My experiment with DIY budget PJ screen

ItsMe

All,

I was enjoying my PJ projected on my wall which is offwhite in color, until one day I found that if I put a white paper there, the color reproduced on that is much better than the one projected on the wall. This woke the DIYer in me, and its time to experiment with a real cheap solution.
The long term plan is to go for a fixed frame professional screen with the budget of around 20-25 k, but it will take atleast 1+ years to achieve it. Till then, I need a temporary economical solution which can help me.
I planned to start with huge plain paper on wall, but was unable to get a role with 4.5 feet width locally. So I had to go for next option. I tried for blackout cloth, which I had spotted couple of months back at one local store. To fix it, I needed a strong frame made of wood, which will be bit tough for me to make. Thinking about alternatives, I ended up selecting the fiber wiring case, which is cheap as well as easy to procure.
PVC_Casing_Caping_1.jpg

I procured enough casing, and then went to the local store to get blackout cloth. Unfortunately, the store was out of supplies and not sure when they will get it in stock. I tried couple of other stores, but was unable to get blackout cloth for this purpose.
The next choice was to shelf the project until blackout cloth comes, or replicate a blackout cloth effect as much as possible. I went with the second option and brought plain cotton cloth and started from there

Materials I used
wiring cases - 4 nos ( 10 feet long)
Plastic fischers and screws to fix the wiring casing - as needed
Plain cotton cloth - 8 x 5 ft
Black chart paper - 8nos
Staples
Black tape for border
Adhesives/tapes
Tools used - power drill , screw driver, hammer, scissors

Here is the plain wall, from where I started
f9qj5x.jpg

First I projected the image to the wall and marked borders. Then I took the base portion of fiber casing, and fixed it to the wall using fischers and screws. Ensure it is fixed strongly, and no part is hanging. Ideally, place the screws 1 - 1.5 feet apart to fix the casing strongly.
6puq6e.jpg

Next add black chart paper to the background, to ensure light will not get reflected so easily. Stick it using adhesive/tapes to the wall
2lo3mt2.jpg

2mxfss0.jpg

Next, I spread the cloth on a carpet and ironed it for 20 mins, to remove all possible creases. Unfortunately I was unable to get it clean, but still not bad.
(Pic was taken before ironing)
2nbbxol.jpg

Next I measured exact screen size needed and folded the remaining cloth to make it a thick border. I stapled the border to give it strength. I could have made it better, if I inserted a border material like a thin wooden stick, but I didnt had anything handy. Anyway, folding the border worked as required
292y8h0.jpg

Next was the most important part of inserting the thick border which you made by stapling, into the casing. Stretch as much as possible and insert the border to the fiber casing. Fold the border once more, if you are able to stretch that much. Once done, place the cover of the fiber casing on each side, which will stretch the cloth further. Atmost care needs to be done to ensure that it is stretched evenly without any wrinkle.
I somehow was unable to do it properly, which resulted in some wrinkles visible on top middle portion of the screen. I was totally exhausted by now, and hence didnt wanted to redo the stretching exercise. I left those wrinkles as it is
k4jqlu.jpg

Now apply a border using a black tape. I didnt get a good quality one with needed width, and the end result reflects that. Make sure you stick the border after projecting the image, so as to align it to the border of the projected image.
10eih4h.jpg

And now its the testing time
sqo1et.jpg

2di4u8p.jpg

And the final verdict
Did I like it - Not fully. I expected better clarity, but I know I will get this much only since I was left without much choices, due to lack of material availability.
Will it work - perfectly, until I get my permanent screen. It gives me better color reproduction and picture quality, rather than what I used to get from the wall. Also, the 3D reproduction is much more accurate in a screen.
What could have been done better - Several things. First, I should have got a blackout cloth, which would have given a better image quality.
Second - shouldn't have compromised on the stretching part, as the wrinkles was visible after the completion.
Third - A better finish, if I had focused on getting a better border material.
Fourth - A better camera, than the one on lenovo p780 would have done justice to actual picture :)

But keeping the minuses apart, I am getting a better viewing experience at the cost of less than 500 Rs. Plus the satisfaction which we get from a DIY project is priceless. :yahoo:

This need to be really appreciated. Well done :clapping:. Even though it is not complete satisfying you should be proud of working on it. This is inspirational.

The idea is commendable and job well done :clapping:.

My suggestion would be instead of using pins to the edges of the border for the cloth, you can stitch the borders by leaving a gap to insert some sort of bamboo cane thats used in cane furniture. A very thin one which can be inserted inside the wire casing. This way you will not get the wrinkles on the cloth as the bamboo will stretch it evenly. For the black border, you can spray or paint black on the outer casing alone before fixing it.

All in one a superb finish and well thought out of idea. It looks nice with the picture projection and does not look like a DIY screen :)

can be painted with best white color royal white etc..
All side of cloth can have little tightable cloth (paint ka nara type) so that you can tight and screen wrinkles can be better...

Bravo, commendable job indeed. I liked your DIY work, yes black out cloth would have helped more,

I just painted white and it works for me. I may go for Carls place screen in future if someone has used and it have positive reviews.

congrats Itsme,
I thought it was blackout cloth, because you mentioned in other thread that you were able to procure it.
So can we expect step by step procedure on the new screen soon?

regards
girish:)

congrats Itsme,
I thought it was blackout cloth, because you mentioned in other thread that you were able to procure it.
So can we expect step by step procedure on the new screen soon?

regards
girish:)

I didnt procure the cloth, but found a place which was selling it. Unfortunately, when I was about to buy it, they were out of stock :(

How much did they quote for the black out cloth? IMHO, you could have waited for stocks to come or got it through contacts in hfv members in other cities...

Sorry, was away from HFV for some time. They quoted somewhere around 200-250 / m for blackout cloth. Yes, I still can purchase the blackout cloth and add on top of my current screen as it is very easy to fix it there. But, since I am getting above average picture quality now, I may delay that purchase a bit more.

Hai ItsMe,

I am from Karukachal, Kottayam , in Kerala. Can you name the outlet which had a stock of Blackout cloth.

Thanks in advance.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back