Music player for bedroom setup with spdif out

adhingra

Hi, I am currently running an old iPod classic 160gb with a Logitech dock as my bedroom setup for nearly a decade.

Looking to upgrade to a no fuss headless media player setup paired with some bookshelves like Edifier S2000 or Swan MA that I may pick on my next trip to China/US.

I have been trawling through the forums to get a sense on what other users have as their media player and have seen quite a few mentions of Allo as well as Chinese Android boxes like HiMedia.

Most of my music for this setup will be on external HDD and I am not sure that an allo/RPI based player can power it?

I want a headless setup that can just play all my music on shuffle in a low fuss package. This is exactly what my decade old iPod does well. I really don’t care about movies and TV shows much and have an Intel NUC as my main rig.

Can you please chime in on possible options that can

1. Play headless from external HDD
2. Has SPDIF out so that the setup is future ready and slightly fungible with various active speaker options that I am weighing
3. Easy to setup and run. My computer literacy and DIY skills are pretty rudimentary
4. Budget USD 100-150 but not really rigid

Appreciate all your inputs and guidance in advance.

Do try the Sonos Connect. Can play of a WD my cloud where you could store your music. The Sonos app integrates with the WD app along with all the possible music services available in India.

Has Coaxial and optical out.
Extremely easy to setup and a lovely app.
Just a Internet connection and you have all the music you want.
All though it is about $300. Get someone to carry it for you from the US. It’s ridiculously expensive here.

Hi, I am currently running an old iPod classic 160gb with a Logitech dock as my bedroom setup for nearly a decade.

Looking to upgrade to a no fuss headless media player setup paired with some bookshelves like Edifier S2000 or Swan MA that I may pick on my next trip to China/US.

I have been trawling through the forums to get a sense on what other users have as their media player and have seen quite a few mentions of Allo as well as Chinese Android boxes like HiMedia.

Most of my music for this setup will be on external HDD and I am not sure that an allo/RPI based player can power it?

I want a headless setup that can just play all my music on shuffle in a low fuss package. This is exactly what my decade old iPod does well. I really don’t care about movies and TV shows much and have an Intel NUC as my main rig.

2. Has SPDIF out so that the setup is future ready and slightly fungible with various active speaker options that I am weighing
3. Easy to setup and run. My computer literacy and DIY skills are pretty rudimentary

Allo Digione Signature player comes to mind. Fits the bill as well.

Thanks I was considering Sonos5 recently but the Amazon reviews are really patchy related to network issues.

allo digione is top of my shortlist but not sure if if it can power external HDD and how easily can I navigate my collection on the HDD using a smartphone app. Still figuring that part!

Thanks I was considering Sonos5 recently but the Amazon reviews are really patchy related to network issues.

allo digione is top of my shortlist but not sure if if it can power external HDD and how easily can I navigate my collection on the HDD using a smartphone app. Still figuring that part!

Sonos Play 5 does not have a spdif out. Just a line in. Have 21 Sonos units in various rooms at home for over 6 years. In all honesty never had a problem. Have a regular Airtel line. If you are placed in Bangalore please feel free to drop by. Would be happy to show you how it works. It’s simply brilliant.

But as mentioned earlier pricing in India is ridiculous

Hi, i was using the pi3, both with alloboss and digione, headless running on Rune Audio and the SQ was very good. Rune audio is brilliant. Love the dark theme.

You can isolate the alloboss from the pi very easily by quick jumper settings. Alloboss Jumper Setting. What this basically does is, it stops the alloboss from recieving power from the pi, so now the pi has more power from its stock psu. Now you can add a cleaner power supply from a power bank to the alloboss.

If you are not comfortable with this, then you can get a very good 3A psu from here - diyaudiocart. This should be more than enough to power the pi, alloboss and the hdd.

Some old external hdd do not tend to work, so for that you can use a hdd Y cable.

Above tips were shared by fellow FM mpsantosh. I urge you to try Runeaudio once.

Have you considered Google Chromecast? CCA is tough to get, however, the HDMI version along with an HDMI extractor such as MagiDeal HDMI to ARC Audio Converter 4Kx2K Extractor w/ Toslink SPDIF Optical 3D CEC can do a pretty decent job, and it does come with an optical out. If you get a USB hub, a powered one, you could hook up a drive too to it. Plus with HDMI there, you are totally future proof. Plug it in if you get a receiver, a sound bar, anything.

There are tons of Chromecasts available on OLX cos people have not tried to realize its reach and applicability.

MaSh

Am not sure if you would prefer one of the the below options..

Option 1) - How abt an android mobile loaded with digital files on Micro SD card + connected to a digital amplifier (SMSL Q5 Pro, FX Audio) thru micro USB + passive speakers.. Most android mobile supports digital out thru OTG.. You get the flexibility of choosing a song with touch screen as well as charging the device (guess so) at the same time..

Option 2) - FX Audio M160E (or) 200E, which have USB support (FAT 32) as well as SD card support.. Don't think it would support External HDD.. But it for sure would support upto 64GB pendrive + any passive speakers..

Great inputs and many thanks for chiming in.

I am leaning towards a pi based solution like allo paired with powered monitors to keep the setup clean and high on WAF!

Would post once I have done some more diligence and have everything in place.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back