Music and Movie PC+ AMP + Speakers

codemasters

All,
I was always thinking whether an AVR is worth for someone who is interested in both music and movie. I have read in many forums that they are mainly meant for Movies(i mean , fine tuned) . For music, many of them were suggesting the stereo amp setup(2 front channel with one sub woofer out). I am not sure to what extend I am correct, but the latest music recordings are available in multi channel(5.1) in DVDs(not in CDs). So if this becomes popular for music then the stereo amps are not going to handle it well. is that right? so is there an AMP (just an AMP, I would prefer to do the playback and decoding -Dolby/DTS/ DTS-HD/Dolby True HD in the PC)that can handle the amplification alone?

usage: 70% Music(MP3,CDs, and music videos via Blu-Ray ) 30% Movies(DVDs and Blu-Ray).

Thanks

Always better to have 2 setups... one 5.1/7.1 for movies and one 2.0/2.1 for music. Using same setup for both movies and music will always be a compromise for one of them.

Seeing your primary requirement is music go with a good 2.0 setup and a HTIB in the 35K range will suffice all your movie/5.1 music needs.

If you are looking for a setup that works well for both music and movies, you could check out NAD and Marantz AVRs. Both are known to work well with music and movies. Yes, a dedicated music (2 channel) setup would sound better for music, and so would a dedicated movie setup for movies. But if you gotta compromise, the NAD and Marantz are the better options.

If you are on a budget, you can always start out with 2 speakers (Fronts) and add up the remaining as and when you get more mollah! Just remember to stick to the same company for all the speakers (Fronts, Centre and Rear), since they would be better matched to each other for sound.

Is a 2.0 setup good for musics(video- Stage performance) in HD format?

Not really. If you mean live performances recorded in 5.1/7.1 then a home theater is better to enjoy them. But you can still listen to them in a 2.0 though you'll be missing out on all the 5.1 surround SFX.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back