My Audio Learning Process

mohamednaseer

Hello Friends,

I am keep on reading the thread many persons are investing more money on their first system.
I also spend more on my initial stage because of I thought I had money. After that my audio experience is
like journey and now I am thinking I had wasted money when I was not understand what I need. So as per my little knowledge I am writing below points and I dont know it is valuable or not. And
still I am in the entry level of learning. Following are my stages,

1.Bass and treble

Here we will decide a system giving more bass and treble that is good system .So we will decide a system with high wattage is the good system. In this stage we will satisfy with Rs 10 K system .

2.Midbass

Here we will understand in stereo hearing the bass is not important and bass should be feel and wattage also not important even 10 watt good system is ok. In this stage we will think to get a mild system.Here we will go for next level of investment.

3.Vocal
In this stage we will go for next level and understand the importance of the vocal.we will search for good system will give good vocal. need to go for next level of investment. Up to this we have to concentrate on speaker and amp.

Up to this step we can understand this with any music even tamil or hindi songs and old ilayaraja songs.

4.Sound Stage
I got understand above 3 steps now what i need next?.i have small room i find that all the sound is between two speaker and i am able to feel i am hearing in small room.I want to increase the width of the voice and instrument also go beyond 2 speaker. Here i will concentrate on speaker wire and interconnect also.

5.Instrument Separation --

In this stage we can go for English songs with more instruments play at the same time.
Here you can feel the every instruments .Now i am able to feel my speakers are disappear. I was not able to see the speaker place. Here you can go for next level of investment.

6.Live Concert

Finally your journey almost end with Live concert. Here what you expect is if you close your eyes that orchestra will come before you and you can even identify where the person sitting in the orchestra.

Every body start their journey with Arrahman,Ilayaraja Songs and enjoy the bass and treble. Finally they will ended in the symphony and live concerts.

In my understanding whenever we are going to invest money we need to set the expectation what we need.Therewe can set the our budget. Even if you are crorepathy if you are in stage 1 investing laks of rupees in cable is not worth.At the same time if you are in beyond stage 6 .Spending every money will give some worth to you.

This is what i am learning in my journey. In my experience when a person start his system they will waste so much moneygo get good system(Me also) without knowing what he expect.sombody will spend money to proudly saying i am having this set up.One point of time they will understand the above stages and understand the system then they will stop spending money exceed their need.

According to my little experience before spending huge money decide what you need from system for that what is the maximum budget we can spend.Always set one song is to validate your setup and listen that song as many time in your system.
Whenever you getting chance to listen a new system first you listen your selectes song and this will help you to understand the what is the difference between your system and new system.
So spending 5 lakh Rs is not waste if he know what he need.

mohamed, this is well return and a ideal scenario.

Another set of stages, to be taken with a pinch of salt :)
1. Surfing the net aimlessly. Have some amount of surplus income generally spent on gadgets
2. Run across hifivision.com, read read read.
3. 'Want' of owning hi end gadgets, income + credit can support purchase.
4. Purchases satisfies wants in the short term. Provides 'demonstration' (economics term) effect.
5. Diminishing Marginal Utility Theory comes into play. Increasing expenses satisfy lesser and lesser wants. Increasing income + credit continue to support purchases.

Naseer

A very good article. You almost nailed it. Yes we all went thru these stages and stages between these also. This a expensive hobby and once the bug bites, it creates a big hole in your wallet which is almost impossible to plug. The hunger for quality products increses as and when you learn more about the technology and what manufacturers have to offer to enjoy the best possible. The more we read and learn, the more we spend. What you suggest makes sense. First understand what we need and map our purchases properly and stay with it for long, so that we suck out every penny of it. Easy to say and difficult to impliment, atleast for me :)

My advice is to venture only into used stable products for Stereo. Earlier i am into purely movies and have a decent setup which i still hold for last five years which i am happy with that ( Marantz AVR7002 / Jamo/ Wharf-DFS ). That was my first purchase and not upgraded the same for last 5 years..

But the second stage after entering stereo with low budget and steadily increasing my setup with high end after testing my patience of sticking with stereo music. Now that i could see i can survive in stereo slightly entering into big league and by end of next year will end up with final big one.. That is my target..:lol:

2 channel is costlier than 5 channel atlast:p:p:p

The OP reminds me of a joke I read long ago. The director of a college was reacting to a fund request made by the Physics department. They wanted to buy some very expensive equipment for doing research.

"You physicists keep asking for money. Look at the Mathematicians, all they need is a pen, lots of paper and a wastebasket. And the philosophers are still better, they don't even need the wastebasket; they publish everything."

Last edited:
Myself in Stage-3 I guess with vigorous listening to English songs-instrumentals-ghazals just started. Had been with Stage-1 for a long time and those days I had really thought if I could slide down the mid-bands of my locally built 11+11 band graphic equaliser further down from the xtreme, so that I could get the lows n highs more clear!!!

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back