Music Fidelity + Gamut = problems?

Olegus5

I need a professional advice.
Recently I bought a stereo system: acoustics Gamut Phi3 + integrated amplifier Music Fidelity m6i + CD Music Fidelity M6CD. But Ive got some problems from the very first days.
After several days of listening I noticed that one speaker does not sound properly there is no bass, the sound is very weak. The second speaker played well, except for some songs with rough percussions. It chatters on songs like Stranger in Moscow of Michael Jackson when I turn up the volume to 15 mins position. It started to chatter and jar when I firstly put this song on volume of 30 mins position (there is sound of rain and then suddenly starts percussions). The CD is of high quality, so I doubt it caused such thing.
I gave the acoustics back to the seller. They changed a dynamic of one speaker, where was the weak sound. However, they assure me that the second speaker with chattering works fine. It really works fine but with slow music, like jazz. But fails to work properly with rough percussions on loud volume.
I doubt that the speaker is in good condition, because the acoustics have a power margin: the amplifier is designed for 200 W, the acoustics for 300 W. Is it possible to kill a speaker with such characteristics when you turn on the volume no more than on a half?
And is it really possible that such chattering on some songs is OK for pricey acoustics when the volume is on 15 mins. position?

I think that the problems could occur because of non-conformity of impedance the acoustics has 4 Ohm, the amplifier 8 Ohm.

Privet !!!

It seems more like a problem with the speakers.

With low impedance, harm is most likely to occur in the amp and not the speakers. From your description, it seems to me that the speakers are not working fine.

Try your present setup with another pair of speakers.
You can even try interchanging the left and right speakers and confirm that the problem is actually with the speakers itself.

Last edited:
As Divakar said, at 4 ohms your amp must be pumping enough juice for the speakers. Secondly, when you say 300 watts for a speakers, remember, that is the power at which the speakers will start frying.

Th easiest solution would be to ask the dealer for a spare set of speakers and try out. Eliminate all the possible culprits one by one - whatever is left is the bad guy.

Cheers

couple of things here

your speaker is a low impedence ( 4ohms ) low sensitivity speaker 86 db
so though the low sensitivity demands more more the lower impedence makes up- though it gets more difficult to drive

your amps puts in 200W at 8 ohms - more at 4 ohms ( remember continuous rms values dont double up i.e 400 - it depends from amp to amp - some amps provide continious rms only 30% more in the real world)

You need to make sure of the follwoing
1 . if your stereo amp has a 4 ohm setting please use that rather than the 8 or 6 ohm default
2.the amp provides the speaker enough power
IN fact i like my amps to provide 3 times the continous power as my speaker is rated for
3.your amp will therefore not clip at any level- infact the distortions you hear are because your speakr can handle it
if 0 volume is at 6o clock try to stay below 11 o clock
above this you will hear distortion since the speaker will be overdriven

great amp
nice speaker
both should work
when you upgrade sell the speaker - keep the amp

if 0 volume is at 6o clock try to stay below 11 o clock
above this you will hear distortion since the speaker will be overdriven

great amp
nice speaker
both should work
when you upgrade sell the speaker - keep the amp

Great advice! I have never explored the territory beyond the 12 'clock position in any amp I have owned. I think at 3 'clock you will definitely hear distortion.

Your amp is a great one. I have the M3i (not for long though, A1008 is coming this saturday!) and I am really pleased with it. I have also auditioned the M6i and would have bought it if I could afford it. Very musical and beautifully built.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back