My RPi experience...

sureshkn

Disclaimer : No affiliation with the sellers.

It happened over a period of one year. I was tracking Raspberry Pi from the beginning. Became more interested when the Wolfson DAC board was announced for it. Then became busy in setting up my Turntable setup. Did not think about digital for a long time.

Later beginning of this year started RPi again. Purchased RPi 2 bundle from CrazyPi. Learnt that Wolfon DAC board is not compatible with RPi 2, then started hunting for new board. Hifiberry was one option. Then came across AudioPhonics ESS7023 DAC. I purchased the TCXO V2.

Ran different audio distros(Volumio, RuneAudio, Moode) and settled with RuneAudio for the great usablity. Then heard about Kali reclocker by Allo from Volumio website. I contacted them, surprisingly they had office in Bangalore and they were willing to test my Audiophonics DAC.

Visited their office and tested the DAC and came to know about their Vana+ amplifier. Had a demo of that as well. After few days of thinking, ordered Kali and Vana+. Paid in INR and items shipped from Bangalore.

Kali & Vana+ combination was a true surprise, inspite of the low price (compared to other reclockers :) ) the audio was smooth and mellowed, which I liked very much. Then added a cheap USB DVD drive along with a cheap USB powered hub. Unable to make it work with RuneAudio, Volumio. Then tried with Raspbian Lite as well, did not help. Then tried with VLC. With VLC, audio CDs played fine from the USB DVD. So, Raspbian Lite became my distro now.

My current setup for Digital audio, Streaming and Audio CDs is.,

- RPi 2
- AudioPhonics ESS7023 DAC TCXO V2
- Kali Reclocker
- Vana+ Amplifier

Raspbian Lite with MPD as the music player, ncmpc is the user interface. Audio CD playback through VLC. ConnectBot SSH client from my phone to control.

Only cons are Kali Reclocker is not HAT compatible meaning the board is slightly larger than RPi. So, need custom made casing. Vana+ comes with acrylic case, but the Volume controller & RCA input are side by side, making the setup uglier.

Given a choice now, I will go with Allo's Piano DAC instead of AudioPhonics.
Anyhow I feel this is best value for the money combination, I have heard so far.

Thanks,
Suresh.

Hello ,

Please let me know ,what you think about using Allo Volt + Amp + Stepped Attenuator with my TV ,i plan to use bookshelf Speaker for the same setup .Any suggestions ? can you help me in choosing

regards,

Giri

Just read my old post. It should be Volt+ amp, not Vana+. Typo. :lol:
I like the Volt+ amp & RPi combination. Stepped attenuator should be good, I guess.
Now Allo has Volt+ amp with Stepped attenuator combo and better acrylic casing. It is a value for money offer.

Hello ,

Please let me know ,what you think about using Allo Volt + Amp + Stepped Attenuator with my TV ,i plan to use bookshelf Speaker for the same setup .Any suggestions ? can you help me in choosing

regards,

Giri

I have used the RPi3+BossDac+TPA3116D2 Amp combination. It sounds very good.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Has anyone tried just RPI and Allo Boss DAC combo. If yes how was the experience

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Hi,

Did you do any settings to make Kali compatible withe the dac you bought ?
or it was compatible out of the box ?

I have hifiberry dac+ and I am wondering if it works.

-Amit

Has anyone tried just RPI and Allo Boss DAC combo. If yes how was the experience

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

I have tried both the RPI 3 with Boss as well as piano 2.1
The boss and piano are very subtle differences. the boss seems to enhance the bass a tad bit more. where as the piano offers better tonal separation.

i am sure you not go wrong with either.

I have tried both the RPI 3 with Boss as well as piano 2.1
The boss and piano are very subtle differences. the boss seems to enhance the bass a tad bit more. where as the piano offers better tonal separation.

i am sure you not go wrong with either.

I do not have the boss dac but have the vana player. The piano 2.1 performance in latest dual mono configuration is much better. As per comments on other forums i have read, piano 2.1 atleast in dual mono configuration outperforms boss dac.

But the price difference between both need to be considered.

I do not have the boss dac but have the vana player. The piano 2.1 performance in latest dual mono configuration is much better. As per comments on other forums i have read, piano 2.1 atleast in dual mono configuration outperforms boss dac.

But the price difference between both need to be considered.

The Boss versus the Piano 2.1

I would say that the boss may sound slightly better, but In dual mono the sound of Piano 2.1 offers slightly better tonal separation to my ears

but a piano 2.1 with the kali reclocker that i have found it to be much better sounding than the boss dac.

I have tried this in pure direct mode on a marantz SR 6006 as well as on a Marantz PM 6006

The Boss versus the Piano 2.1

I would say that the boss may sound slightly better, but In dual mono the sound of Piano 2.1 offers slightly better tonal separation to my ears

but a piano 2.1 with the kali reclocker that i have found it to be much better sounding than the boss dac.

I have tried this in pure direct mode on a marantz SR 6006 as well as on a Marantz PM 6006

I should have mentioned I use piano 2.1 with Kali :)

2.1 means there is a subwoofer out. The documentation says that default config is 2.1 but it can be re-configured to 2.0 by some software. Did you try it ?

-Amit

if you use Volumio as our player you can set the option there.

what os are you going to be using

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back