My new vinyl Experience with JP

Hi everyone.
I am not an expert on these turntables even though i grew up in the 60s listening to all my vinyl, Stones Beatles etc etc.
I found this forum by chance really.
I was,and still am researching a turntable that i have .
It is a JP T-425.
It was used in conjunction with a SME 3009 in an old Radiogram which i came across.
It sounded very good but as i say i am not an expert.
As the Gram was not in a good condition i decided to remove the turntable arm amp etc for future possible projects.
I have tried but with no luck to find anything regarding this particular turntable but came across this thread and thought that maybe someone with knowledge of these JP turntables may be able to shed some light on this particular model.
I will post some photos as soon as i figure out how to
Hi,
When I got my JP player, I tried every web page to get some info. Not much info except that this company made huge phono motor may be as an OEM for other companies. Anyway, JP stands for Japan Phono motor Company. On further research, I understand, they were a special order company which made such Turntables for Radio Broadcasting companies like All India Radio and perhaps for the Radiogram company from where you could get the JP. Since it came with an SME arm goes to show that it must have been a Hi End product to be paired with SME arm. My JP is an exceptional player and one of a kind with a grease bearing system and with high torque motor. Your JP also may be a grease bearing oe and you may need to get it serviced for it's smooth performance. All the best with your JP

Well I I know this thread is very old now but I am the proud new owner of the JP T-425! ☺️ And the rumours are true... The Garrard 401 is in the garage (albeit being restored so we will see)

Now the JP came with the sme 3012 where is the Garrard came with a 3009, but I tested both with Denon 110 cartridge.

I can't easily describe the sound, only that it's the greatest thing I've ever heard, it's liquid but it's still got the slam from an idler drive. Here's a link to some photos, not sure if I'll tinker too much, I love the look of the original plinth, it's running a smidgen fast at the moment so I'll investigate that but I don't notice it anyhow.

Cheers!

Wow. Your JP T 425 looks sleek and nice. Yes, I have compared the JP T 500 with many well known turntables. The reproduction on JP is exceptional. The torque of the JP being a belt drive is like an idler wheel's. I read on Lencoheaven that these JP turntables were more expensive than a Garrard 401 when introduced. I understand they were meant for studios and broadcasting. It's a pity they are not available in plenty .

Wow. Your JP T 425 looks sleek and nice. Yes, I have compared the JP T 500 with many well known turntables. The reproduction on JP is exceptional. The torque of the JP being a belt drive is like an idler wheel's. I read on Lencoheaven that these JP turntables were more expensive than a Garrard 401 when introduced. I understand they were meant for studios and broadcasting. It's a pity they are not available in plenty .
There is one available in my area. Any experience how it goes with classical music? Have you had to replace a belt yet - if so where did you get one?

Pulled the trigger and purchased it. Is in excellent condition and a big unit at 435mm x 550mm. Came with a Shure White Label cartridge.

congrats on your purchase, please post some pictures if you can, all of us are eager to have a look
Many thanks. As others have said the sound quality on vocals is exceptional. I haven't tried it with many genres yet. Here are a couple of pictures:

Attachments

• 20231230_084346.jpg
    20231230_084346.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 20231230_084352.jpg
    20231230_084352.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 28
I recently replaced the tonearm of my JP T-500 with an excellent tonearm which was with me from a CEC transcription turntable and the new tonearm which is far superior to the original NEAT tonearm has enhanced the quality of reproduction to a higher level. The new tonearm is also a NEAT tonearm with universal headshell. I have the option to use different cartridges.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back