Music from Gandhi Ashram School

moktan

Hi All,
The town that I live in is a small blip in this country. Apart from its scenic beauty and occasional disturbances of a political nature, there isn't much that would attract the attention of people outside.
And yet musically there is a fair bit going on here.
I am talking about the Gandhi Ashram School started by the Jesuits .
Meant for young kids from extremely impoverished backgrounds the school- apart from imparting regular education- provides its pupils a thorough grounding on theories and practices of Western Classical music.
The project which was started 1993 is finally bearing fruit.
Kids who have been provided this opportunity are regularly excelling and some are even availing off scholarship opportunities in renowned music schools of Germany.
Concerts in major European cities considered sophisticated meccas for western classical music are a regular affair.
Recently one of its young pupils was the winner of the Kolkata leg of selections for the Global Music Competition to be held later in Sydney.
It was reported that in the finals the 11 year old kid faced off another girl from Shillong and gave a virtuoso interpretation of Henryk Wieniawskis rendition of Polanaise Brillante.
He his now scheduled to play in the all India finals to be held at Hydrabad on December 6.
I am of course no great fan of Western Classical music, but thought it appropriate to share with forum members a heart warming story.
Of late this school has earned a fair bit of media attention in the West and India.
One documentary- Fiddlers on the Thatch- directed by Trisha Das won two National Awards (Best Documentary & Best Music) at the Indian National Film Awards 2005 .
Another one funded by the EU and produced by Barcelona-based Moo Productions and Enunai Productions , and directed by Nestor Perera is expected to be completed by the middle of next year
You can read more about the school at Gandhi Ashram School - Kalimpong India, Welcome to the Gandhi Ashram School at K .
Thanks ...

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back