My OB speaker

hello friends,

finally my speakers are ready after a long wait. did many experiments on them(again as i said there were no objctive measurements but the sound tuned to my ears.)took out 15" woofers which i didn't like. I put 12" speakers in their place which are giving tighter bass.got the baffles polished. will post the pics soon.

so the final configuration is DVDP>>> coaxial to Yamaha RXV 361. sub out crossed at 120KHz fed to powered mixer(which works as sub amplifier250W RMS at 4ohms).). front speakers set as large and bass out through "BOTH". each speaker unit has 3 drivers.Philips tweeter playing through high pass 4Khz filter. the full ranger 8" driver getting full signal. the 3rd 12" speaker played by the sub amplifier, getting signals below 120KHz. all the speakers including the sub are on folded open baffle, a kind of U frame woofer. since the wings of the baffle are folded at 90 degrees(giving parallel surfaces), i needed some kind of damping. i have used 2" thick foam for it. i know it is not an ideal material, but i coudn't take risk of using glass wool on open baffle especially when i have two kids at home.
for movies, i keep front speakers as "small" on AVR speaker set up to protect full range drivers from low frequencies. i watched a few movies but they were not action movies, so the real test for movies not done yet but i am happy with the performance in music.

final cost of speakers: drivers with passive high pass filter: Rs. 3000. wood and carpenter, about Rs 4500.

What do you mean by "protect the full range from low freq" ? Why not let them overlap with the bass drivers?

Great work! Waiting for the pics!

Cheers

What do you mean by "protect the full range from low freq" ? Why not let them overlap with the bass drivers?

Great work! Waiting for the pics!

Cheers

the natural freq response of full rangers is 55to18000 Hz. waves below 50 Hz can damage these speakers which already have stiff suspension and very small Cmax(to and fro motion of voice coil). In music, waves below 50Hz are rare but in movies, quakes, blasts, fire sound go quite lower. so i have to take care that these delicate speakers do not get very low freq waves. that is where the active XO of the AVR comes into play.

Here are some pics of the latest set up. the tweeter and middle speaker are driven by yamaha RXV 361 while the lower speaker is driven by the powered mixer

Attachments

• the set up.jpg
    the set up.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 91
  • speaker close up.jpg
    speaker close up.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 89
  • face of powered mixer.jpg
    face of powered mixer.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 90
Here are some pics of the latest set up. the tweeter and middle speaker are driven by yamaha RXV 361 while the lower speaker is driven by the powered mixer

Whats that thing with the Mickey Mouse ears? :)

Looks even better now. Did you make a new rack?

Cheers

Whats that thing with the Mickey Mouse ears? :)

Looks even better now. Did you make a new rack?

Cheers

the red thing is cover of my 22" computer monitor cum TV.
the micky mouse ears are another set of open baffle full range speakers put behind the monitor. they work only for TV. i rarely watch TV and my family members are happy with the speakers. so the main speakers play the CD player only.:lol:

i didn't make a new rack. just got the old rack polished. i was unhappy with my previous carpenter as he never did his job on time. took me almost 4 months to find another one.

changed the speakers a bit as well. now there is a plain surface over each speaker. AVR is set on right speaker and powered mixer is on the other speaker: saves space on the rack and adds weight to the speakers, may help in giving better bass.

the red thing is cover of my 22" computer monitor cum TV.
the micky mouse ears are another set of open baffle full range speakers put behind the monitor. they work only for TV. i rarely watch TV and my family members are happy with the speakers. so the main speakers play the CD player only.:lol:

i didn't make a new rack. just got the old rack polished. i was unhappy with my previous carpenter as he never did his job on time. took me almost 4 months to find another one.

changed the speakers a bit as well. now there is a plain surface over each speaker. AVR is set on right speaker and powered mixer is on the other speaker: saves space on the rack and adds weight to the speakers, may help in giving better bass.

You've put the mixer and AVR on a source of vibrations. The physical vibes can affect the quality of sine waves generated by the transformer. People spend $$$ on isolating equipment from vibrations you know?

Regards

You've put the mixer and AVR on a source of vibrations. The physical vibes can affect the quality of sine waves generated by the transformer. People spend $$$ on isolating equipment from vibrations you know?

Regards

hi gobble,

and the females of our species spend $$$$$$ on things that vibrate?:lol::lol::lol::lol:

and all because their male counterparts are spending all their time trying to isolate their audio-equipment and forgetting how to cause the right vibrations?:lol::lol::lol:

Regards

thanks for pointing it out. somehow i am unable to notice any worsening of sound quality(thank god, i am not an audiophile). Probably, because i am using light weight drivers(the driver is 1.3 KG)and probably because i play music at low volume it may not have affected the sound quality to the extent that i can notice it.

at present, i am unable to find any better place for this equipment( a place where my kids cannot fiddle with volume control).

BTW, i compared AVR sound(in stereo mode) with that of powered mixer (in stereo mode). the AVR sound(even when played in direct mode) is very thin and needs a boost by a woofer. the sound of mixer is full bodied and the full rangers alone give more than adequate bass so that i don't need the lower 12 inch woofer. i like the sound so much that AVR is now just VR. the lower 12" speakers are there on the assembly just to maintain the looks. they are no more functioning.

my AVR is Yamaha RXV 361, which entry level AVR. so can't complain about that. since i bought the powered mixer, i always feel,"why didn't i come across it before buying AVR" as my listening is 95% music and 5% movies.
i was one of those unlucky ones who joined the forum after making the purchase. spent Rs 13.5 K for AVR and now i am getting better sound with 7.5K powered mixer.
One advantage is that the AVR makes life of my mother in law easier. I am using 22" monitor for PC as well as for TV. so it involves a lot of efforts for a person like her to put on the TV.:)

hi gobble,

and the females of our species spend $$$$$$ on things that vibrate?:lol::lol::lol::lol:

and all because their male counterparts are spending all their time trying to isolate their audio-equipment and forgetting how to cause the right vibrations?:lol::lol::lol:

hmm,

see? Suri has a very important point here "why you should not bother much about isolating vibrations in audio equipment". it will save a lot $$$$$ for the time when upgrading bug bites you.:D:D

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back