Musical Evening in Bangalore...

saikat

Ever since I decided to get myself a starter audio setup, all I have been doing is comparing product A to product B, looking at VFM, performance at a price-point, reading reviews and soliciting advice. I might even be able to rattle off a details like speaker A sensitivity is x dB and range is y-z Hz.

Today evening as well, I was on the quest for a VFM bookshelf speaker audition. Thankfully after the audition, I spend almost an hour listening to the Emerald Physics CS2 and then the Anthony Gallo Nucleus Reference 3.1 powered by the Odyssey Stratus and the new Usher cdp. It was bliss... Have been listening to Floyd for almost a decade now and what I heard today was very very different.. I need to thank Ali for his time and patience.

Its after all about the music and not the equipment; but then again its the equipment which results in the music...umm.. err.. okay...:confused:

PS: Try listening to a VFM bookshelf after all this...:rolleyes:

Hi,

Hmm Busy man ! so whats next on the menu ?? who's your next victim ?;)
So when's our session (love to be victim in this case) ?

Good that you are going places and working towards your goal !

Regards.

Hi,

Today evening as well, I was on the quest for a VFM bookshelf speaker audition. Thankfully after the audition, I spend almost an hour listening to the Emerald Physics CS2 and then the Anthony Gallo Nucleus Reference 3.1 powered by the Odyssey Stratus and the new Usher cdp. It was bliss... Have been listening to Floyd for almost a decade now and what I heard today was very very different.. I need to thank Ali for his time and patience.

I just saw the specs of CS2 and read about it on 6moons. You are now spoilt for choices!

Its after all about the music and not the equipment; but then again its the equipment which results in the music...umm.. err.. okay...:confused:

Well said! Now you have confused everyone. ;)

PS: Try listening to a VFM bookshelf after all this...:rolleyes:

What you heard also seems VFM! See what 6moons have to say. Its just that it is not a budget speaker :p (BTW what was its value?)

Regards,
Prasad.

Hi
So you heard the CS2's? Unfortunately they have all of about 10 hours, we have had no time to break them in :mad:
Which other bookshelf speakers did you hear? I remember you heard the Usher 520s and the 718s

cheers
Sridhar

@soundsgreat: Ahem! Didn't know you had a fetish for being a victim... :D:D

@pnredkar: Spoiled yes; unfortunately that does not increase my budget..:(

@sridhar: They are awesome. I also listened to the Usher 520 and the Dali Icon 1. Ali said the 520's also need to be broken in. If you want any help breaking in the CS2's I would love to help... :D

The CS2??s are quite nice.
Btw: If you are looking at VFM bookshelf speakers, have a good look at the 520??s.
The price is vfm but the performance is will match speakers at much higher prices. :D

Hi,
Vinny, I did hear the 520's, they are very nice.

To continue the saga, listened to a couple of Mordaunt Short's today. IMO (a)as a complete newbie b)without audiophile ears).

The 902i is okay, the 904i I felt was good value for money, with decent mid/uppers and okay lows.

However it was the 906i which kind of surprised me. They are 2.5 way speakers with 5in mid/bass drivers, but they sounded very ``composed''. I like this one. Try listening to Hotel California on it.. Comments by people listening to it would be appreciated..

I also heard a pair of Boston Acoustics.. AC/DCs hells bells packed quite a punch, but unfortunately, the mids/upper freqs sounded coloured (attempt at using audiophile lingo...:p). Okay, it felt that the entire sound was a bit ``bright'' while playing softer music.

The amplifier was a CA 740A and the source was the CA 640. Maybe I should go and test them with the NAD C352 once...

Wish I could listen to the 914i/916i though.. Can anyone shed some light on the difference with the 904/6i?

Enjoy....:cool:

Last edited:
Just another update for whoever cares to read...:)

Yesterday I visited Sreekanth's (soundsgreat) place to listen to his setup. I was very impressed with the quality of his speaker design. You should check out the solid bass, excellent mids/highs and that too with an almost new the 6.5' bass driver.

If you do happen to visit him, ask him for a demo with his dire straits hdcd; its a treat to listen to them.

Great work buddy and thanks for the wonderful time...

Hi,

Thanks for the compliments Buddy !! I was very skeptical bout showing you the speakers with the new drivers( I always make sure Am 100% satisfied with the result before showing it to anyone),But since you know I didn't have time to undo the changes ! I had to show you with the new drivers ! so very glad that you liked it :D!

You are welcome its was nice having you !!

Regards.

Had a great afternoon listening to the Ushers today. Wonderful experience and I'd go on to say the Be718 is the biggest bargain in Hifi right now. The fit and finish of the speakers is really classy and they way they sing is astounding. The tweeter on them is hands down the best tweeter I've heard this side of a couple of lacs. Also had a chance to compare the Odyssey Stratos+Candela Pre-power with a tiny 30W red wine audio 30.2 integrated based on the tripath chip. The latter was simply marvelous. Shall be taking my own electronics either tomorrow or day after depend upon both my and sridhar's schedules. Anyone else wanting to join the party is most welcome.

hey saikath,
Your anytime welcome to help the breaking of the Emerald Physics,;)

hey saikath,
Your anytime welcome to help the breaking of the Emerald Physics,;)

Ali

When i am welcomed for some training from you...:confused:

And not to forget the Hot Sizzlings & Mouth Watering Pizzas...:D

Break some of your head in me too re, then i may help you burning the Emrald Physics...

Hey anyways, howz your Pal, that uncle, i met that day...:p

I had two awesome evenings fiddling with the equipment at ARN and got along mine too. Finally booked the usher BE-718 :D

Sorry for being quite so long...

Disclaimer: Everything I write here is IMO.

In the last thread, I had mentioned about the MS 906i surprising me. So off I went this Saturday with a friend to test it with my NAD C352. The sound was very different and we didn??t like it at all. It was somehow all wrong.

Setup: CA 640 cdp-> NAD -> speaker selector (active)-> speaker

Next we went to check out the Wharfedale 8.4, which also sounded weird with the NAD. When connected to the 9.5??s the sound got a little better but somehow, something was amiss.

Setup: Marantz cd changer-> NAD -> speaker selector (passive)-> speaker

At these showrooms, we noticed a speaker selector switch (passive in one and active in another). Don??t know if this can cause any problems. Also not sure about the quality of cables used either. Heard so much about these speakers that at the end of these two demo??s we were pretty sure there was a problem with the amp.

Finally we (being very disappointed) landed up at ARN to listen to the CS2??s?:D

After listening to the ordeal, Ali refused to believe that there was a problem with the amp (having used it himself) and he hooked it up to the Dali Ikon 1.

Setup: Usher cdp-> NAD-> Dali Ikon 1. Groneberg (spelling?) interconnects with Monster speaker cables (500/mtr).

And voila, it started to sing. Next we hooked up a bookshelf from Odessey and finally the MA BR5. All there combinations were really nice.

Went with the BR5 eventually although I would suggest the Dali to anyone who doesn??t require substantial bass (add a sub in that case). Its not that the Dali does not have bass, its just that the BR5??s is slightly better at it. For mid??s-highs, I would myself prefer the Dali. But keep in mind that they need to be put on solid stands.

Current system state: GEIC dvd player -> NAD-> BR5. Monster interconnects and cables. The dvd player is borrowed from a good friend, who wishes to remain anonymous?:D

Current self state: Broke but happy? :)

Enjoying music,
Saikat.

Ali

When i am welcomed for some training from you...:confused:

And not to forget the Hot Sizzlings & Mouth Watering Pizzas...

Break some of your head in me too re, then i may help you burning the Emrald Physics...

Hey anyways, howz your Pal, that uncle, i met that day...

hey mridul,
anytime only for music,:p
Pizzas on your tab, mridul plz come everyday..:D
Uncle asks for you everyday...:D
rgds,
ali

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back