My new setup: PC source and Foobar remote

Vijay_s

Since I bought my NAD-326 I was not satisfied with the sound quality and always felt like "something is missing". But later I realized that what actually missing was a good source in chain.

Then my quest for DAC started and soon realized that a good DAC may cost more than half the cost of AMP. So I decided to sell AMP and use Onkyo for time being, Onkyo sounds better when WD TV as source because it has reasonably good DAC inside. Hence I listed my AMP for sale.

In last long weekend I thought of connecting my desktop PC with M-Audio 2496 and pulled it into living room. To my surprise I could hear the music in the same way I heard while auditioning PSB speakers. Suddenly music came alive. I decided to retain NAD and unlisted from Sale. Listened to it to one more day to make sure that it is not placebo effect. Yes now I am sure music is complete.

Ok, so far so good, but 2 new problem arised.

1. I cannot keep Desktop computer in living room
2. Most of the time my kid uses this computer to play g-compris education suite and watch all kind of rhymes and cartoon CDS.

I kept computer back in bedroom and measured distance between AMP and computer it is almost 7 meter considering proper wiring without causing much obstruction. Then I bought a 10 meter MX RCA cable and connected to M-Audio out. I couldn't find any deterioration of sound due to long cable.

As my computer have 2 sound card I made built-in sound card as default so my kid can use the computer as usual and in foobar player preference I selected M-Audio card.

Now one more issue came up I need to walk in to bed room every time when I need to change a playlist and same time disturb the kid(in fact she doesnt like me pausing her CD and minimizing window frequently:))

So I started next wave of research (thanks google) and came across fantastic solution.
1. Installed http plug-in for foobar.
2. Installed foobar controller in my android phone which was lying idle.
3. Connected foobar controller via wifi to foobar http controller.

Now sitting at living room I am be able to change the songs, create new playlist, playback statitics, browse through my PC and add songs through my android phone.

img0050nq.jpg

More detail on foobar controller and how to install can be found here,
foobar2000 controller: Foobar2000 controller

well done, congrats.
OT - How old is your kid and can you recommend some good cartoon/ education instt for my 3 yr old kit? She is getting lot of education from Tom and Jerry and Donald Duck

well done, congrats.
OT - How old is your kid and can you recommend some good cartoon/ educational instt for my 3 yr old kit? She is getting lot of education from Tom and Jerry and Donald Duck

She is 4 year old.
G-compris is one of the best educational suite I ever came across, which is suitable for kids 2 to 10 year old. Windows version have around 30 odd fun filled education games and Linux version have almost 90 activities.More interestingly its free.

[GCompris]

Summary of activities
computer discovery: keyboard, mouse, different mouse gesture, ...
algebra: table memory, enumeration, double entry table, mirror image, ...
science: the canal lock, the water cycle, the submarine, electric simulation ...
geography: place the country on the map
games: chess, memory, connect 4, oware, sudoku ...
reading: reading practice
other: learn to tell time, puzzle of famous paintings, vector drawing, cartoon making, ...

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back