My DIY Speaker - 1

excellent and indeed very innovative. please post some pics of the journey :) and some more tracks, whats inside :), what drivers and wires used... waiting eagerly for the next project

Thanks a lot.

As requested, here are some more photos of this journey.

My initial thought

Some tools

Paint process

The inside of the PVC pipes are covered with bitumen sheet. I just bought the bitumen sheets from diyaudiocart and had no idea how to apply them. After a quick chat with Bijin, i came to know that these sheets need to be pasted with a little help of heat. Thanks Bijin for guiding me. So I ordered a heat gun and it worked out great.

I have stuffed the enclosure with polyfill 1" sheet (diyaudiocart) and recron (pillow material) - locally procured
Speaker wire - C&E 14 AWG - amazon
Lugs, heat shrink tubes, binding posts, nuts & bolts, paint - locally procured

Tools used -
Orbital sander
Heat gun
Circular saw
Jigsaw
Angle grinder
Drill machine
Router
Spray paint machine
Paint brush
Sandpapers (used till 400 grit)
Soldering iron
Screw drivers
Allen keys
Knife
Scissor

Last edited:
sweet spot to be narrow
Yes it appears so because of the design parameters ; did you do a simulation to arrive at the correct volume?
There are innumerable ways this design can be further optimized depending upon the specific requirements , but the simplistic nature and unique design still makes it a show stopper.

does the vertical base section only serve as a stand or is it also hollow and part of the enclosure volume
Can a TL design be accomplished by using the pipes and polyfill like this?
@Naveenbnc It'll be really interesting to attempt something like that.

Yes it appears so because of the design parameters ; did you do a simulation to arrive at the correct volume?
There are innumerable ways this design can be further optimized depending upon the specific requirements , but the simplistic nature and unique design still makes it a show stopper.

Can a TL design be accomplished by using the pipes and polyfill like this?
@Naveenbnc It'll be really interesting to attempt something like that.

No I did not go through any simulation.

This is going to be my portable speaker. So kept it as small as I could. TL designs can be accomplished with PVC pipes very easily.

Last edited:
Saikat, a simple 'baffle step' circuit will go a long way in improving the mid-bass. Here's a link to run simulation in case you need to.

Assuming the average impedance is ~6ohms and width is 4" here's what you need. Put a 0.8mH inductor and 6R resistor in parallel to the +ve leg of the speaker connector. These values assume a 6dB loss. If thats not sufficient, go overboard and freak out.

Attachments

• Saikat - Baffle Step.jpg
    Saikat - Baffle Step.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 20
Saikat, a simple 'baffle step' circuit will go a long way in improving the mid-bass. Here's a link to run simulation in case you need to.

Assuming the average impedance is ~6ohms and width is 4" here's what you need. Put a 0.8mH inductor and 6R resistor in parallel to the +ve leg of the speaker connector. These values assume a 6dB loss. If thats not sufficient, go overboard and freak out.

Thanks. I'll look into this.

It looks beautiful and extraordinary too! Good Job!
I hope I'm as resourceful as you are and make new useful things out of unused materials.
Share us more of your new innovations!

Wow thats awsome , if I could listened. Hope one day will. Fantastik build. Specially round enclosure will give you fantastik high frequency stabilisation.
One suggestion ... if you can use a phase plug. The highs will flow like charm. BTW how is the low frequency response and what is resonant frequency rolling there.

Happy Listening

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back