My B&W speakers Journey.

They have been stopped long long ago. After Matrix Nautilus then "S" series (Signature) then 'D' (diamond), then D2 and now D3.

They are very rare to find in India. In US you can get them easily.

Thanks. Why are they sought after ? Are they better than the newer diamond series ? Or is it a different sound ?

Hello Mr. Bala,

It is really great to see your passion and love for B&Ws...You are a true inspiration for all of us...even I am a big B&W fan and currently owning B&W 603 S3, CDM1 and 805 Matrix speakers...Can you please let me know what might be the probable landing cost of 801 matrix to india if I have to source it from US/UK? I will love to have this pair (801 matrix) for my future upgrade but cost may be the constraint...Hence trying to get an estimate from an experienced person like you.

Regards,
Joy

Sure I can let you know the exact landing cost. To give you an idea the thumb rule is COST + INSURANCE + FREIGHT on this Total Value add 42% of DUTY.
C&F agent charges around 1500/-.

Please be informed importing used electronics is banned in India. So the invoice should not say 'used', 'store demo', 'old' or 'for parts only' if it is mentioned then the authorities have every right to confiscate [Normally with individuals they are a bit considerate as long as its not mentioned anywhere]

If you have experience in importing this huge stuff then do it cause this will be treated as cargo so the clearance procedure is little elaborate, already i have discussed this in length in this forum.

Incredible journey with the B&W Balagopalan sir. Waiting for a day to hear your awesome setup and also glow over your dream collection of equipments.

It was also nice to host you the other day, though I have a very humble setup.

Cheers
Kannan

Dear Kannan your knowledge in speaker building is amazing that too with active cross overs. All you need is a little better power amp otherwise your speakers are sounding great at a fraction of cost.

Nice post Bala. Current setup on his signature is one of the brilliant setup currently which Bala has. Being tagged with him for the last 6~7 years & in my personal experience, this guy would've injected atleast $100k!! which none could've got the balls to do so, despite being capable of....

In addition the technical knowledge, with which this gentleman chooses / suggests any speaker is really mindblowing. Having said that, expecting Bala to build his own speakers, s/w, amps for the benefit of audio illiterates like me :)

Not so Karthik, I my self know more than 1/2 dozen people in Chennai who have spent Rs. 50 lakhs and above for a two channel setup. Of course synergy of the whole set up matters here than the cost.

Making Amplifiers, I know where you are coming to.

Thanks. Why are they sought after ? Are they better than the newer diamond series ? Or is it a different sound ?

They are the real value for money. Assuming if you get a 801 Matrix for 1.5 lakhs IMO today you have to spend 5 times that cost minimum to achieve that sound quality that too with the complications of pairing and synergy cable complications etc., Matrix are very simple to pair and does not demand costly cables running in tens of thousands.

The most sought after B&W speaker on earth is 801 D. I am yet to audition them why so even come across one. I am on the hunt and sure will get it.

They are the real value for money. Assuming if you get a 801 Matrix for 1.5 lakhs IMO today you have to spend 5 times that cost minimum to achieve that sound quality that too with the complications of pairing and synergy cable complications etc., Matrix are very simple to pair and does not demand costly cables running in tens of thousands.

The most sought after B&W speaker on earth is 801 D. I am yet to audition them why so even come across one. I am on the hunt and sure will get it.

Thanks a lot. Appreciate viewpoints like this from actual users :)

This is what we are missing a lot on this forum these days.

Very interesting to note that a " 801 " model is missing from the current lineup from b&w.

Great thread rbalagopalan. Thanks for sharing your experience. I completely agree with you that 801 Matrix are great speakers. I have owned them in the past. I somehow did not like the initial diamond series. Found them a bit analytical. I believe the newer diamond models have taken care of that.

Wonderful post rbalagopalan!

Couple of years ago when I spoke to Clearcut and Flanker from forum here, I was crazily searching for Matrix and 805 speakers on ebay. But after waiting so many days unable to find anyone willing to ship them or carry them added by cost and fear of customs I have given up on them. Bass filters I have only seen on sale once in these two years.

But if there is any chance I can get the 805 speakers, would love to grab them in an instant!

Wonderful post rbalagopalan!

Couple of years ago when I spoke to Clearcut and Flanker from forum here, I was crazily searching for Matrix and 805 speakers on ebay. But after waiting so many days unable to find anyone willing to ship them or carry them added by cost and fear of customs I have given up on them. Bass filters I have only seen on sale once in these two years.

But if there is any chance I can get the 805 speakers, would love to grab them in an instant!

One pair of 805 Matrix got sold couple of years before in our own Forum. It was from Trivandrum and has gone to Mumbai. I was crying to many people to buy that they were not knowing about it. It was in sale here for quite sometime. Later bass alignment filter also came up here I don't remember who put that.

So far I have come across three numbers of 801 Matrix only across India. [of course it doesn't mean no more]. So many silent audiophiles out there at large.

Mr.Bala, in the current production of B&W, which model has the same Soul and Voice of 801 Matrix? Why they discontinue that model? Are the latter models modified technically better? Thank you.
Sunder.

How cool! Thanks for being so kind and genuine in sharing your experiences Balagopalan. Wish you the best :)
On a selfish note, I am happy you are located in Chennai. If I have any questions about hi-fi audio gear, I now know where to go :D
Regardless, thanks on behalf of everyone :)

Mr.Bala, in the current production of B&W, which model has the same Soul and Voice of 801 Matrix? Why they discontinue that model? Are the latter models modified technically better? Thank you.
Sunder.

The 802D2 was very good with the Same Mark Levinson 23.5 power and Jeff Rowland Capri pre with which I used my 802N

In current model 803D3 and ever green 805D3 are good,. These two I have auditioned and I was told by my friend in US that 803D3 is better sounding than 802D3. Getting the soul and SQ of 801 Matrix is no big deal but at what price point is the question here and with what paraphernalia.

But then I would say B&Ws are fairly priced compared to (in comparison only otherwise I would say even they are priced high) other ridiculosly priced brands in this league /Segment. (I don't want to name them here).

Balagopalan

your passion comes across well and Kudos on that ! the only time i heard a matrix 801 was in a second hand audio place in Singapore adelphi many years back it was on the third floor and playing loudly but still filling entire adelphi with beautiful music..all the deep bass was there despite the size of the area .

you have a beautiful system and i really love the subwoofer you have !!

your passion comes across well and Kudos on that !

you have a beautiful system and i really love the subwoofer you have !!

This was my dream SUB and I was searching for almost 2years and located one in UK and closed the deal immediately. To get it shipped by Air was another big task next task was to get it cleared from Chennai Customs but the our Zeal of Audio makes them possible.

I can understand that . It's an awesome sub. If you ever an to let go of it anytime please do ask me first :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thinking of posting in Wanted thread for Matrix 805. Hope I get lucky with a Bass filter as well! :eek:hyeah:

Just go ahead and do it. You can't say luck will favour you. The other side of the coin, if the existing owner of 805 matrix happens to see this thread then he will hold it tight.{ of course the owner would be aware of its value already}

Hi,

I have had the pleasure of listening to Bala's systems a few times and in various combinations. Bala is an excellent host and a very helpful person.

The 802's surprisingly work well in Bala's small room where his stereo system is set up. Having listened to the 802's driven by several amplifier combinations (Symphonic Line, Jeff Rowland,Electrocompainet,JC1 monoblocks and a couple of others possibly Krell or Levinson) my preference was for the Electrocompainet pre(4.5?). and JC1 monoblock amps. This is a purely personal preference.

His large Living room has his truly impressive HT system and also his new love Altec 604 duplex speakers in huge MLTL cabinets(20 cu ft) driven by the Don Allen 300B amp. A totally different system and sound from the 802 based system.

This is the best I have heard the Altec 604's sound.You really need such massive cabinets to bring out the best of the Altecs.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi,

I have had the pleasure of listening to Bala's systems a few times and in various combinations. Bala is an excellent host and a very helpful person.
Regards
Rajiv

Looking forward to an audition one of these days.:)

I knew In audiophile in Brussels who had different systems .. all combination of Electrocompaniet pre power and B&W speakers . His reference was the 801 with nemo monoblocks. As per him the best combination he has heard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back