My new Ortofon super OM 10 cartridge -- Rocks

Tanoj

Hi friends,

a friend of mine got me a Ortofon super OM 10 cartridge, Project antistatic brush, Rek to antistatic record cleaning tone arm, project head-shell

since iam not very great in explaining the sq i will keep it simple, earlier i was using Audio technica basic cart and its sound was warm

the new cart the sound is very open, detail, smooth and more or less i feel the sound is very close to my previous Denon DL 160 MC cartridge, actually better that Denon by around 5%

the stylus tip is so thin it can barely be seen, and it penetrates into the groves, extracting detailed sound

the sound output is definitely more that my previous audio technica .. i need to lower the volume knob

sound stage is mind blowing, my friend did not believe that the sound is coming from speakers, it was coming way beyond

bottom line is i am doing some real serious listening sessions this time ... with this real serious cartridge ... "long live Ortofon"

Pics attached

Regards

Tanoj

Last edited:
Congratz! Tanoj.

Do you explain the difference with Shure M 97Xe cartridge if you have listening experience.

I want to try an Ortofon cartridge in near future. I have been a Shure fan since long.

Do you explain the difference with Shure M 97Xe cartridge if you have listening experience.

i heard shure m 97xe at my friends place , on different setup all together ... and its been quite long time now so i may not be able to appropriately differentiate and give assumption.

were are you put up ? .. i am based in bangalore ... i just noticed that you are based in kolkata

Regards

Tanoj

That's a joy for you!
And so are we joyous with you.

Enjoy listening.......

I read that once our Kobiguru Rabindranath Tagore said, if he had to chose one out of ears and eyes that he has to leave without, he would chose eyes.

Listening to good music through good music system I tend to agree that.

And then immediately, I start missing joy of looking through wonderful viewfinders of SLRs and prime lenses.

I am running the OM20 and I recently bought a Shure M44-7. The difference is as obvious as the price departure. Shure is louder, as can be expected from a DJ cart, but the OM just has so much more detail in the mids and the high tones. The only thing I miss is a bit of depth in the bass, but that may be because of other components in my setup.
Congrats on your new cart. You are welcome to pop-in and have a listen of my setup.

In my opinion, the M91 MGD (I think this version was produced by Shure, specifically for Dual) is one Shure cart that easily outwits the OMs. I was gifted an OM20 when I purchased my SME tonearm some time ago. On my 301, the M91 MGD sounded more pleasant, open, great detailing/imagery and more importantly, the bass was tight as well. The M44-7 is probably closest to the lowest end of the Shure production line but is not bad either if treated as a cartridge for specific/exceptional usage. Extremely bright signature, enhanced bass (at times can be boomy), great tracking and long stylus life (and less record wear according to Shure), are attributes also required for the Indian vinyl enthusiast who lives predominantly on average to poor local pressings from the pre-used street side market. My 2 cents :)

Last edited:
the OM series carts are high compliance and extremely lightweight, so you might want to play around with the tonearm mass by adding weight to the headshell.

I have a couple of OM bodies & tried them out with generic styli, and found the sound quality to be rather lacking. Decent highs, but no body or warmth

Tanoj, how much did it cost ?

and how did you source it ?

@friend : it costed me around 7.5 K, got it from needledoctor, shipped it to friends place in US, he got it along

Do post pictures of the project headshell

@greenhorn : my bad its Audio technica headshell not project, i bought project antistatic brush, will post the pics tomorow :)

Thank you all for your wonderfull wishes

Regards

Tanoj

@Tanoj,
Why had you stopped using Denon DL-160? It is a good cart. Any problem? Congrats for your new Ortofon super OM-10. Which Turntable do you use?

Congrats Tanoj,
If you remember I have suggested this cart to you couple of years back. It suits perfectly to your low mass tonearm. I have used Super OM10 for 1 year with my Micro Seiki TT(very low mass tonearm). I later sold it to a FM as tonearm on my Lenco was a high mass.

Regards
Sachin

Why had you stopped using Denon DL-160? It is a good cart. Any problem? Congrats for your new Ortofon super OM-10. Which Turntable do you use?

Denon was nice cart, my son broke it :sad: , i am using sony ps 11 direct drive TT

If you remember I have suggested this cart to you couple of years back.

Absolutely Sachin i ordered this cart based on your recommendation only and it suits superb with your cnc phono stage .. Thanks a ton :clapping:

Best Regards

Tanoj

Hi Friends,

I have uploded two videos video1 and video2

Hope you will like it

for me its kind of scary ... cos the sound of amitabh bachchan in Kabhi Kabhi and one more album ( i dont remember the name right now will update once i recollect ) sounds so real .. kind of scary

Regards

Tanoj

Last edited:
Wow, Its Stunning, "Video2",, You are right, It was scary for me too :)

I felt the word "Presence " while listening to it.

great going

Congrats on the OM 10, Tanoj. A very good cart, It was my only cart for last two years and I really loved the sound. The only challenge i found was that it picks up a lot of surface noise.

The only challenge i found was that it picks up a lot of surface noise.

@vkirti : Thank you, so far its going great and i parelley use the carbun fiber cleaning brush and a antistatic cleaning small tonearm kind of thing which constantly cleans the record while its spinning

Regards

Tanoj

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back