My Home Theater Setup

More auditioning got done. This time with my wife.

Went to a Sony center. I had to listen to Sony HTiBs before passing any comments on them.

The N9200W what we listened to in Yelahanka Sony World was crap. The stereo separation, placement of speakers and overall setting was terrible. If anyone buys N9200W after that audition, the person must be buying it for brand and not quality. Let me not even talk about the sub. Demo guy played an Avengers scene in max volume. He needs to understand that loudness is not quality. (Oh, BTW, it costs 58k)

Went to ProFX MG road again. Listened to KEF Q350, Polk S20, S50, S55 and RTI A5 (last three are towers)

S55 blew my wife away. She liked KEF Q350 too, but I felt the AMP wasn't able to drive them effectively. But all in all, nothing stood in front of S55. My wife is one of those old school music listener who still felt that the Sony hif-fi system that her dad bought 20yrs back which she used to play in loud volume and let her neighbors burn in jealousy is the best music one can ever have. I was happy that myth broke after listening to Polk S55.

We had intentions to buy S55s if not for arrogant pricing from ProFX. The person was great in letting us audition various speakers, but his last quote on S55 was 50k. For X1500H, he said 57k. Amazon already has lower prices for both. S55 is available at many places for 44-45k. I was hoping for them quote me the similar number and if they had, I'd have bought it then and there. Anyway.

Buying an AVR + S55 is not so easy. Since these are not essentials, I am taking my own time reviewing various options and figuring out what I need.

I am sure on front speakers, I am still not sure on AVR. There are interesting options available in GST and colored market.

1. Yamaha 585 is my current # 1 choice. Available on Amazon for 44.5k. Local showrooms have same price, which you can negotiate till 43k. One gentleman from Madurai (thanks to @Dineshshank) quoted me least at 41k. Other rates are around 42500 to 42800 round about. With GST and Bill, this is by far the best 7.2 option.

2. Marant NR1608 - available at Hifimart for 50k. Good options for 7.2 channel with bill and warrant. Its 50wpc is somewhat a concern.

3. Denon X1500h - singapore models are available for as low as 34k in Chennai. Very good option if I can drive to chennai. Of course I'll have to bear the cost of repair, if anything happens.

4. Pioneer LX303 / Denon 2500 - If I can go to Chennai and look at Singapore options, then I can explore 2500 for 45k and 303 for 48k as well. But I doubt I'll take a plunge on these.

Right now, I am thinking either to save money and get X1500 for 34k or spend 9k extra and get Yamaha 585 for 43k. S55 for 44k are final.

Last edited:
More auditioning got done. This time with my wife.

Went to a Sony center. I had to listen to Sony HTiBs before passing any comments on them.

The N9200W what we listened to in Yelahanka Sony World was crap. The stereo separation, placement of speakers and overall setting was terrible. If anyone buys N9200W after that audition, the person must be buying it for brand and not quality. Let me not even talk about the sub. Demo guy played an Avengers scene in max volume. He needs to understand that loudness is not quality. (Oh, BTW, it costs 58k)

Went to ProFX MG road again. Listened to KEF Q350, Polk S20, S50, S55 and RTI A5 (last three are towers)

S55 blew my wife away. She liked KEF Q350 too, but I felt the AMP wasn't able to drive them effectively. But all in all, nothing stood in front of S55. My wife is one of those old school music listener who still felt that the Sony hif-fi system that her dad bought 20yrs back which she used to play in loud volume and let her neighbors burn in jealousy is the best music one can ever have. I was happy that myth broke after listening to Polk S55.

We had intentions to buy S55s if not for arrogant pricing from ProFX. The person was great in letting us audition various speakers, but his last quote on S55 was 50k. For X1500H, he said 57k. Amazon already has lower prices for both. S55 is available at many places for 44-45k. I was hoping for them quote me the similar number and if they had, I'd have bought it then and there. Anyway.

Buying an AVR + S55 is not so easy. Since these are not essentials, I am taking my own time reviewing various options and figuring out what I need.

I am sure on front speakers, I am still not sure on AVR. There are interesting options available in GST and colored market.

1. Yamaha 585 is my current # 1 choice. Available on Amazon for 44.5k. Local showrooms have same price, which you can negotiate till 43k. One gentleman from Madurai (thanks to @Dineshshank) quoted me least at 41k. Other rates are around 42500 to 42800 round about. With GST and Bill, this is by far the best 7.2 option.

2. Marant NR1608 - available at Hifimart for 50k. Good options for 7.2 channel with bill and warrant. Its 50wpc is somewhat a concern.

3. Denon X1500h - singapore models are available for as low as 34k in Chennai. Very good option if I can drive to chennai. Of course I'll have to bear the cost of repair, if anything happens.

4. Pioneer LX303 / Denon 2500 - If I can go to Chennai and look at Singapore options, then I can explore 2500 for 45k and 303 for 48k as well. But I doubt I'll take a plunge on these.

Right now, I am thinking either to save money and get X1500 for 34k or spend 9k extra and get Yamaha 585 for 43k. S55 for 44k are final.
Well like i said if quality of sound is important stay away from the sony.

By any chance you would be interested in Denon x4500H? I have a brand new piece to sell. If so pl pm me. Thanks

y any chance you would be interested in Denon x4500H?

No Vivek, I am in no plan to dish out 100k on AVR.
Dear all,

Question for BLR folks - any of you know about Harish from Yash Technologies / Projector houses? They are located at Banashankar Stage I. I got a call from them on quote for Yamaha 585 + Polk S55s which sounded the best I have gotten locally.

If any of you know about them or dealt with them. He told about giving with all the GST bill and warranty. He shared his shop location too.

Ordered Yamaha 585 and Polk S55 from Yash Technologies - Banashankari - Bangalore. Called up Harish at 2pm and asked for today delivery. He confirmed the stock, we closed the price at 85500 for both. I sent him 5k as advance and as I write this, both the items are on their way to my home in North Bangalore expected to reach in next 2hrs.

I also ordered Bandbridge 1.5mm cables to connect. I am pretty sure I am going to bi-amp the speakers :)

This is going to be a weekend of Sound Nirvana :)

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back