My current setup(s)

Soundstage

Hello All!

I have been meaning to share pics of my Hifi setups since quite a while, but haven't been able to get down to it because of relocation issues which just kept going on and on. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I've moved to Pune this year, and also taken up a small pad in Dubai as I now intend doing business there.

Posting a few pics of my setup there which is comprised of an Ayre CX7 CDP paired with an Audio Research VSI 60 Integrated Amp, driving Martin Logan Spire Electrostats. The super heavy duty rack is by Burmester Audio. ICs are Audioquest and speaker cables Finolex 6 mm sq wire. There also is a Clearaudio Concept TT which I am yet to connect. There is no room treatment at this stage whatsoever, only a thick fleece blanket draped over the TV during listening sessions. The room is 12ft wide by 27 ft long.

The sound?

The Martin Logans throw a huge soundstage which is entirely believable with wonderful depth and reasonably good layering. Bass is very powerful. There is a throbbing vitality about the whole presentation, even at lower volumes, which is quite different from the other speakers I have owned, conventional, TLs or Magnetic Planars. The Ayre CDP is resolving enough and the VSI 60 exhibits very good control over the electrostats. And as you can see in the last pic, the warm seductive glow of the tubes is something to die for.

Installment 2 with my Pune setups coming soon.........

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 911
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 906
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 899
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 894
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 893
My own set up .... much more humbler but am happy with them...

Sansui T 1010 Tuner
Sony PS - LX 62 Turntable
NAD 3020e Amp
Sansui S 730 Speakers

Last edited:
Very nice and clean setup there. Congrats!

I think the sofas on the sides, and the rug on the floor, are currently taking care of the room treatment somewhat. With curtains behind the speakers, you probably will not have any trouble hiding any future panels behind them.

John Carver, Yogibear, Sarith, Reignofchaos, Panditji, Mpw, Sidvee, Visakharun, Deba, Hydra - Thank you very much for your kind comments!

Not a fan of martin logans but still an awesome system nonetheless.

Hello Reignofchaos, I too have not been a big fan of MLs, but I do admit to being somewhat intrigued by Electrostats, especially having had a pair of Magnetic Planars (Maggie 1.6s) in my system for 5 odd years. So, when the opportunity came to pick up a pair of MLs at a price which did not come close to breaking the bank, I simply took it.

After all, one does not know how a speaker/design really sounds until one tries it out in ones own room and system. To be honest, I was not very impressed upon hearing them at the dealer's, but since I was in an experimental mood and needed to get myself some decent equipment for my stay there, I went ahead with the purchase. Am happy to say that after a week or so of playing around with the placement (Boy, are these dipoles finicky about were they sit!), the speakers now do more than a decent disappearing act. I listen to Ghazals and vocals accompanied by acoustic guitar and tabla/ other percussion instruments, and I do feel that these MLs make the presentation quite believable.

Nice setup.......Does your ML speakers give trouble in dust and humidity.......

Hello Deba,

I've had them for just 3 odd months, so cannot say for sure, but since my place is centrally airconditioned, dust and humidity is not so serious a problem.

Mumbai, on the other hand........:mad::mad::mad:

Awesome setup - minimalistic & clean. Congrats.
Cheers,
Sid

Thank you kind Sir!

Minimalistic and clean..... a quarter of a century of marital engagement teaches one how important it is to remain in the good books of the better half!:lol::lol:

Thank you kind Sir!

Minimalistic and clean..... a quarter of a century of marital engagement teaches one how important it is to remain in the good books of the better half!:lol::lol:

All young and single FM's take note. This is the most important tip for great sound, especially as you grow older and start a family:clapping:.
Cheers,
Sid

Greats are simple and minimal only!

Nice setup Soundstage there you have. It is a bit far from Baroda, or else would have liked to listen them. I have listened MLs in shops only and they were not much different with respect to mine or friend's OBs.

Soundstage, congrats on a setup that seems to bring a smile on your face.
So, is the soundstage the main reason you opted for the MLs? Did you try other amps with these speakers?

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back