MY EXPERIENCE WITH TONE WINNER PRE AMPLIFIER AND DENON 4700H AVR.

jamesbond

Hi everybody...
After going through a tons of reviews and video on youtube and from dealers, i was super excited to get a pre pro setup for my home theatre. my gears was started with JBL nano k8 powered monitors. i really loved it for its performance with in my budget.
I was initially thing of buying marantz 6015 and use it as pre as it was on my budget. then i spoke to my friends regarding this , one of my friend suggested me tonewinner. i started my research from september, there was a local dealer who promised me that it would sound amazing and all. i thought why not then in dec my friend in forum who suggested me about a group buy. when i enquired about it some dealer from banglore is handling that for all the group members. i wasnt sure about investing money to someone who i never met. then i came to know it is available in chennai itself. by the time i reach them they were all sold. dealer said they will be getting stocks on march. once it was arrived they called me and i had an audition. according to me it was a disappointment, luckly that dealer had 4700 for demo so i asked him can we compare these both. i spent nearly 5hr and the movies i experience were SKYFALL, KONG VS GODZILLA, AQUAMAN, ALITA BATTLE ANGLE, JOHN WICK 3 AND DUNE.

my first impression on tonewinner pre:
* very light weighted and compact .
* neatly designed without any complications.
* cheap remote control.
* UI was direclty designed in china (cheap).
* surround separations were amazing.
* it sounded little bright and flat in the front stanging.

When i spend more time with it , i started realising that i'm missing something over all. the musicality was completely missing. it sounded just like an expensive studio monitor. the speaker i demo it were arendal sound and power amplifier was tonewinner 7 X 180 watts i forgot the model number.

after my request dealer switched the same connections to denon 4700. it was just wow! it felt like this is what i was looking for in my theater. that hi fedility was there.

these are my very own experience. so have an audition before buying any audio gears. you need to know wheather it satisfy your audio needs.

thank you for reading :)

Thank you for sharing this.

So I guess what you heard was at the dealers place? Can you share some details of what settings was on AT-300 and x4700?

What were the speakers configurations? Which subs?
Was the dealers room treated?

What do you mean by "it sounded like an expensive studio monitor"? In the context that AT 300 is a pre-pro (DAC), how can it sound like a studio monitor? (I am genuinely confused). If you mean it is transparent ....that in my books is a sign of good performance.

Thank you for sharing this.

So I guess what you heard was at the dealers place? Can you share some details of what settings was on AT-300 and x4700?

What were the speakers configurations? Which subs?
Was the dealers room treated?

What do you mean by "it sounded like an expensive studio monitor"? In the context that AT 300 is a pre-pro (DAC), how can it sound like a studio monitor? (I am genuinely confused). If you mean it is transparent ....that in my books is a sign of good performance.
hi thank you for checking my post...
yeah it was at dealer place. it was manually calibrated. and even in denon 4700H.
it was a 7.1.2 setup speakers were arendal sound 1961 towers , center and dipole surrounds with 1961 1s sealed subwoofer. it was a treated room.
expensive studio monitors are very transparent, which helps the sound engineer to find the mistakes in the mixing . those speaker wont give you the listening pleasure.
ht speaker are tuned in a way that it is listener friendly and you get a soothing sound.

Don't know how much time this pre needs for burning in since it was a new piece. Also were crossover settings of both kept identical ? I have seen some dealers like to keep crossover 100hz.

Don't know how much time this pre needs for burning in since it was a new piece. Also were crossover settings of both kept identical ? I have seen some dealers like to keep crossover 100hz.
Yup the crossover were set to 80hz for all channels.

They do this cause in demos they are on the limit of the avr's power capacity so by increasing the crossover, the subs take more of the load & the avr has more dynamic power available for those reference levels demos. 80hz is the right crossover unless you are running satellite speakers.

Hi everybody...
After going through a tons of reviews and video on youtube and from dealers, i was super excited to get a pre pro setup for my home theatre. my gears was started with JBL nano k8 powered monitors. i really loved it for its performance with in my budget.
I was initially thing of buying marantz 6015 and use it as pre as it was on my budget. then i spoke to my friends regarding this , one of my friend suggested me tonewinner. i started my research from september, there was a local dealer who promised me that it would sound amazing and all. i thought why not then in dec my friend in forum who suggested me about a group buy. when i enquired about it some dealer from banglore is handling that for all the group members. i wasnt sure about investing money to someone who i never met. then i came to know it is available in chennai itself. by the time i reach them they were all sold. dealer said they will be getting stocks on march. once it was arrived they called me and i had an audition. according to me it was a disappointment, luckly that dealer had 4700 for demo so i asked him can we compare these both. i spent nearly 5hr and the movies i experience were SKYFALL, KONG VS GODZILLA, AQUAMAN, ALITA BATTLE ANGLE, JOHN WICK 3 AND DUNE.

my first impression on tonewinner pre:
* very light weighted and compact .
* neatly designed without any complications.
* cheap remote control.
* UI was direclty designed in china (cheap).
* surround separations were amazing.
* it sounded little bright and flat in the front stanging.

When i spend more time with it , i started realising that i'm missing something over all. the musicality was completely missing. it sounded just like an expensive studio monitor. the speaker i demo it were arendal sound and power amplifier was tonewinner 7 X 180 watts i forgot the model number.

after my request dealer switched the same connections to denon 4700. it was just wow! it felt like this is what i was looking for in my theater. that hi fedility was there.

these are my very own experience. so have an audition before buying any audio gears. you need to know wheather it satisfy your audio needs.

thank you for reading :)
It's very surprising,an AVR outperforming a pre pro combo.However thanks for sharing your findings. As said earlier,I eager to demo this and will share my impressions too .
Have heard good things about Tonewinner power amps. Need to check it too.

They do this cause in demos they are on the limit of the avr's power capacity so by increasing the crossover, the subs take more of the load & the avr has more dynamic power available for those reference levels demos. 80hz is the right crossover unless you are running satellite speakers.
Yes ,you are correct ,sometimes they will boost up the LFE based on customers.

Thanks for the post and sharing your impressions. Can you share details of the chain as well? Were the speakers K8?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back