My Home Theater Setup

rksingh1

Long thread warning. Sorry!

So there isn't any setup right now. My purpose with this thread is to get something going. I have a Bose Solo 5 sound bar which BTW is amazing for playing music (totally blows me away with its depth and character), but doesn't improve TV and movie experience. I guess it could be due to limiting optical cable connection. Sadly, it doesn't have an HDMI, and out of three ways to connect with TV (aux, optical and coaxial), I chose optical as I felt that to be the best. Not sure if I am wrong there.

Anyway - I am sure that even if Bose works, it won't make the experience drastically different. Right now, I have 42in TV throwing me whatever sound it can from its speakers on Tata Sky HD content.

Q. So, what am I looking for?

I am not sure. May be a HTiB. Sony N9200W and E4100/E6100 can do that job. Or may be build my own HT setup.

Q. Build HT How?

I don't know why the costs of these AVR differ so much from India and US. The price difference is at times more than 200%. I am going US on 4th May for a week. Thinking to get Yamaha V683 or Denon X2400h (both listed at $330 Amazon.com, in India Amazon costing 50k or more) or spend little more and Pioneer LX303. Currently, I am more inclined towards Denon 2400. What you folks think? Also, get the ELAC Debut 5.2 speakers. (Can't get 6.2 as I don't think I can fit all in the bag - could be wrong). If not, get the Polk Signature S20 here in India. The price difference on Polk signature is more reasonable ($230 vs 20k India for S20).

So far I have auditioned Denon 2113, LX303, and few more with Q acoustics. I am still to Audtion ELAC or Polk Signature speakers and 683 / 2400. Currently, plan is to start with just 2.0 setup and then slowly build on to 5.1.

Q. What are my constraints?

1. I am going to put all this at my drawing room. And I have a 4 yr old daughter. I don't want wires all around. This is why N9200 looks better with rear wireless towers. But then, I can add rear wireless speakers with AVRs too which come at a premium.

2. Ease of setup is important. I want a system that can be learnt and operated by my mother too. AVR setup is quite a hassle with you needing all the work of wiring and setting it up. N9200 also needs wiring, but lot simpler with everything provided in the box.

4. I was preferring speakers with floor standing, as I don't want to hang speakers and ruin the walls.

5. I am not into ATMOS and all, but I won't mind putting atmos speakers in future. I can't do that Sony HTiB.

6. Sound quality : I am yet to audition most of the things. I will be back in Kolkata on 28th. Planning to go to ProFX and audition these boxes. Also auditiion N9200. I know that ELAC with Denon will probable sound better, but I am not sure if that marginal increase in SQ will be worth the increase in hassle of setting your AVR HT.

**LX303 right now is on sale at 370. A 9.2 channel wth 100W does look like a steal at that price. (India, available at 65k) Such a disappointment.

I will totally hate to carry those big AVRs and speakers from US as customs challenges are there - but the price difference is actually too much. Looking for opinions and thoughts from fellow members on what they suggest. Has anyone ever faced cusom issues? Is it all worth the hassle to get AVR and speakers from US? And what is your feedback on N9200W.

Thanks in advance.

Well if quality is what you are looking for stay away from the sony. You need to decide first quality or a hassle free set up. My ear bleeds listening to the sony sound systems and they are that horrible especially the subwoofer. You can always cover the wires with PVC casing which will involve drilling on your walls.And you have also mentioned you prefer floor standers just for the sake of not hanging them on the walls. There are few factors to be considered while finalizing for book shelf or floor standers. For a small room Book shelf will be more suited then tower speakers. You can go for speaker stands if you do not wish to wall mount them. If you are willing to sacrifice sound quality for an easy set up sure go for the sony. I have a dali and denon 2400 combo and have listened to my relatives sony set up and few in my flat and its horrible especially the subwoofer the difference in sound stage and clarity by the avr along with dalis is heaven and earth.

You cannot compare the output of an AVR with any Sony system. I auditioned a lot of Sony systems as I was lured to easy setup but I found the output to be just noise compared to even an entry level AVR.

I auditioned a lot of Sony systems as I was lured to easy setup but I found the output to be just noise compared to even an entry level AVR.

Thank you. I really need words like these to ensure I never look at an HTiB as a solution. :)

How would you all think of 683+ELAC vs 2400+ELAC?

And ELAC 6.2 vs Polk Signature?

but the price difference is actually too much.

Yes. Pretty much, due to low volume of sales here..

**LX303 right now is on sale at 370. A 9.2 channel wth 100W does look like a steal at that price. (India, available at 65k)

A 9.2 AVR for $370 is a steal. grab it if you can.. You would also need a step down transformer to use 110V products in India..

AVR setup is quite a hassle with you needing all the work of wiring and setting it up.

It is a one time set-up to wire the speakers.. Most AVR, have auto-calibration built in, so rest of the set-up process if effortless..

I would suggest you to grab the AVR from US and buy the speakers locally, whichever brand you like..

Typically speakers run for years without any service. But AVRs may show up some problems and we may have to take to service center.
Speakers come with 3 years of 5 years warranty, but AVR only 1 year.
You will also need a step down transformer for AVR, that also reduce your resale value (in future)
Some service centers won't accept imported AVRs and you may need to pay extra at authorised service centers

In my opinion, you can try to bring speakers, cables etc. from USA.

Some products listed on Amazon.in are imported products and not published by Indian dealers, those will be costing more since they add import costs, duties, their margin etc. You may get them at lower cost from the dealers here.

You may consider Marantz AVR, if you are going to listen lots of music. Otherwise Denon 2500H or 3500H will do.
In addition to the speakers mentioned, you can also evaluate Focal, SVS, PSB, KEF etc.
Subwoofer I recommend SVS

Went to ProFX and Dynox HT store today. Lovely experience. Amazed to see professionals running those shops and they aren't trying to push sales - but just to give you an experience. When talking about ELAC with ProFX folks, they politely said that they don't have and gave me number and name of Manju from Dynox where I could go and audition ELAC. What a lovely gesture.

Auditioned these combos:

1. Denon old stereo amp with Polk S20, then Polk RTi A3 and one KEF LS50. S20 sounded lovely and balanced. Loved all the beats and strings. KEF wasn't up to the mark. And RTi was no where in comparison.

2. Denon 2500 with Polk S15: S15s are detailed but the low range is completely lacking. I was hoping to pick them up for cost factor - but I just didn't like them.

3. Denon 2500 with Polk S50 : S50 are floor standing speakers and these speakers blew me away. Literally. Such a fine detailed output. The drivers drove me all around the room with their sound. Nice sound stage and great push for every frequency. The mid range makes so much of a difference.

5. Pioneer LX503 with ELAC 5.2 : These ELACs were opened right in front of me from the box. The speakers had not run in and they sounded exactly how a not run-in speaker should sound. The high and vocals were not impressive but the bass was so damn punchy, I always felt that they are coming from a woofer. I could easily run these without a subwoofer. But the lack of detailed highs were disappointing.

5. Pionneer LX503 with ELAC F5 : This was the best among all. These floor standing speakers are a league apart. The level of detail and punch for every beat was so ever clear. I wish I could got for these. These F5s cost 60 each.

The Dynox store person, Manju was all gaga about Pioneeer FS52 and how good are those, but I couldn't audition them. They are in a crate and he'll be setting them up on Friday.

Talking of cost. S20 was quoted 22k, S50 34k, ELAC 5.2 23.5k, 6.2 at 30k and FS52 ar 27k.

All these numbers are open for negotiation. Will see.

I am keeping my eye on S20 / 6.2 / or FS52.

Floor standing speakers make so much of a difference. Any other floor standing speaker would you all recommend to audition? Of course I can't cross 40k limit.

There are certain floor standing speakers within 40-45K and needs to audition seriously like. Warfdale Diamond 230, Mission MX4, Boston Acoustic A-360. Little powerful amplifier or av receiver can bring best out of them. Audition is the key for successful and happy purchase....

Went to ProFX and Dynox HT store today. Lovely experience. Amazed to see professionals running those shops and they aren't trying to push sales - but just to give you an experience. When talking about ELAC with ProFX folks, they politely said that they don't have and gave me number and name of Manju from Dynox where I could go and audition ELAC. What a lovely gesture.

Auditioned these combos:

1. Denon old stereo amp with Polk S20, then Polk RTi A3 and one KEF LS50. S20 sounded lovely and balanced. Loved all the beats and strings. KEF wasn't up to the mark. And RTi was no where in comparison.

2. Denon 2500 with Polk S15: S15s are detailed but the low range is completely lacking. I was hoping to pick them up for cost factor - but I just didn't like them.

3. Denon 2500 with Polk S50 : S50 are floor standing speakers and these speakers blew me away. Literally. Such a fine detailed output. The drivers drove me all around the room with their sound. Nice sound stage and great push for every frequency. The mid range makes so much of a difference.

5. Pioneer LX503 with ELAC 5.2 : These ELACs were opened right in front of me from the box. The speakers had not run in and they sounded exactly how a not run-in speaker should sound. The high and vocals were not impressive but the bass was so damn punchy, I always felt that they are coming from a woofer. I could easily run these without a subwoofer. But the lack of detailed highs were disappointing.

5. Pionneer LX503 with ELAC F5 : This was the best among all. These floor standing speakers are a league apart. The level of detail and punch for every beat was so ever clear. I wish I could got for these. These F5s cost 60 each.

The Dynox store person, Manju was all gaga about Pioneeer FS52 and how good are those, but I couldn't audition them. They are in a crate and he'll be setting them up on Friday.

Talking of cost. S20 was quoted 22k, S50 34k, ELAC 5.2 23.5k, 6.2 at 30k and FS52 ar 27k.

All these numbers are open for negotiation. Will see.

I am keeping my eye on S20 / 6.2 / or FS52.

Floor standing speakers make so much of a difference. Any other floor standing speaker would you all recommend to audition? Of course I can't cross 40k limit.
Try to audition the Dali Zensor series. It will cost more but you will love them.

I went to audition Mission MX6 today. Boy these are big towers. Great sound stage and totally lacked the wow factor. I wasn't thrilled with them. The big box design look aesthetically unappealing to my eyes and it seemed that speaker were trying too hard to detail the tones out.

Dali zensor are next. I want to listen to FS52 as well. People apparently love them. I hope they are worth all the hype. I am also hearing Taga harmony name. Not sure how good they will be.

Ques : Does using step-down transformer with US models impacts the performance / life or sound quality from the AVR?
No difference. It does not have effect at all. But make sure to have right step down transformer considering the correct watts requirements of AVR

Instead of getting an avr try to get speakers (bs)/ cables from US, as one of the member above said.I assure you will be more than happy buying the avr here on store/ grey market as all are 230 v hence no need of stepdown trans .I had a hard time to get fix my onkyo avr ( US model) here ,since then decided not to repeat the mistake.
Being imported one the onkyo(India) service centre were reluctant to take it for service.I was helpless but thanks to my friend who guided me an local service centre who finally got it fixed after some 45 days wait time.

avr try to get speakers (bs)/ cables from US

Thanks for reply sir.

I have been running math on this for over a month. After auditioning, I am sure I am going with floor standers, either Polk S50 or Pioneer FS52. Both are available in India at a good price vs US. So there isn't a need for me to get them from US. Cables are available at a bargain too. With both, all I'll save is around 5k. I can live with spending 5k extra.

Denon 2500 in market is 45k. Pioneer LX303 is 50k. Denon 1500 is 35k and Denon 2400 is 42k.

I am looking for either Yamaha V683 or Denon 2400 (there is not much difference in 2400 vs 2500) and they are available for $330, which translate to 23k INR. Maxine 750W step down transformer is 5k at Amazon. So in 28k, I am getting a new 2400 done - compared to 42k. A gap of 14k!

Quetion I am asking myself is - if this gap enough for me take the hassle of bringing an AVR from US? 14k Isn't that small an amount and if anything goes wrong - grey market anyway won't have warranty - similar to the one in US.

For getting a product with bill and warranty - Denon 2500 is costing 64k. So my calculations are running around 28k for US 2400 vs 42k no warrant singapore 2400 vs 64k India 2500 with warranty.

Thanks for reply sir.

I have been running math on this for over a month. After auditioning, I am sure I am going with floor standers, either Polk S50 or Pioneer FS52. Both are available in India at a good price vs US. So there isn't a need for me to get them from US. Cables are available at a bargain too. With both, all I'll save is around 5k. I can live with spending 5k extra.

Denon 2500 in market is 45k. Pioneer LX303 is 50k. Denon 1500 is 35k and Denon 2400 is 42k.

I am looking for either Yamaha V683 or Denon 2400 (there is not much difference in 2400 vs 2500) and they are available for $330, which translate to 23k INR. Maxine 750W step down transformer is 5k at Amazon. So in 28k, I am getting a new 2400 done - compared to 42k. A gap of 14k!

Quetion I am asking myself is - if this gap enough for me take the hassle of bringing an AVR from US? 14k Isn't that small an amount and if anything goes wrong - grey market anyway won't have warranty - similar to the one in US.

For getting a product with bill and warranty - Denon 2500 is costing 64k. So my calculations are running around 28k for US 2400 vs 42k no warrant singapore 2400 vs 64k India 2500 with warranty.
A lot of FM's have got the avr from us and are using it with no problems. If you can get it from US please go ahead. Only issue will be service as most of the service centers will deny.

A lot of FM's have got the avr from us and are using it with no problems. If you can get it from US please go ahead. Only issue will be service as most of the service centers will deny.

Will they totally not service or charge me extra for service?

I guess the same service issue could be for Singapore models too, isn't it?

Ahh, auditioning is the most fun, isnt it :) ?
In the range that you are looking at, The Boston Acoustics A360 are definitely worth a listen.
But before you make your final decision, definitely listen to the Dali Zensor 5, even if it is a bit above your limit.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back