My recently finished reference headphone amplifier

Looking good there! How does it sound?

Hoping to borrow a friend's SR-404 tonight so i can listen to it. Will post an update about sound impressions soon.

victorexstata017.jpg

Thanks guys :)

Oh and I am listening to the amp witha pair of Stax SR-404 Signature headphones that i borrowed from a friend. I have heard and owned the exstatas earlier, but they were both the prototype versions. And i tell you, I don't remember the amp sounding this good. The bass is now so good that it is enough to even satisfy me. Bone shaking deep and tight.

I thought i was done with stas but man, I so want to build one for myself now.
This amp was built for a friend. I think he is going to be very very pleased with the investment.

This is going to blow a few minds at the meet this Saturday, gauranteed!

Last edited:
Got rid of the nasty hissing pot noise... :yahoo: One last pic of the setup before the amp is shipped off later next week. :p

victorexstata016.jpg

victorexstata023.jpg

Last edited:
Got one of the EHHA amplifiers cased up. The other is giving me too many problems..will have to wait till i get back from India to tackle it.

Its features,

a matched pair of Valvo NOS ECC86 tubes. The tubes just poke out a tiny weeny bit (like 1mm ) on the top of the case. Case can be easily opened to switch tubes out.
Big 160VA Avel lindberg transformer
Separate transformer for the heater supplies.
12.6Volt Low drop out voltage regulator based DC heater supply for the tubes
High quality Vampire RCA jacks
Alps RK27 blue velvet potentiometer
AMB S22 dual rail supply for the High voltage section
Tube high voltage startup delay. On turn on the heaters of the tubes come up first and a few seconds later (LED indicator keeps flashing during this time to indicate that it is warming up) 20 seconds later the high voltage supply is applied to the amplifier and the S22 power supply comes on (LED stops flashing ).
Amplifier is biased deep into class A
Solid aluminium silver knob and walnut wood front panel.

ehha005.jpg

ehha001.jpg

Just trying to clear off my DIY projects here in my spare time..

Another EHHA build ...just got it cased up.

ehhano2001.jpg

ehhano2002.jpg

An eXStata build in progress...waiting for some parts so I can finish up the input wiring.

exstatalarry001.jpg

exstatalarry002.jpg

Just got done wiring up this exstata...phew..
I am a bit nervous to throw a switch as this is the first time I am using a Digital volume control based on the PGA2320 (board and design by luvdunhill on head-fi). Going to recheck everything tomorrow morning before turning it on.

exstatalarry00001.jpg

exstatalarry00002.jpg

Hey Sach,
Sorry for waking this zombie up, but could you please post your impressions of how the HD650's sound through the CTH, compared to the other amps you've built? Thanks for your time!

I spoke to Sachi in November, when I was in the US. He now has a full time job after completing his masters, so is probably now running hard in the "rat race"!

Hey Sach,
Sorry for waking this zombie up, but could you please post your impressions of how the HD650's sound through the CTH, compared to the other amps you've built? Thanks for your time!

Never heard the HD650 through the CTH..but i would imagine it would sound pretty good. The CTH is a stacker like amp in super mini form..it just lets you listen to the tube that is in use. alll i can say is you won't be disappointed. Howdever, the EHHA is what you want for the sennheisers and AKGs.

Namskara Sachi

Good to hear from you again, do keep posting now and then. I thought you might have joined the "rat race" and be busy at work these days!

namaskara george Sir :)

the rat race has definitely curtailed and cut into my listening time. However, am nearly moved in to my new place and in the 3rd month of my work..things are going good and hope to do some caatching up on some long listening sessions soon.

Do let me know in advance when you make your way out here next time and try to make it to portland :)

Never heard the HD650 through the CTH..but i would imagine it would sound pretty good. The CTH is a stacker like amp in super mini form..it just lets you listen to the tube that is in use. alll i can say is you won't be disappointed. Howdever, the EHHA is what you want for the sennheisers and AKGs.

Thanks for your thoughts. The EHHA looks a bit too much of an amp for my intended project. I am just looking at adding a decent headphone section to the DIY pre/phono that I'm planning for and I am not sure if I need the firepower of the EHHA, atleast at this time...

grubbyhalo..let me know if you are interested in a CTH. I have a previous customer of mine for whom i built one who is looking to sell it now. He has had it for a year and half..it was a boutique build. I might be able to get it for you cheap. It will ship out from Japan.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back