My Dac

CLEARCUT

Dac Digital Analogue Converter is the latest trend in Hifi world. Everybody wants to go for a research with the Dac. But all ends in failure and dissatisfaction. I want to clear them with my small research. My system consists of Accuphase 303x and Ayon cd 1s, Marantz cd 5004 (accorcding to me it gives a good challenge to my Ayon even though its a Mp3 player) and one more player is the vintage Marantz 63 ki signature (amazed by the truth nowadays quality had been already achieved by Ken) Speaker B&w 801 mkiii.(Thanks Bala the gentle) POwerchord Interconnects and speaker wires are after through research with too many I have settled for Ess Live speaker. Which I got it from Usa through my cousin. Since it is not the subject I donot want to be elaborate on this. Previously I have come across Dac magic, Aragon, Ps audio at that time my system was not this high end. So I could not find much difference quite disappointment. Then I used my Ayon as my dac. Used my Marantz digi out with the Ayon to play some times. Then the marantz and the Ayon I prefered Ayon sq. Ayon played more louder and mid was more prominent and dynamism of the sound was there. Since the Ayon had pre amp out the remote was more helpful. Then I started for going into media streamer. XTreamer which my son had, Asus mini o play, and the chinese product kaiboer k6. I prefered Kaiboer for its video quality eventhough Asus was fast in reading the format. Since Ayon has only input I was looking for a Dac with many inputs.

Now coming to the dac hunt. Recently I was offered one DAc magic plus and one vintage wadia 6 high end dac with player and Wyred for sound. Originally I had in mind Bench mark But I came to know the Wyred also the good. It came to me for demo before purchase thanks to HFV ( which has earned me so many friends like Bala, Naseer,) With their suggestion also I serious considered the Wyred. I used Qed performance co axial cable. I played my Marantz via Ayon and this Wyred.

Here this my review. My Ayon is already burned in lovely. More over it is good output. The mid was more prominent good highs and good bass was there. Wyred has not been burned in yet. Out put is less compared to Ayon. I come to know it will be more lucid after minimum 100 hours. My Wyred has been played played below 50. The sq Mid was more more natural. (I consider the mid is the good foundation for the real hifi if the mid is natural other frequencies will also be natural. There is also exception. Male voices and female voices are clear and natural. So the frequencies around mid was more clear came to hear more tiny musics and humming voices of the co singers. High frequencies were fine and detailed. Fine means verrrry fine. No back ground noise so I could hear all details regarding the low I could hear the movements of the drums. It activated my B&w woofer extra to bring out the drums effects. Even though the difference between my Marantz 5004 and 63 ki with my Wyred was very little.
But the little was more seductive. My (now decided to buy the wyred) dac has become addictive to me.

Now with my Kaiboer with one more co axial input. Now I sincerely recommend the Wyred to all fellow hfv members you can consider for your new purchase list. I played my flac files thorough my Ayon and Wyred. Wyred outbeat Ayon in every angle. Ayon felt gave grain sound but the wyred was more smooth more musical. I have learnt many words of description from BAss treble coimbatore. Now I understand them. I have never experienced my flac files sounded this much great. Thanks to Wyred I am hearing Hd and flac files lovely. The same sq which I experienced with my original cd. Every frequencies are more accurate no ear pricking sound. Sound comes out of the box and mingles in front to present as if the singer sings for us. It is suitable for all kinds of music since the dac is more dynamic. My listening songs and music were all except classical and metal and rock in English but all in genre in Tamil and Malayalam.

So I here by recommend my fellow members to go for this dac. While thinking to go for a dac consider Wyred also one. You will not be disappointed. Once again I thank Mr Bala who strongly recommened me to try for it or Oppo 105. There may be better Dac from this. But at this budget and up to my level of listening rigs I strongly recommend my fellow members this Dac. You could enjoy your computer audio or flac files through streamers and enjoy the next level of Hifi. THis all I could achieve through HFV because of it I have earned many gentle and genuine friends.

Last edited:
Congrats on the excellent buy, and for the review!

Did you buy the W4S-2 DAC? And is there a dealer in India now?

Hi Clearcut,

Liked your review, however you have not mentioned which model of Wyred is it & its price?

I am considering to buy a Shiit Bifrost after experiencing their USD model Modi, which is reviewed as a VFM product and has very nice rewiews.

Can some one comment on comparing the Wyred & Bifrost.

Thanks & Regards,

Thanks to all for so interested in my status. It is mark I. I got it for 50k since is its very little used. But I dont have any idea of the dac u mentioned. I prefer co axial via sound rather than optical via sound thanks

Hi,

Very interesting read. Actually I almost bought W4S DAC2 to pair with my existing Oppo 93. Then I changed my mind to go for Oppo 105 as Oppo 105 offered some very important features for my requirements.

BTW, did you ever get a chance to compare W4S vs Oppo 105 DAC? Or did your friends try both against each other and have any interesting comments regarding both?

-John.

Thank you John, My friend Bala has oppo 105 which is the best according to him. His calculations may not be wrong. Oppo also has too many facilities and it employs the same dac used in Wyred 4 sound dac1 but they are 4 numbers in oppo. Oppo can also be used as BR player. But my budget restricted me to wait for some time to go for it. Since wyred came in between I happened to take and enjoying it. But both oppo and wyred need good break in time. That is true. cheers.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back