MY DIY transmission line scanspeak revelators and subwoofer

does the design look good? would your spouse like it?

• yes

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • no

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • so-so

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • hideous

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

suri

Started this project three years ago, and after many failed attempts, came up with something that works:)
the drivers are midwoofer = scanspeak 8531 revelators, tweeters = scanspeak 3004/6600.
midwoofer is in transmission line and tweeter in separate decoupled housing with unique energy dissipators
single subwoofer with keiga kgnd 5250 plate amp and seas design 10" subwoofer again in transmission line (grandfather clock) housing
construction detail is of the subwoofer transmission line

Last edited:
Wow, man! That's awesome! :clapping: I'd love it if you could post some info on the background of this design, how you built it and the difficulties you might have had building it. I also think that the pictures don't do them much justice and would love to see better pics of these beauties. Congrats!

Great job and finish Suri

If it sounds as good as it looks, you have a winner on your hands.

Also, are you using wheels for transportation? I would suggest replacing with rubber bushes

hey nice work suri. it would be great if you could post some more detailed pics of the units. some info on construction would also be nice.

Hi Suri,

Looks absolutely awesome! I am eager to know how do they sound. Can you compare the sound with anything we know about?

For layman like me, can you explain each of your 5 pictures briefly. For example, what is the 1st picture of the second row about? Is it during the construction phase of the woodwork?

I see two different looking units, one is a rectangular kind of box with wheels (apparently, at the bottom) and the other looks more artistic with two drivers placed very delicately near the top of a complex design.

I think they look remarkable, would be easily approved lookwise by anybody, wives included.

Note added later: The rectangular unit is the subwoofer you mention in your post, and the other is a 2-way speaker, right. I am the world's most non-knowledgeable guy on subwoofers, but the ones I have seen are more squarish, and first time I saw one, I found it quite useful as a stool.

Last edited:
nice work and verymuch admirable effort for all of us, keeping going on friend,
love to see our mens doing such a great job in audio world.

Suri,

Thats some seriously impressive effort man. If it sounds as good as it looks, you have created a real DIY masterpiece here.

Cheers.

P.S. Nice to see again a typical malayali chettan in that classic lungi after a very long time :)

Wow, man! That's awesome! :clapping: I'd love it if you could post some info on the background of this design, how you built it and the difficulties you might have had building it. I also think that the pictures don't do them much justice and would love to see better pics of these beauties. Congrats!

thanks grubyhalo, new to this forum, so will you please tell me how to post more pictures and diagrams; the limit is 5 pictures!

hey thanks grubyhalo, marsilians, kraus, anm, surrealistix, asit, jeevabobby26,unleash_me and moserw,
for the kind words
will post a few details as soon as i learn how to:)

Hi,

Suri Hearty congrats on a Fabulous and Exemplary Build :yahoo: !!

Well what else can I say ?? Less said the better (coz more I say more I'll be envious and Jealous of the finish :D ) !

But Please post some good pics so that we can enjoy it more !! I have also voted Yes on the poll even though I have no Spouse as too good to stay away from voting !!

I also happen to see the pics in diyaudioprojets site and there it was bit better ! so I guess you can post the same pics or perhaps take some high res ones !

Coming to the details of it,Am really looking forward to reading all the details of the build including your adaptation of TL design for Mid and Sub !!

Regards.

Last edited:
hi suri,
can you please tell me how long it takes you to finish this project and how much it costs. and also tell us your contribution to make these mighty beauties, like your research, developement, designing, making, parts searching and many more hurdles trhat face to make thses mighty beauties.
we al are waiting hear that from you how you achieved it by miles of thinking...............tell us the story of your mighty beauties in the wonderland

hi suri,
can you please tell me how long it takes you to finish this project and
how much it costs.
And also tell us your contribution to make these mighty
beauties, like your research, developement, designing, making, parts
searching and many more hurdles that you faced, to make these mighty beauties.
we al are waiting hear that from you how you achieved it by miles of
thinking...............tell us the story of your mighty beauties in the wonderland

Hi Suri,

Looks absolutely awesome! I am eager to know how do they sound. Can you compare the sound with anything we know about?

For layman like me, can you explain each of your 5 pictures briefly. For example, what is the 1st picture of the second row about? Is it during the construction phase of the woodwork?

I see two different looking units, one is a rectangular kind of box with wheels (apparently, at the bottom) and the other looks more artistic with two drivers placed very delicately near the top of a complex design.

I think they look remarkable, would be easily approved lookwise by anybody, wives included.

Note added later: The rectangular unit is the subwoofer you mention in your post, and the other is a 2-way speaker, right. I am the world's most non-knowledgeable guy on subwoofers, but the ones I have seen are more squarish, and first time I saw one, I found it quite useful as a stool.

hi Asit,
yes, that picture is of the construction phase of the woodwork of the subwoofer. in the picture, which shows the subwoofer lying on one side, to the left is the "firing" chamber of the subwoofer and extending from that, to the right are the "transmission" tunnels (shows two, but the full construct has four), total length being (if I remember right) one fourth of 56 feet, which is the wavelength of sound at 19hz (if i am right), which is the resonant frequency of the driver (seas design 10") this enclosure was designed around.
The bent "Witches" are two-way speakers, again transmission line, with the entire transmission line external to the midwoofer housing. the bent sections that you see are the tapering transmission lines, length = 8 and three fourth feet. the round box underneath the mid-woofer housing contains the crossovers for both midwoofer and tweeter
hoping one day you will tell me how it sounds:)

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
Can somebody on this forum give me leads on how to get measuring equipment (microphones, software, other hardware)? I was to get these from madisound but ran short of money
It would, of course, be nice to validate the design with actual measurements
Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

Hi,

Hope you read my reply to your post :)!!

Now as with the measurement,I myself Am looking for a reliable way doing for my own DIY Projects !!

But here's something which I think may help ! this is one of our Fellow Indian who has elaborated on measuring speakers using some inexpensive gear !

The Asawari: part 4 | dhandanought.org/tcpip

Regards.

Last edited:
Hi Soundsgreat,
thanks very much for the lead. will try to go creative
i saw all your projects and they are superb and very professional, and i would like to listen to your set-up when I am in bangalore
Cheers

Great looking speakers Suri :cool:
One more core DIYer adding to the list!!!!!. Hope to see more good closeup pictures. BTW how much did the drivers cost?

Regards,
Anil

Back