• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

My new rig: Torvin Mosfier II Amp + Torvin Euphonious Towers

AV Cables

Sabin jose

Lovely setup!!! Am a fan of Thankachan sir
Being an audio engineer in film music demands more music listening,I respect Thankachan sir's immense dedication on bringing the best possible sound!!!

SPONSORED ADS

SPONSORED ADS

AntoChristy

I didn't quote the price in the review because these numbers can get outdated quickly. I will send you a PM.
Congo on the beautiful setup. That chair is mighty dandy. Could you please PM the price of the various components.

amitk777

Very nice setup and a beginning of a great journey. :)
I would recommend to evaluate following software : Moode, Roon / Tidal combination.

The Purist

Dear Mr.Sasi,

Congratulations on your fulfillment of the desire you carried for long.You finally achieved it.

Well,few years ago I was also planning to buy the Mosfier II with Celesta floor standers and Phono premeo (Phono amp).
Since their headquarter is in Chennai , I was hesitating.I even got the quotation too.I liked the way Mr.Thankachan built
the Mosfier II with anodized steel chassis and then he put the back panel , the heavy long control knobs and then the
front panel , the heavy toroidal transformer in the Video on par with international standard except the origin of raw material
used.

I do have a Hi Fi at home , the entry level Denon amp, CD player and Turntable from the same stable.I use
Boston acoustics floorstanders with Van den Hul cable.For interconnects I use Monster cable.Since I had to invest in
Audio CDs and few Vinyl discs , I couldn't invest in the more expensive range of Denon.

I am a big time hard core fan of "Sansui" and "Accuphase ".I wished to buy Denon PMA 1600 NE amplifier (Made in Japan by
Shirikawa Audio Works ) which costs about INR 159,000 available at PRO FX Banglore and KEF speakers similarly priced. Where as Torvin Mosfier II costs one third ,but has no tone controls ( Bass , treble,Balance) which makes it entirely depend on the input source recording which has to be superior (either CD or Vinyl) other wise one wont get the desired result. Also Torvin personnel consider Mosfier II as audiophile grade.

Kindly advice me which one should I opt for Denon PMA 1600 NE (as they boasts the classic amplifiers of 70's) or for Torvin.
I mean should I save more money and go for Denon or go with Torvin Mosfier II as a life time investment.

I really appreciated the review , but wished you provide more detailed listening experience (no offence!) As you said about
Roja and other Illayaraja hits , other than that did you try western classical piano or instrumental.

Thanks in advance
Wish you and you family , puppy, good listening experience and service for years ahead.
God Bless you.

Last edited:

sandeepsasi

Wish you and you family , puppy, good listening experience and service for years ahead.
God Bless you.
Thank you very much! Please find my comments inline below.

My purchase decision was influenced by several factors, the primary of them being my own maturity (or rather immaturity) as a critical listener, amount of time I can spare right now to listen to music and, of course, cost. I used the first factor, generally regarded as a sign of weakness, to my advantage here, to eliminate many products highly acclaimed for their audiophile qualities. Quoting Westworld, "If you can't tell the difference, does it matter?". Given the amount of time I spend at work and in traffic these days, I am left with very little time for family and music. Often, I have to multiplex activities at home. Based on this factor, I decided the budget for the system - time is money. For the budget I decided, I found the popular options to be a compromise - most of them were under powered, overpriced and not well built to my satisfaction. Then I moved to less popular options, and Torvin was my first choice because I had known the brand for more than 20 years and have also listened to their systems before. I found Mosfier II to fit the bill perfectly.

I am a big time hard core fan of "Sansui" and "Accuphase ".I wished to buy Denon PMA 1600 NE amplifier (Made in Japan by
Shirikawa Audio Works ) which costs about INR 159,000 available at PRO FX Banglore and KEF speakers similarly priced. Where as Torvin Mosfier II costs one third ,but has no tone controls ( Bass , treble,Balance) which makes it entirely depend on the input source recording which has to be superior (either CD or Vinyl) other wise one wont get the desired result. Also Torvin personnel consider Mosfier II as audiophile grade.
PMA 1600NE is cheaper on HiFiMart and I find it to be reasonably priced, considering the price abroad. Having no tone controls was one of my specific requirements because I was planning for a digital front end based on a media center, I believed I can do it there.

Also Torvin personnel consider Mosfier II as audiophile grade.
Since the very definition of audiophile is subjective and personal, I highly recommend not giving much regard to such claims. Moreover, if you listen to such claims carefully, you can hear the sales pitch.

Kindly advice me which one should I opt for Denon PMA 1600 NE (as they boasts the classic amplifiers of 70's) or for Torvin.
I mean should I save more money and go for Denon or go with Torvin Mosfier II as a life time investment.
I recommend auditioning both the products before making a decision. I have been enjoying music on my DIY systems for a long time. Some of the amps I built are still singing after 10 years. Given the attention to detail while making a product like Mosfier II, as you mentioned, I am sure both these amps can give you more or less the same years of service. Since you also mentioned a life time investment, which I am reading as a long term investment, in my opinion, cost must be given less weightage here. After auditioning, if both the amplifiers turn out to sound equally good, then you can make the decision based on other features like tone controls. Also, sentiments like Japanese make can be valued in this case, given you are buying something for the long term.

I really appreciated the review , but wished you provide more detailed listening experience (no offence!)
None taken! There is a limit on the character count per post on the forum, something which I was not aware of, earlier. So, I had to cut corners and this is one place where I did.

As you said about Roja and other Illayaraja hits , other than that did you try western classical piano or instrumental.
Other than Illayaraja and A. R. Rahman, I am also a fan of Western Pop. We are also using the system to watch movies. In all these cases, the system never failed to impress us and we continue to discover detail that we missed before in our favorite music. We are less of classical fans at the moment, and the closest we have come to instrumental is music from artists like Lindsey Striling, Tina Guo, etc. We are also discovering many new artists and are exploring other genres. Since I haven't heard the same content in many other systems, I find it hard to compare and is reluctant to give a verdict. I can only repeat what I said in the review - the system is non-fatiguing, bass is deep and non-bloated, vocals are clear, sound staging is good and the presentation is rhythmic.

Hope I was helpful!

SPONSORED ADS
Last edited:

sijusid

Bro...your system is awesome and your post is truly inspiring....nice work....absolutely loved your listening chair and ofcourse the stringent quality checks at your home....ha ha...

The Purist

Dear Mr.Sasi,

I appreciate your prompt reply.Yes,your reply was really helpful indeed.

The reason why I preferred the Denon PMA 1600 AE is that ,Denon makes their Hi End amplifiers and CD players at their
Shirakawa Audio Works in Japan . Also , being closer with Japanese executives before , I have observed and confirmed one
thing , the ones they make in Japan , mostly they use Japanese suppliers (like capacitors :ELNA ,Nichicon,Rubycon).
The internal components , the fit and finish , the chassis (rustproof) compared to other country make .Japanese
Quality management is supreme.If you take Lexus and Mercedez and BMW , Lexus is the most reliable car and similar factor is in automatic watches as Japanese makes most accurate watches (Grand Seiko) than Rolex and others.What I find in them is that their mechanics are straight forward . I hope you will be aware that Toyota is expensive with the other cars in the segment ,but reliability and longevity is paramount. But the West always look down at them as "Cheap far east products" (Mentality).

I admit I am not a tech geek or have any expertise in electronics , just a lay man with passion for audio , but always look for
quality.

Yes,I do agree 100% with you on "audiophile" category .Once a friend explained , an American Hi End brand was using a digital playerwith a Chinese chipset inside costing above US$ Two Thousand , where as the same supplier was selling their branded one
for US$ 300.Same result no modification.Some boutique brands charge astronomical.

I understood , you are using Media player /Network audio player , then the question of tone control is irrelevant as you can use the equalizer from the source itself for desired result of your taste. In my case I am using Audio CD , Vinyl (starter).
Denon PMA SX-1 is same with no tone control, but far beyond my budget and its Japanese domestic model .You can check
the link if you like https://www.denon.jp/jp/product/hificomponents/amplifiers/pmasx1

I have visited many years before at their showroom "National Audio Centre" at Post office Road , Thrissur, as late Mr.Baby was in charge (Thankachans brother).I loved their Triple force II speaker that time.Now they made a marvelous one "Canorous".

I am so delighted to read your review.I am a new member , but has been searching about Torvin for many years in the forum,
without signing in .But none has given a good review as many are not thoroughly aware of their products and build quality.
Its you who gave a first detailed review of Torvin. At the same time glad to hear that Mosfier II is easy to listen and "no
listening fatigue".

I thank you for taking time to read the post during the daily chores and replying to the point.
Best Regards
:)

Last edited:
Dear Mr.Sasi,

I appreciate your prompt reply.Yes,your reply was really helpful indeed.

The reason why I preferred the Denon PMA 1600 AE is that ,Denon makes their Hi End amplifiers and CD players at their
Shirakawa Audio Works in Japan . Also , being closer with Japanese executives before , I have observed and confirmed one
thing , the ones they make in Japan , mostly they use Japanese suppliers (like capacitors :ELNA ,Nichicon,Rubycon).
The internal components , the fit and finish , the chassis (rustproof) compared to other country make .Japanese
Quality management is supreme.If you take Lexus and Mercedez and BMW , Lexus is the most reliable car and similar factor is in automatic watches as Japanese makes most accurate watches (Grand Seiko) than Rolex and others.What I find in them is that their mechanics are straight forward . I hope you will be aware that Toyota is expensive with the other cars in the segment ,but reliability and longevity is paramount. But the West always look down at them as "Cheap far east products" (Mentality).

I admit I am not a tech geek or have any expertise in electronics , just a lay man with passion for audio , but always look for
quality.

Yes,I do agree 100% with you on "audiophile" category .Once a friend explained , an American Hi End brand was using a digital playerwith a Chinese chipset inside costing above US$ Two Thousand , where as the same supplier was selling their branded one
for US$ 300.Same result no modification.Some boutique brands charge astronomical.

I understood , you are using Media player /Network audio player , then the question of tone control is irrelevant as you can use the equalizer from the source itself for desired result of your taste. In my case I am using Audio CD , Vinyl (starter).
Denon PMA SX-1 is same with no tone control, but far beyond my budget and its Japanese domestic model .You can check
the link if you like https://www.denon.jp/jp/product/hificomponents/amplifiers/pmasx1

I have visited many years before at their showroom "National Audio Centre" at Post office Road , Thrissur, as late Mr.Baby was in charge (Thankachans brother).I loved their Triple force II speaker that time.Now they made a marvelous one "Canorous".

I am so delighted to read your review.I am a new member , but has been searching about Torvin for many years in the forum,
without signing in .But none has given a good review as many are not thoroughly aware of their products and build quality.
Its you who gave a first detailed review of Torvin. At the same time glad to hear that Mosfier II is easy to listen and "no
listening fatigue".

I thank you for taking time to read the post during the daily chores and replying to the point.
Best Regards
:)

Well written. I own the Denon Pma 2010AE and the Denon A100 Sacd player. Both in top notch new condition. And I totally agree that the build quality and the musical quality is too good . And yes they both are made in Japan.. And I say this , as I also own the Rotel pre/power rc1570/rb1582. I personally feel the overall quality of the denons are superior.

murali_n

Just my Rs. 2/-
Pl place the the speakers with the tweeters to the extreme from the centre.
I believe this will give a wider soundstage.

sandeepsasi

Just my Rs. 2/-
Pl place the the speakers with the tweeters to the extreme from the centre.
I believe this will give a wider soundstage.
Hi,

That was exactly how I placed them in the beginning. Then when I swapped the speakers, I observed that the overall tonal balance slightly improved. I guess this is due to less interaction of the high frequencies with the glass door to the left of the left-side speaker. Though there are curtains for the glass window, which when drawn closed was observed to minimize this effect, we wish to leave them open most of the time.

With regards,
Sandeep Sasi

The Purist

Dear Mr.Kumar,

Thanks for your candid comment.Yes , according to my experience Denon amplifier exterior designs are simple ,but graceful,
they always intent to say "hey I am very conservative outside , but I have high grade components inside and I dont intent
to compete with others , those who like me can buy or leave it , I am in another league!".

They focus more on internal components and their DNA is good.I planned to buy PMA 1520 AE(Advanced Evolution) couldn't
get that time.Then came the new PMA 1600 NE( New Era) but the price increase is more than double .So the budget exceeds
including speakers.This is why I am planning to have Torvin Mosfier II (Pure analog) ,Torvin Phono Premeo (Phono preamp) and floorstanders.I like Indian products , but we cannot deny the Japanese QC (top notch) and their specs are accurate .But Torvin offers five year service.Do you have any inputs to offer.

Thanks
The Purist

SPONSORED ADS