my AV setup

@ Pdhanwada: Nice set-up. Can You post the cost of each equipment please? If possible post some individual pics of the equipments and a small review.

Enjoy!!!!:)

Posting the Photograph of the rack at it was pasted horizontally in my earlier post.

Rack: Top shelf CD changer
Next one Preamp(B&K)
Next one MHDT havana and below it is Akai DVD player(No BR player Yet)
Next 7270 B&K AMP.
Cables (SPeaker Canare cables from Blue jeans.com)
Interconnects are also from Blue jeans.com
Projector AE 900U. Throw distance 14 ft.
Room Size 17X13X10

I started my Audio journey In 1998 when I first got my Energy Take 5 with Yamaha htr 5150. I had also bought Energy ES XL 12 at that time. It costed me about $1200 then. I had also bought Technics SL MC-7 110 cd changer then which still runs on my current system.

Had enjoyed my system for a while but was not satisfied with Energy speakers for the Music though it was good for movies.

I had planned to move back to India in 2006 during that period, I was hunting for better speakers to replace my Energy take 5. Started going thru lot of threads on Audioreview.com went thru the reviews, auditioned some of them. I liked Paradigm S-8's then but they were out of my budget as they would cost about $7000. I felt S-4's would be fine with an additional Sub.

I learnt that separate preamp and AMP would be the way to go. I bought B&K preamp and B&K 7270 AMP thru a ebay seller. Also added up Panasonic AE 900U from Projector central.com.

Since then Added REL strata III sub in Jan 2009 and MHDT Havana in April 2010.

Been Happy with all my equipment sofar. Paradigms are little forward sounding but soundstage is wide , Deep and huge. B&K provides enough power for the paradigms. Not sure about the preamp but I dont expect huge improvement on that front with an upgrade. REL has made very big difference ever since it got added to my system. This wonderful piece of equipment, it mixes with my bookshelves very well. It produces very balanced Bass no boom.

Just kind of looking for improvements by changing placements, changing cables, Hanging carpets to the wall.

What I have learnt over the years.

Speakers need to be best to get best sound. Dont compromise on Speakers quality. Once you want to change them, Everything gets affected. Take time go slow. Buy items in phased manner. Dont be in a hurry. Audio freaks always want to look for better.

Thanks
Pandu

Last edited:
Hegde:
Cost as follows

Speakers (S4 and C3) $4000(new)
B&K preamp and AMp $1700(used)
Cables $200(new)
Panasonic AE 900U $1200(new)
REL sub $900(used)
MHDT havana $800(new)
SL MC-7(cd changer) $150(new)

Thanks
Pandu

Hey Pdhanwada nice setup:)

I always wanted to hear the Paradigm S4 speakers, how's the sound?
They are very costly:mad: unfortunately can't lay my hands on them:sad:

They must be pretty heavy?

Congrats 4 a good set-up!

Regards,

Francis

At the dealer's place I listened to S8's and S4's. In the Mids and Highs I didnt see much difference. SO I picked up S4's thinking of adding a Sub later which I did. I am happy about it.

Combined with my REL Strata III sub my S-4's are no less than any comparable floorstanders . The Bass extension is very deep. I enjoy every bit of it.

On Average I spend atleast 10 hours per week listening to music. Mostly I listen to Bollywood and TOllywood songs.

Thanks
Pandu

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back