My RSD haul..

G401fan

This post is a bit late, but I was out of town the past week, so here goes:

18th April was Record Store Day (RSD) which has been celebrated for the past few years on the third Saturday of April. See RECORD STORE DAY - Home. In the US and Europe it has become an occasion for the release of a slew of commemorative special limited edition LPs, for which customers line up outside major stores hours before they open. Many are snapped up by scalpers who promptly put them up on eBay. My own wish list included Jethro Tull - Live at Carnegie Hall 1970, but was not too sure I'd find a copy,as they'd likely sell out quickly.

Here in India, there's really no RSD traction, as we barely have stores that qualify as full fledged used record shops. Still, in the spirit of things, I thought to check up the local haunts on the 18th hoping for a bit of luck. Checked out Haji Ebrahim records (Salim) at Chor Bazaar, and Razzak at VT, but there was not a nibble. But luck was with me when I met up with Pilak Bhatt of Music Circle, Kandivli, who has the best jazz collection (and great classic rock, too) in the country for sure. The prices were not inexpensive, but neither were they outrageous. Here's what I got:

Ornette Coleman - Ornette (Atlantic, original pink/purple label, Mono, NM)
Ornette Coleman - Tomorrow is the question (Contemporary, 60s issue, NM)
Jimmy Forrest - Most Much (Prestige, original pressing, DG, Mono, NM)
Charlie Christian - Solo Flight (Columbia, 2 LP, Mono, EX)
Jimmy Smith - Midnight Special (Blue Note, 60s issue,NM)
Donald Byrd - Chant (Blue Note '81 issue of unreleased '61 session, NM)
Jimmy Rushing - Mr. Five by Five (Columbia 2 LP, NM)
Lindisfarne - Finest Hour (Charisma,EX)
The Art Tatum Ben Webster Quartet (Verve, original UK pressing,NM)
Art Farmer-Gigi Gryce Quintet - Wild Party (UK Esquire issue, original pressing from '55 in NM condition, and 200 gms+ vinyl - major score!! )
Elvin Bishop - Let it flow (Capricorn, original pressing, EX)
Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder (Blue Note, 60s issue, NM, major score!!)
Allman Brothers Band - Beginnings (Capricorn, 2LP repackaging of their first two albums, NM)
Charles Lloyd Quartet - Live-In (Atlantic, original pressing, EX)
Benny Carter - Carter, Gillespie, Inc. (Pablo, NM)
John McLaughlin - My Goal's Beyond ('81 Elektra Musician re-issue of his first LP, NM)
JJ Johnson & Al Grey - Things are getting better all the time (Pablo, NM)

My last stop that day was The Revolver Club, a new vinyl-lifestyle store housed in what was originally Nova Audio. They had a bunch of great classic rock (Who, Hendrix, Doors, etc) and some jazz, which they'd recently picked up from the US. I had most of the titles already, but a couple that I pulled out turned out to be a bit too pricey. Still, out of a section of battered low priced (300 each) LPs, most of which were easy listening dreck, I managed to find this gem, which nobody seemed to have noticed:

Roland Kirk - Hip! (Fontana Europe issue, late 60s, part of a series of American jazz artists, all with a similar cover art design, NM)

Oh, and I checked out eBay for the Tull album. There were plenty of copies, all high priced, on the US site, but I managed to get one from a Berlin seller at a very reasonable cost. Can't wait for it to arrive.

Last edited:
Congrats!!!.......would you mind sharing much you paid the music circle guys for lps?

Can't help there, kuks1, sorry. Pilak is a good friend, and his pricing is variable depending on the artist, and on rarity, tho' you can always bargain. He would not like his prices revealed, I think. Best to contact him directly.

I was lucky to score two greats jazz LPs too for reasonable price from ebay. both NM Japanese CBS pressing.

Milestones (with OBI) and Newport Rebels. Average about 11 euros which includes registered shipping. there is something really amazing about Jap pressings.

I want to buy a few RSD 15 releases but then maybe I'll get them sometime later. Looking for these:

Frank Zappa
Overture From Frank Zappa's "200 Motels"

DETAILS
Format: 7" Colored Vinyl
Label: Zappa Records

Metallica
No Life Til Leather

DETAILS
Format: Cassette
Label: Blackened

This will be released on vinyl sometime around June. This one I'm definitely going to buy!

Candlemass
Live

DETAILS
Format: 2 x 12" Vinyl
Label: Metal Blade

Jethro Tull
Live at Carnegie Hall

DETAILS
Format: 2 x 12" Vinyl
Label: RHINO

I am seriously thinking about taking two months leave to be guests for sound affairs at all your places.

I will take my car/or a CL500 RE, see part of India and meet you all to listen to music of your choice, through system of your efforts and knowledge.

After all life is to enjoy the next best creation of human being, that is music.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back