My Home Theatre setup

congratulations !!!! looks very nice !!!
only center channel without front left and right !!! im confused though....

Hello Arun and Vivek, and all,

Gorgeous!
@Ravindra Desai - Do the rear surrounds carry unique tracks meant for the rear channel? or does it carry downmixed audio?

Yes, unique tracks ment for rear channels!

congratulations !!!! looks very nice !!!
only center channel without front left and right !!! im confused though....

Its C = L+C+R, S = LS + RS and SW = SW
So you see that there is no content loss what so ever.

The system is stereo input (SPDIF/ Analog) to Center, Surround and Subwoofer output.

It is a compromise as far as channel separation is concerned but compromise only for the hard panned effects which are so rare.
It is not a compromise as far sa tonal quality or ambience is concerned.
Kindly look here to get an idea of its behaviour: https://www.hifivision.com/threads/...urround-sound-system.70147/page-3#post-772589

It however has several advantages over a 5.1CH system such as:

1. Surround always!! Since it needs only stereo input, anything stereo will produce surround sound: STB, USB input, Bluetooth, BlueRay.
So you can enjoy not just movies but TV serials, sports, songs from the internet and bluetooth (cell-phones) all in surround!
You don't have to switch modes from Pro-logic to HD to whatever like in an AVR. Turn it on with the TV, control the volume from TV remote and that's it!
Practically, after you spend so much money on a system, you can use it for everything!

2. No calibration needed! Dialogues : Music : Effects has a 1 : 1 : 1 ratio. Where as in 5.1CH is is 1 : 2 : 2. With 2.1CH, Just wire it and start enjoying dialogues music and effects in the right ration!
Practically, you are not restricted to the presence of one person, who knows to operate it, to use it. Just turn it on with the TV and let it remain on the whole day!

3. Typically with 5.1CH you need to listen at and above certain volume to 'hear' all the channels correctly. Below a certain volume, the sound stage falls off. This is the case even in Cinema halls! With 2.1CH, channel tracking is perfect from mute to full volume!
Practically, this is a game changer. We normally watch tv the whole day and the volume is on the lower side. The 2.1CH system can still be enjoyed to the fullest, without annoying the children, elders and without fatigue!

4. With narrow rooms or asymmetrical rooms, you cannot enjoy seperation to the fullest with a 5.1CH system. With 2.1CH system, there is no sweet-spot. You can sit anywhere between the front and rear speakers!
Practically, in most cases, you get and pay for what you just need!

5. The system has advanced post-processing. e.g. During a cricket match, you hear commentary from the front and spectator noise from the back and after the over is complete, when the ads start, you don't need to level (reduce) the volume.
If its in the recording, it will reproduce it correctly as stated in the e.g. link above.

6. Though you have a choice to buy only a part of the system, it is offered as a complete end to end solution helping your decision making.

Let me know if you need any further info. Thanks!!

Regards,

Ravindra.

Hello Arun and Vivek, and all,

Yes, unique tracks ment for rear channels!

Its C = L+C+R, S = LS + RS and SW = SW
So you see that there is no content loss what so ever.

The system is stereo input (SPDIF/ Analog) to Center, Surround and Subwoofer output.

It is a compromise as far as channel separation is concerned but compromise only for the hard panned effects which are so rare.
It is not a compromise as far sa tonal quality or ambience is concerned.
Kindly look here to get an idea of its behaviour: https://www.hifivision.com/threads/...urround-sound-system.70147/page-3#post-772589

It however has several advantages over a 5.1CH system such as:

1. Surround always!! Since it needs only stereo input, anything stereo will produce surround sound: STB, USB input, Bluetooth, BlueRay.
So you can enjoy not just movies but TV serials, sports, songs from the internet and bluetooth (cell-phones) all in surround!
You don't have to switch modes from Pro-logic to HD to whatever like in an AVR. Turn it on with the TV, control the volume from TV remote and that's it!
Practically, after you spend so much money on a system, you can use it for everything!

2. No calibration needed! Dialogues : Music : Effects has a 1 : 1 : 1 ratio. Where as in 5.1CH is is 1 : 2 : 2. With 2.1CH, Just wire it and start enjoying dialogues music and effects in the right ration!
Practically, you are not restricted to the presence of one person, who knows to operate it, to use it. Just turn it on with the TV and let it remain on the whole day!

3. Typically with 5.1CH you need to listen at and above certain volume to 'hear' all the channels correctly. Below a certain volume, the sound stage falls off. This is the case even in Cinema halls! With 2.1CH, channel tracking is perfect from mute to full volume!
Practically, this is a game changer. We normally watch tv the whole day and the volume is on the lower side. The 2.1CH system can still be enjoyed to the fullest, without annoying the children, elders and without fatigue!

4. With narrow rooms or asymmetrical rooms, you cannot enjoy seperation to the fullest with a 5.1CH system. With 2.1CH system, there is no sweet-spot. You can sit anywhere between the front and rear speakers!
Practically, in most cases, you get and pay for what you just need!

5. The system has advanced post-processing. e.g. During a cricket match, you hear commentary from the front and spectator noise from the back and after the over is complete, when the ads start, you don't need to level (reduce) the volume.
If its in the recording, it will reproduce it correctly as stated in the e.g. link above.

6. Though you have a choice to buy only a part of the system, it is offered as a complete end to end solution helping your decision making.

Let me know if you need any further info. Thanks!!

Regards,

Ravindra.
Thanks for the vivid and illustrative explanation! Wish I grasp your lucid yet simple way of sharing knowledge.
I have a Dared DV6C which can do the Stereo to surround push but it doesn't have finer features that you offer. I bought this primarily for bi amping.Here is a detailed review about design and performance: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/dared4/dared.html

Thanks for the vivid and illustrative explanation! Wish I grasp your lucid yet simple way of sharing knowledge.
I have a Dared DV6C which can do the Stereo to surround push but it doesn't have finer features that you offer. I bought this primarily for bi amping.Here is a detailed review about design and performance: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/dared4/dared.html

You are a lucky man that You have such special list of equipment listed in your signature.
Drop in for a demo if you happen to come to Kolhapur.
Also, I'll let you know when my set-up will be ready for demo in B'lore.

Take care and regards,

Ravindra.

You are a lucky man that You have such special list of equipment listed in your signature.
Drop in for a demo if you happen to come to Kolhapur.
Also, I'll let you know when my set-up will be ready for demo in B'lore.

Take care and regards,

Ravindra.
Thanks, Ravindra! I was lucky to find my speakers here on the forum while I got the receiver and amplifiers outside. Luckily, this kichdi ensemble has worked well for me.

Looking forward to demo your creation!

Last edited:
Back