My External HDD not Working

Let me know any people doing Data recovery. Since you are also in chennai, it will be easy for me to approach them directly.

I already approached the one near Ritchie street and another one at near Ethiraj college. Both told the same thing.

And also approached one center in bangalore through email, again the same story.

The only response I get from my HDD is a "Crackling sound" for few seconds that's it, then it will go dead.

data recovery will ev crazily expensive.. have seen corporates getting it done and they charge a bomb..

folks if your HDD Is out of warranty then please take the HDD out and connect to another casing.. most of the times.. just the adapter goes bad..

sata to usb dock inbuilt...

The only response I get from my HDD is a "Crackling sound" for few seconds that's it, then it will go dead.

I used to get continuous crackling sound with my HDD when the USB cable went bad and HDD wasn't getting enough power supply. I replaced the case (and the cable) and it worked fine, so would suggest that.

Sorry for being somewhat OT now. From my experience, I have seen WD drives going dead more frequently (including my own) while Seagates are prone to bad sectors. Thats why I prefer Seagate over WD. Atleast I do not lose whole data.

Sorry for being somewhat OT now. From my experience, I have seen WD drives going dead more frequently (including my own) while Seagates are prone to bad sectors. Thats why I prefer Seagate over WD. Atleast I do not lose whole data.

I too have now switched from WD to Samsung.

I've switched from Seagate to WD!

Asildharan,
I went to Micron in Adyar, who gave me a free diagnosis: read/write head is dead, nothing we can do.

I then went to Stellar in T Nagar, who quoted a huge sum of money.
...is what I did. A very good PC engineer sent me to Micron, and I found Stellar on the net.

Once a hdd starts making physical noises, one can forget about electronics. And the worse the noises are, and the more times one tries to start it up, the worse the damage gets. Like sand in a gear box :eek:

This is one of my big rules: if you hear any unusual, or even louder than usual, noises from an hdd, and it is still working, copy the data off it immediately. It is may be your last chance.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back