My AVR good for movies, Bad for music. Should I change my AVR or buy a stereo amp?

Naveenbnc

Hello All,

Right now I am satisfied with my AVR for movies. But it is not good for music.

So which of the following options is a good move?
1. Sell this AVR and buy a new AVR that is good for both Movies and Music.
2. Use this AVR for movies, and buy a Norge (or any other brand) sterio amplifier for music.

Right now I am using YHT196 avr with Taga 606SE speaker set. This combo is doing a good job for movies, but sterio is not that good.

(I have to study if there are any AVRs good for music and movies in 30k Budget)

Any help from seniors will be a great help for me...
Thanks
Naveen

Re: My AVR good for movies, Bad for music. Should I change my AVR or buy a stereo amp

No.

Before you upgrade to stereo amp, see if you can upgrade the speakers because speakers make the most difference

Re: My AVR good for movies, Bad for music. Should I change my AVR or buy a stereo amp

Ideally different setups are better.

For your 30K budget consider the JBL LSR305 active speakers, will blow away everything else in that budget and your current AVR setup.

Other options to considers are Swans and AudioEngine active speakers.

Or else save up more money and go for better separates.

Hello All,

2. Use this AVR for movies, and buy a Norge (or any other brand) sterio amplifier for music.

Right now I am using YHT196 avr with Taga 606SE speaker set. This combo is doing a good job for movies, but sterio is not that good.

(I have to study if there are any AVRs good for music and movies in 30k Budget)

Any help from seniors will be a great help for me...
Thanks
Naveen

Hello Naveen,

I use the same AVR except that my front LR is Q-Acoustics 2010, I am quite satisfied with the Stereo performance. Switch to Straight or Straight enhancer mode and enjoy your music. If required, switch the sub-woofer to NO so that the full range is sent to your L-R channels. Especially with TAGA speaker set, it can handle the low's as well. My Q-Acoustics are rated around 68Hz (bottom end) so they are crossed over at 80Hz, if the Taga's can go lower than 60Hz then change the cross over and check how they sound. It is better to experiment with current setup before investing in new gear, just my 2 cents.

Thanks & Regards,
Rajiv

What is your source for music? You can get great improvements with a good source. I have HTR 3067 with Polk S15 bookshelves. Initially I also felt it is not performng well for music. At that time I was playing mostly MP3s. Now that I have switched to Apple music, I am getting much better music performance.

At 30K, you will not get any AVR with vastly improved music capabilities. At least you will need Marantz 5011 onwards or Yamaha Aventage series AVR for that. So better not take any knee-jerk decision now.

Yes. Marantz SR series is very good for music as well. However the prices are gone steep.When I have purchased my Marantz SR 5008 in 08/ 2015, it was 57,000. Rs which is half of the current price.
You can try the used integrated Marantz or Yamaha amps to see the difference with out denting much on your pocket. Again here source also play a major role. So you need to get good source also.

Sent from my Lenovo K50a40 using Tapatalk

What is your music player? CD player, PC? A DAC might help.

Hello All,

Thank you so much for all the suggestions. Before I jump and hit hard, I will play around with my music source, and settings. When I play MP3 from my PC and Android mobile, the music was just average.

I tried playing FLAC songs through VLC player, and POWER AMP app, there is a huge improvement !!!

I felt Straight enhanced mode in AVR is best setting. It is even better than 2.0 sterio mode.

So I understand if the source player is good, and if the music files are of high quality, the performance of YHT196 will be far better.

What i feel missing is something like a crispy and punchy guitar sounds and tight drum beats form artists like aerosmith, bonjovi, etc etc

For example, WANTED DEAD OR ALIVE track from the below link

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=bon...autocomplete:cfda823883af4cf9b88676bb8ee6cb64

I dont want to dump more money than what I can afford and burn my pocket.
I am just wondering a basic sterio amp (like NORGE may be) can fill my gap.

Thanks
Naveen

Think, you are rushing.. First your source material, correct settings (audio output configuration, AVR speaker settings) and then using stereo mode should get you better results..

Try to read manual/ google abt sound presets in your AVR and what they do..This might give you better understanding..

Yes, do take this slow. Don't rush into things. Read the forum, surf the net.
For me, if you are using a PC, a DAC is essential. They keep coming up for sale.
Next see your speaker placement. Bring them away from back and side walls. Use sturdy stands if bookshelves. Loads of advice on that here and elsewhere.

Elangoas,

You are absolutely right. I am rushing.
Earlier i was using HTIB sets, then i came into AVR type sound systems. Although my YHT196 is entry level, now I have an estimate how these hifi systems are far better than HTIBs.

Now the urge to experience sterio setup also is bugging me. But thanks for reminding. I will stop rushing !!!
As far as settings are concerned, i tried all the available ones. But il take ur advise and go through once again.

Thank you... !!!

Despite all the other factors already discussed above, an analog stereo amplifier would make a positive difference. It would always sound better than your AVR, using the same source and speakers. The good news is that used analog amps sound as good as the new models. Just watch the 'For Sale' forum on HFV, and you could find some good amps for a fraction of your budget. You could use the savings to partially fund your source or speaker upgrade too.

Last edited:

So your music source is a PC and Andriod Mobile, I'm guessing both are connected via the Line IN (RCA) cables to the AVR. If you have a BDROM/CD player connected to the AVR via OPTICAL TOS LINK or Coax, use that as a source and see if that improves the overall quality of audio.

My source is 320Kbps MP3s and FLACs, I use my SONY BDROM and ASUS MINI as source for my music. Perhaps you can explore and see if these options improve the overall audio experience.

Thanks & Regards,
Rajiv

Thanks Rajiv,

I dont have them right now, but i can get within my friends circle. I will surely try them.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back