My El-Cheapo Mobile Headphone listening station

mbhangui

Just finished making a rig for headphone listening. Everyting you see here (except the Scarlett 2i2) has been obtained from our classifieds. Why I did this is that I can listen to the rig any room by picking the table with everything on it.

Base is Amazon Basics Laptop table.

The media processing, etc is done by a RPI4 which provides playback of my flac/DSD library on my NAS (which again is a RPI4 in a different room). The RPI4 also provides Spotify and Airplay playback. It sits behind the Graphic equalizer.

DAC is toppings Balanced D10. The DAC has good performance as long as you use in balanced mode. If you connect any converter to make it unbalanced, it will result in DC offset. So it is dangerous to connect it to AMP which has no capacitor in the input path. The manufacturer slyly mentions not to use it in unbalnced mode without giving the reason. Now I have told you the reason.

The output goes to DBX 231s graphic equalizer through two balanced cables. The equalizer enables me to tune it as per my headphone. I find this better than using software / DSP and using the CPU on the RPI.

The headphone is driven by the famed O2 amp and has been heard to sound better than headphone amps costing in 4 figures. The input of the amp comes from XLR to RCA from the graphic equalizer.

The 2i2 is used when I'm working and want to listen to music and not miss out on skype, hangout notifications. It also helps me record my calls.

Music is controlled by a 7.9" hdmi display connected to a RPI3. The display is housed in a crude wooden box made by self. I can carry the box anywhere and control music on every equipment that I have in the house. The display was gifted by @chander and I have put good use of it by making it a remote controller. I can set the rating of the music using this controller and this gets recorded on last.fm, libre.fm and also updates my database. I have a playlist generation program which uses this database and automatically populates my playlist. The display is a touchscreen so I can pause, play, select tracks to play etc easily. What is right now showing on the display is the Cantata media player

This moble headphone station can also be completely controlled by IOS/android device.

IMG_20231009_114104498.jpg

I had made a similar setup like yours in past using RPi2 , O2 , el cheapo DAC that comes integrated with HDMI to VGA convertor and Yatse for Android.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back