I am playing this game in a stereo setup and I can hear sound very clearly but the problem is at times I can hear some bullets firing but unable to identify the direction from which it is coming specially with snipers. Can anybody tell me in 5.1 or 7.1 dolby set up is it possible to get precise imaging from which direction the bullet is coming? Does having a multichannel dolby sound setup gives any competitive edge?
Thanks.

I have played Battlefield BG2 in Single/Multi player using Dolby PLII. I was able to hear every sound crystal clear ... thanks to 5.1. However, I couldn't kill enemies in the combat easily. As others said I was amidst veterans in multiplayer gaming. Whatever I tried, they killed me very fast :lol:

The only game I was very successful in Multiplayer online mode was "Burnout Paradise". Won many events online.

Bottom line: 5.1 may increase your alertness during the play because of the sound precision, but your skill can only help you to succeed to top of the charts.

Last edited:
I have played Battlefield BG2 in Single/Multi player using Dolby PLII. I was able to hear every sound crystal clear ... thanks to 5.1. However, I couldn't kill enemies in the combat easily. As others said I was amidst veterans in multiplayer gaming. Whatever I tried, they killed me very fast :lol:

The only game I was very successful in Multiplayer online mode was "Burnout Paradise". Won many events online.

Bottom line: 5.1 may increase your alertness during the play because of the sound precision, but your skill can only help you to succeed to top of the charts.

Hi Senthil,
don't loose heart in playing Battlefield BC2 in multiplayer mode. When you are starting the game you will be killed very fast since you start with very basic weapons and advanced weapons are only available as you progress. The best bet is to take medic kit and use the PKM LMG gun. The strategy is when you see an enemy just blust all the bullets since you have a magazine count of 100 so no need to worry about running out of bullets. That's the best way to do target practice.
Happy gaming,
Mahiruha.

So im not the only one hooked onto BF BC2. Guys if you are on ps3 please state psn id lets play sometime

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back