Music Getting Sadder?

“Sadness is so widespread among youngsters (especially teen girls) that the Centers for Disease Control is now tracking it. So we shouldn’t be surprised that music and cultural indicators reflect the same reality.”

Have not read the article, but I have always found sad music to be the most beautiful, however most of my sad music is from 1960s-2000s..

It’s not so much about the aesthetic of sad music as a viewpoint on the convergence of sociocultural, political and mental health issues among young people in the US evaluated by their choices of music. The link to the CDC research is in the article.
Have a read; you might find it interesting too.

Hasn't someone linked it to Global Warming, Increased Plastic Use, Sedentary Lifestyle and Overindulgence in Social Media?
AI and Knowledge Availability at the tip of fingers that can predict ones future trajectory with reliable accuracy is making people Sadder than they should be?

I'm just listing the usual suspects here 😉

Hasn't someone linked it to Global Warming, Increased Plastic Use, Sedentary Lifestyle and Overindulgence in Social Media?
AI and Knowledge Availability at the tip of fingers that can predict ones future trajectory with reliable accuracy is making people Sadder than they should be?

I'm just listing the usual suspects here 😉
You just did!

The world in general is getting sadder - pandemics followed by wars followed by depression and job losses. I am not surprised music is getting sadder as a result.

The world in general is getting sadder - pandemics followed by wars followed by depression and job losses. I am not surprised music is getting sadder as a result.
I think that’s what the article alludes to. The state of the economy, politics and the perception of the future by young people may be linked to their choices of music but is not explored in this research.

It would be interesting if they did take a sample from this group and studied ther perceptions, opinions and feelings….

Even if these causes were found to be linked would you expect current elected leaders to do something about it or people voting incompetent politicians to power?

Back