music directors rated for all round musicality

Hi Sharad,

A brilliant post there. I agree with your list.

Good to see someone mention unsung music directors like "Vanraj Bhatia".

Regards,
Prasad Redkar.

Hi,

I would write about Shankar Jaikishan and others later.

O P Nayyar was stereo typed in his image, so some of his great work is never discussed. Music composer Tushar Bhatia is his greatest fan. So I have requested him to enlighten us about Nayyar ji, in this thread. I hope he would accept my request to join this forum, and take our petty discussion to the next level.

Wow, what a thread to come back to after a long hiatus!

I am from the south, so most of my musical intake is from Ilayaraaja..

But not deviating from the topics, i would rate shankar ehsaan loy and their arrangers for pretty good music arrangement ( purely the tech part), so would also be AR Rehman. I also like Saawriya's music arranger. (Monty sharma)

Coming back to songs:( melodies not arrangement. These are the songs most of us would have heard them.. but a recompilation of a musically nostalgic journey.

I would like to list those not so popular gems and some really popular gems.

The idea is not that they are the very best, but they could as well provide a nice starting point to explore the composer's works.

Each of the listed songs are different and they have a special mood to them. and thats why i have included them in this list.

1. Hindi-> Ilayaraaja : Dheemi dheemi (Shiva-Shreya Ghoshal); Rim jhim jalve gire (Mahadev- Suresh wadkar -amazing rain mood.); Saara yeh aalam(cheeni kum)

2) Hindi - Salil->Tasveer tere dil mein (Md rafi/Lata, Maya(1961); salil choudhary); Khilte hi gul yehan(

3) Hindi - SDB>(Wahan kaun hi tera)

4) Hindi->RDB-> Pyaar ke mode pe (Parinda)

5)Hindi-> Anand Milind (90% are Ilaiyaraaja's songs. But QSQT among his originals stand out)

6) Hindi-> Vishal Bharadwaj( Chappa chappa charka - Maachis.. Amazing)

7) Hindi -> Jhanak jhanak tori baaje paayaliya- mannadey (not sure of the music director)

8) Hindi->Nadeem shravan-> Damini - Jabse tumko dekha hi

9) Hindi -> Anu malik (Tere darr pe sanaam chale aaye- Pooja bhatt's movie)

10) Hindi ->Himesh R Pyaar dilonka mela hi ( dulhan hum le jaayenge)

11) Hindi-> Jatin Lalit (Kehti hi dil ki lagi- raju bann gaya gentleman and khamoshi songs)

12) Hindi -> Biddu ( Laila main laila;Qurbaani)

11) Kannada-> Hamsalekha(Ranadheera- Preeti yalli iro sukha gotte iralilla)

12) Kannada-> Rajan Nagendra (Aaaseya Bhaava olavina jeeva)

13) Kannada -> G K venkatesh (Chinnada mallige hoove-Huliya haalina mevu)

14)Telugu ->Ilayaraaja ( ne meeda naaku idammo- Raakshasudu - 1997)

15) Hindi ->Bappi lahiri (Yaad aara ha hi- Disco dancer)

16) Hindi-> Kalyanji Anandji ( Chandan sa badan- Saraswati chandra)

17) Hindi->khayyam ( Tere chehre se nazar nahin hatti - Silsila)

18) Hindi-> C Ramachandra -> Dhhere se aaja rey ankhiyon mein (Albela)

19) Hindi -> Ismail darbar (Dholi taro dhol baaje - Hum dil de chuke sanam)

Hi realactivex,

I agree with you on Shankar Ehsaan Loy, AR Rahman and Monty sharma, being some of the best arrangers today. I wish Rahman starts collaborating with someone who has a better feel for melody, or he could an assistant who complements him. Rahman is a great arranger and sound engineer, the only time he went wrong was with the ghazals from a movie called Tehzeeb. I would give him 10/10 for the experimentation, even if it failed in this case.

Salil Choudhury + Gulzar in film Mere Apane (म?र? ?पन? (1971))

Have you heard a master piece by Salil Choudhury from film : Mere Apne म?र? ?पन? (1971)??

The movie- 'MERE-APNEम?र? ?पन? (1971)', starring Meena Kumari, Vinod Khanna, Shatrughna Sinha and Asrani, Paintal, Danny Denzongpa, AK Hangal and others.

This movie narrates a story of unemployment, vigilante justice, failure of idealism, moralities and nonviolence, wily politicians, manipulative family members, corruption, Youth frustration, anger and discontent .

A young director, Gulzarji, who identifies with what was prevalent, captures the essence of unrest in the nation. He brings out the best in Shatrughan Sinha and Vinod Khanna. While Meena Kumari. Danny, Mehmood and the rest of the crew did their part to perfection. Shatru will keep you on the edge, Vinod Khanna will give you your money??s worth and Meena Kumari will steal your heart with her performace, Danny will leave you teary eyed. No melodrama, no histrionics.

The films music is by Salil Choudhury. It is a classic by Gulzar, it was with its time but still years ahead of it,you can still connect with issues raised by it more than 39 years ago.

(the above text is from: Mere Apne ? PassionForCinema)

And now my own review of the song: ??? ह?ता ?िस?? ?पना

The song ????? ह?ता koi hota?? is an all time favorite. And why not?

Salilji used 3 octaves in just one line of this song!! Have you heard anything like this any before?

See how it goes:

Kishor opens the song (by the way, it is a solo from Kishor) ? ??? ह?ता on higher note til ??? but in just two word of ??ह?ता ?? Kishor reaches almost a half octave below when he hits the ??ता?? that too with a fine ??mind (Glissando)??

Kishor continues with that pitch till the end of ?िस?? ?पना. Now there is brief pause very precisely timed (such delicate task only Lata can do but Kishor did this with utmost precision) , now Kishor starts gliding down further in pitch to hit the lower octave हम ?पना ?ह ल?त?? यार??.. and he achieves it. Watch the extended notes at ??ना?? of ?पना and again the precise nano pause between ?पना and ?ह and also between ल?त?? and यार??, now with a gymnast??s feet Kishor has to move on to next part , (no stopping, keep going down) to hit one more octave below पास नह?? त? द?र ह? ह?ता , again watch the fine mind blowing ??mind (Glissando)?? at द?र and the weight on ??ह?ता??, this is required as Kishor has to go further one octave down!!

ल??िन ??? म?रा ?पना. Now Kishor has reached almost at the rock bottom , can't go below that ,(Interesting to check what your woofer/sub woofer is doing at this very moment). What you hear is Kishor's real voice, his voice box is now paining and you could hear the air pushing through it .

At this ground zero what is left is pure emptiness coupled by a very deep and painful grief, I think that??s the limit, you can't take any more! Song literally stop here for a moment or two till the mendolin, flute and violins kick in.

Again in the next stanza Kishor starts with one octave up than what he stopped at ल??िन ??? म?रा ?पना. He opens with ????म?? म?? नि?द न ह?त? and again with a brief pause continues on the same pitch with ?स?? ह? त?रत? रह्त? , Kishor has sung this last ?स?? ह? त?रत? रह्त? in such a way that it literally create the feeling of त?रत? रह्त?. Then on while at next ??ब??म?? ?ा?त? हम रातपर Kishor again goes down to half octave.

Exactly at this point the whole things becomes unbearably emotional, I mean it. And final ?ह?? त? ?म ?पनाता ??? त? साथ? ह?ता just cements it. Watch that prolonged ??ना?? in the ???पनाता ?? That feeling of loneliness will thrust into your heart like a sword! After a short burst of violins Kishor has to go back to repeat ????? ह?ता ..??

This single song alone is enough to demonstrate the caliber of this music genius of Salil Choudhury!

However despite of his best possible efforts Kishor couln??t do justice to this song. The song was filmed on Vinod Khanna so Kishor was the natural choice as a playback singer but Moh. Rafi could have done a far better job here.

??? ह?ता ?िस?? ?पना , हम ?पना ?ह ल?त?? यार??
पास नह?? त? द?र ह? ह?ता, ल??िन ??? म?रा ?पना

????म?? म?? नि?द न ह?त? , ?स?? ह? त?रत? रह्त?
??ब??म?? ?ा?त? हम रातपर
?ह?? त? ?म ?पनाता ??? त? साथ? ह?ता

पुला? हु? ??? वादा बित? हु? ?ु? याद??
तनहा? द?हरात?? ह? रातपर
??? दिलासा ह?ता ??? त? ?पना ह?ता

म?र? ?पन? (1971१)

??त? ?ुलझार स???त? सलिल ??ध्रर? ?ाय?? ?िश?र ?ुमार

Please try to get this song at least on MP3 and listen , I am sure you will like it.

Regards

SUhas

Last edited:
Thanks Suhas for a lovely post. One of my favourite songs from what surely has to be one of my favourite films.

Ghulam Ali often says, 'Sur wohi jo lafz ijaazat dein' (notes should be chosen keeping the lyrics in mind). So true: the descent across three octaves captures the pathos and despondency of the lyrics perfectly.

A word on the instrumentation: the flute in particular is very effective in underlining the mood of the song.

Lovely review of an equally lovely Kishore song, Suhas.

If you liked this, then I think you might love 'Jin Raaton Ki Bhor Nahin Hain'. The music was composed by Kishore himself. This is a pretty rare song, but I think I picked this up in one of his golden collections.

There is very little to absolutely no background music in this song when Kishore's voice comes on. As far as songs soaked in grief are concerned, this is one of the best.

As far as this thread goes, some of the very best music directors have been the famed and hallowed S.D.Burman and R.D.Burman, the inimitable Ilayaraja and the precociously talented A.R.Rahman. M.S.Viswanathan-Ramamurthy too have composed some absolute gems for the Tamil Music industry.

SUhas,
Great review!

I agree to the fact that Kishore went beyond his limitations in this song, and it would have been easier for Rafi. If I continue on the hypothetical tangent, I know of just two singers capable traversing more than two octaves, and still sounding great:
  • K L Sehgal
  • Al Hibbler

While this need not spark controversy, it is my opinion that Rafi - while a brilliant and peerless practitioner of classical music - was quite limited in terms of the genres of music he could deliver.

Kishore Kumar - not classically trained he very well might be - could deliver on any type of song. The classical to the maudlin, the raunchy to the romantic, loving to the lonely. He was a singer for every mood. In a word he was far more versatile than any other singer of his age.

Which is why I rate Kishore higher than Rafi.

Somebody who did not know the fact that Kishore was not classically trained could hear 'Tum Bin Jaaoon Kahaan' or 'Mere Naina' and return back with the impression that they heard a fantastic classical singer in action.

Another singer with the same kind of versatility is S.P.Balasubramaniam.

Persi wrote foll abt Jaidev-
"But check out 'Seene Mein Jalan, Aankhon Mein Toofan..' and 'Aap Ki Yaad Aati Rahi Raat Bhar'... and you'll know what I mean. Or any track from the movie 'Gharaonda'"
Aah Yes !
You mentioned a couple of tracks & my mental jukebox started playing!
Truly a golden age of Hindi Film music!
Maybe we should start a thread"My ten all time favourite Hindi film music/Carnatic film music tracks.

Hello kamal ,
i fully agree to your views . the tracks from film "hum dono" were outstanding. i have also started the thread "My favourite top ten" but i was disappointed by the response it got from the forum any way you can visit my post at http://www.hifivision.com/music/1051-my-favourite-top-ten.html#post6929.

Re: Salil Choudhury + Gulzar in film Mere Apane (म?र? ?पन? (1971))

i can add two songs of Kishore Da as well composed by less known music directors.

1) TERI DUNIA SE HOKAR MAJBOOR CHALA (Film : Pavitra papi ) (Music Director : PREM DHAWAN )

And

2) DIL AISA KISI NE MERA TODA (Film : Amanush ) (Music Director : SHYAMAL MITRA )

Both the songs are outstanding and can find place in any top songs list of of Kishore Da compiled by any one. Am i correct?

honestly, no clue about bollywood music directors:(. obviously, ive heard the names, who hasn't (AIR FM zindabaad!:rolleyes:).

ive been trying to get my hands on some old recordings, along the lines of the once published 50 glorious years of indian cinema, a 5 CD Set. anyone know of an online store where i can purchase the CD or download FLAC/ALAC? (im not in india ATM, so i can't go to any of the stores)

anyway, since the topic of bollywood music has come up, check out this album:
bombay the hard way : guns, cars and sitars by dj shadow and dan the automator.

a very interesting narrative of the themes in indian cinema, most notably the work of anandji and kalyanji v shah, brought to you by two of the most mercurial talents in modern music, dj shadow and dan the automator (producer for the Gorillaz)

HIGHLY HIGHLY recommended.:D

i can add two songs of Kishore Da as well composed by less known music directors.

1) TERI DUNIA SE HOKAR MAJBOOR CHALA (Film : Pavitra papi ) (Music Director : PREM DHAWAN )

And

2) DIL AISA KISI NE MERA TODA (Film : Amanush ) (Music Director : SHYAMAL MITRA )

Both the songs are outstanding and can find place in any top songs list of of Kishore Da compiled by any one. Am i correct?

Yes indeed. Those are signature Kishore songs. In fact it is in melancholy that Kishore really comes into his own with his ability to emote, melt and croon us into tears. That is the sign of genius singer.

Have you heard a master piece by Salil Choudhury from film : Mere Apne म?र? ?पन? (1971)??

The movie- 'MERE-APNEम?र? ?पन? (1971)', starring Meena Kumari, Vinod Khanna, Shatrughna Sinha and Asrani, Paintal, Danny Denzongpa, AK Hangal and others.

This movie narrates a story of unemployment, vigilante justice, failure of idealism, moralities and nonviolence, wily politicians, manipulative family members, corruption, Youth frustration, anger and discontent .

A young director, Gulzarji, who identifies with what was prevalent, captures the essence of unrest in the nation. He brings out the best in Shatrughan Sinha and Vinod Khanna. While Meena Kumari. Danny, Mehmood and the rest of the crew did their part to perfection. Shatru will keep you on the edge, Vinod Khanna will give you your money??s worth and Meena Kumari will steal your heart with her performace, Danny will leave you teary eyed. No melodrama, no histrionics.

The films music is by Salil Choudhury. It is a classic by Gulzar, it was with its time but still years ahead of it,you can still connect with issues raised by it more than 39 years ago.

(the above text is from: Mere Apne ? PassionForCinema)

And now my own review of the song: ??? ह?ता ?िस?? ?पना

The song ????? ह?ता koi hota?? is an all time favorite. And why not?

Salilji used 3 octaves in just one line of this song!! Have you heard anything like this any before?

See how it goes:

Kishor opens the song (by the way, it is a solo from Kishor) ? ??? ह?ता on higher note til ??? but in just two word of ??ह?ता ?? Kishor reaches almost a half octave below when he hits the ??ता?? that too with a fine ??mind (Glissando)??

Kishor continues with that pitch till the end of ?िस?? ?पना. Now there is brief pause very precisely timed (such delicate task only Lata can do but Kishor did this with utmost precision) , now Kishor starts gliding down further in pitch to hit the lower octave हम ?पना ?ह ल?त?? यार??.. and he achieves it. Watch the extended notes at ??ना?? of ?पना and again the precise nano pause between ?पना and ?ह and also between ल?त?? and यार??, now with a gymnast??s feet Kishor has to move on to next part , (no stopping, keep going down) to hit one more octave below पास नह?? त? द?र ह? ह?ता , again watch the fine mind blowing ??mind (Glissando)?? at द?र and the weight on ??ह?ता??, this is required as Kishor has to go further one octave down!!

ल??िन ??? म?रा ?पना. Now Kishor has reached almost at the rock bottom , can't go below that ,(Interesting to check what your woofer/sub woofer is doing at this very moment). What you hear is Kishor's real voice, his voice box is now paining and you could hear the air pushing through it .

At this ground zero what is left is pure emptiness coupled by a very deep and painful grief, I think that??s the limit, you can't take any more! Song literally stop here for a moment or two till the mendolin, flute and violins kick in.

Again in the next stanza Kishor starts with one octave up than what he stopped at ल??िन ??? म?रा ?पना. He opens with ????म?? म?? नि?द न ह?त? and again with a brief pause continues on the same pitch with ?स?? ह? त?रत? रह्त? , Kishor has sung this last ?स?? ह? त?रत? रह्त? in such a way that it literally create the feeling of त?रत? रह्त?. Then on while at next ??ब??म?? ?ा?त? हम रातपर Kishor again goes down to half octave.

Exactly at this point the whole things becomes unbearably emotional, I mean it. And final ?ह?? त? ?म ?पनाता ??? त? साथ? ह?ता just cements it. Watch that prolonged ??ना?? in the ???पनाता ?? That feeling of loneliness will thrust into your heart like a sword! After a short burst of violins Kishor has to go back to repeat ????? ह?ता ..??

This single song alone is enough to demonstrate the caliber of this music genius of Salil Choudhury!

However despite of his best possible efforts Kishor couln??t do justice to this song. The song was filmed on Vinod Khanna so Kishor was the natural choice as a playback singer but Moh. Rafi could have done a far better job here.

??? ह?ता ?िस?? ?पना , हम ?पना ?ह ल?त?? यार??
पास नह?? त? द?र ह? ह?ता, ल??िन ??? म?रा ?पना

????म?? म?? नि?द न ह?त? , ?स?? ह? त?रत? रह्त?
??ब??म?? ?ा?त? हम रातपर
?ह?? त? ?म ?पनाता ??? त? साथ? ह?ता

पुला? हु? ??? वादा बित? हु? ?ु? याद??
तनहा? द?हरात?? ह? रातपर
??? दिलासा ह?ता ??? त? ?पना ह?ता

म?र? ?पन? (1971१)

??त? ?ुलझार स???त? सलिल ??ध्रर? ?ाय?? ?िश?र ?ुमार

Please try to get this song at least on MP3 and listen , I am sure you will like it.

Regards

SUhas

Your post is superb but the song is rendered superbly by kishore. salil was not fond of rafi. in 1970 hero was vinod khanna (new) any voice ould have been used on him!
in anand for rajesh hana salil used manna de., mukesh!
he was the md who will get the best singer for he song .his tunes were difficult. he specifically selected kishore for this song and for he song "gujar gaye din "( an extremely dificult song). rafi's voice thogh sweet did not have the depth of the voice of kshore and for this song it was required. mukesh was ot suited as tune was diifficult.
the choice was limted to ishore /versus may be Manna de.
looking at loi humdum na raha and the intense grief kishore was he only choice. rafi would have been very por chice for this song.
even for gujar ye din salil waited for kishore ( who was running away as tune was difficult ) salil said only ishore can do 90% justice for this song.
being a sweet voice and a ret phirat does not mean that he voice suits for all songs! GEEt sang "waqt ne kiya kya hasi sitam" better han lata would have sung.
This was simply not a rafi number. u just cant even imagine rafi "koi hota jisko" It will be disaster the same disaster hat will result when kishore sings " man tarpat"

'Slumdog Millionaire' music wins A R Rahman Satellite Award'

WASHINGTON: Noted music director A R Rahman has added a Satellite Award to his Golden Globe nomination for Best Original Score for his music in
British director Danny Boyle's uplifting underdog tale "Slumdog Millionaire".

Apart from Rahman's award, the Mumbai set and shot film has won two more annual Satellite Awards given by the International Press Academy for Best Picture-Drama and Best Director for Boyle.

The film tells the heart warming story of an 18-year-old orphan from the slums of Mumbai who goes on to win a staggering Rs.20 million ($420,000) on India's "Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?" game show.

"Slumdog Millionaire" has also tied with "WALL.E", a computer-animated-science fiction-romance film, for the Best Picture award from the Boston Society of Film Critics, besides winning the Best Editing prize.

Named as one of the Top 10 films of 2008 by Associated Press movie writer David Germain, ranking at number four, "Slumdog Millionaire" has also won four EDA (Excellent Dynamic Activism) Awards from the Alliance of Women Film Journalists (AWFJ), including Best Film and Best Direction.

The awards are named in honor of AWFJ founder Jennifer Merin's mother, Eda Reiss Merin, a stage, film and television actress whose career spanned more than 60 years.

With a total gross of $8,073,000 and a weekend gross of $2,200,000, up 57 percent from last weekend, "Slumdog Millionaire" remained in the North American Top 12 for a fourth consecutive weekend despite playing in a limited number of theatres. It will ON Friday expand from 169 to 500 theaters in all major cities across North America.

The film has also earned three other nominations for Best Picture-Drama, Best Director for Boyle and Best Screenplay for Simon Beaufoy for 2008 Golden Globe Awards given by Hollywood Foreign Press Association.

Earlier last week, "Slumdog Millionaire" won two awards from the Los Angeles Film Critics Association - Best Director for Boyle and Best Music for Rahman. It also won the runner-up prize for Best Cinematography for Anthony Dod Mantle.

The film has also won the Best Cinematography prize from The New York Film Critics' Circle and earned six Critics Choice Award nominations for Picture, Director (Boyle), Writer (Beaufoy), Young Actor (Dev Patel), Composer (Rahman), and Song ("Jai Ho").

Courtesy - Times of India 17 Dec 2008

1. S.D burman
2. Madanmohan
3 rahuldev burman
4 a r rehman
5 Vasant desai.
6 pankaj mullick.
And nobody has posted comment on my note for koi hota. salil is not one who will go by wave. he used mukesh for rajesh khanna.
Salil was not fond of rafi at all.The song mentioned koi hota jisko apna by salilis excellently sung by kishpre. in fact salil waited as he felt onlly kishore could do 90% justice o the song. he never remarked that kishore has not sung it suerbly neither due to vinod khanna kishore was called. rafi would habe miserable in this song . It seems that u rate a singer only by ocal range anad allapi but cpturing mood and ethos in song is more important in music. rafi has failed on this in 60% of the songs. in fact tyhjis song demonstrates hat not onlyrafi but kishore had amazing range and in fact a deep voice at high pitch. rafi acked he depth and tenderness of kishore( the song yeh Jeevan hai is vry soft softer than a lori song .again a marvellous kisore song.
Another marvellous kishore song is "kabtak andhere chalate rahenge" ! u simply get stuned by thge rendering and there is almost no background music!

1. S.D burman
2. Madanmohan
3 rahuldev burman
4 a r rehman
5 Vasant desai.
6 pankaj mullick.
And nobody has posted comment on my note for koi hota. salil is not one who will go by wave. he used mukesh for rajesh khanna.
Salil was not fond of rafi at all.The song mentioned koi hota jisko apna by salilis excellently sung by kishpre. in fact salil waited as he felt onlly kishore could do 90% justice o the song. he never remarked that kishore has not sung it suerbly neither due to vinod khanna kishore was called. rafi would habe miserable in this song . It seems that u rate a singer only by ocal range anad allapi but cpturing mood and ethos in song is more important in music. rafi has failed on this in 60% of the songs. in fact tyhjis song demonstrates hat not onlyrafi but kishore had amazing range and in fact a deep voice at high pitch. rafi acked he depth and tenderness of kishore( the song yeh Jeevan hai is vry soft softer than a lori song .again a marvellous kisore song.
Another marvellous kishore song is "kabtak andhere chalate rahenge" ! u simply get stuned by thge rendering and there is almost no background music!
So happy to see someone mentioning Pankaj Mullick and Vasant Desai. Great MD's they were. And, I absolutely concur that Kishore's rendering of Kaha Tak Ye Mann Ko is just out of the world!!

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back