My Audeze LCD-X

Sunderpalanivel

Hi Friends,

I have been away for some time form the forum. Off late I was not able to use my HIFI as we had a baby last year, so I sold my system as it looks like for next few years I wont be able to use them (My son seem to like the screwdriver and spanners so much).

Today I have turned a new leaf in my hobby and bought an Audeze LCD-X headphone as using the headphone seem to be my only option to listen to music for me now.

So some initial impressions...

- Out of the box it sounded somewhat thin. I thought it could be due to the fact that I tried it from my mobile phone. Later I went home and tried it with my mac book pro and I was not wrong. This time it sounded much better and open. I immediately liked the way it sounded (This was my first experience with open back). However still the sound was brighter to my taste and the sound stage was narrower . I know following could be the reason
- I was driving it from my laptop which has no taste for any music. So no wonder it sounds bright.
- All the songs in my Mac are bought from apple store so they are all loosy files
- The headphone required some burn-in. So I have been letting it run through night for last couple of days. Im planning to do this for a whole week.

So now what I plan to do is..

- Though Audeze claims that LCD-X could be driven from phone or laptop and does not require an amp, I dont agree with that. Not only does it require an external AMP (low powered amp is fine though) more importantly it deserves a very good DAC.

- So I plan to buy IFI idsd for now and in future I Plan to get

idsd (as DAC)->itube-> ican (When I save some money)

- Start using my windows laptop with foo bar and use the hi-res files which I bought from HD Tracks .com.

Will try to post some pics later.

Thanks for reading.. As always happy sharing with you all.

If anyone has any alternative suggestion or idea that might work better and less expensive :eek:hyeah: please do share your thoughts.

Cheers.:licklips:

Last edited:
Pics or didn't happen!

Seriously though! I'm jelly! Maybe if I get a loan and then sell my house and then sell my car and then some, I may be able to buy these *sigh*

Congrats though and have fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun!

Awesome stuff. Any reason you went for this instead of the LCD3?

From what I read in various reviews it looks like LCD-x is better in terms of sound stage and sounds bit entertaining compared to LCD-3. I dont know but I just went based on the trust that I cant go wrong with either of these. :lol:

And yes it much easy to drive so I dont need powerful amp

Last edited:
Have been using the LCD-X connected straight to my MAC's headphone jack..humm not bad but its not a satisfying experience. So I have been looking for a transportable DAC and AMP in one box and after doing a lot of research I had ordered the Rresonessence labs concero hp waiting for the courier to reach me. In the mean while anyone using this amp ? it will be great to hear some experiences.

Try fiio e11 amp if flexible go Fiio e18. If mid budget highly recommend Fiio mont blanc hp amp good sq portable. Good sq E18 and Mont blanc can easily drive heavy ohm hps.

Try fiio e11 amp if flexible go Fiio e18. If mid budget highly recommend Fiio mont blanc hp amp good sq portable. Good sq E18 and Mont blanc can easily drive heavy ohm hps.

some people are going to have a hear attack if they see lcd x used with fiio

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back