My Surprising Choice of Streaming Service

• Thread starter Deleted member 15865
  • Start date
Finally someone with a Mubi subscription here.
Hello fellow cinephile :)
For a long time now! It’s the only app that has been on automatic renewal for years at my end. Have a look at the thread on MUBI here. You’d find some more fellow cinephiles there.

Thread 'MUBI goes Indian, folks!'
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/mubi-goes-indian-folks.78360/

Another good feature about Hungama is how extensively it lists credits for a track. When you click on ‘View details’, it lists not just the artists and the composer, but even the lyricist and the recording label. It’s valuable to some of us. Wish they could make these credits into clickable tags!

For a long time now! It’s the only app that has been on automatic renewal for years at my end. Have a look at the thread on MUBI here. You’d find some more fellow cinephiles there.

Thread 'MUBI goes Indian, folks!'
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/mubi-goes-indian-folks.78360/

Thanks Sachin. I’m a Mubi member for slightly above one year - the selection is good but tilted mostly towards film festival titles unlike Criterion which has a much more extensive catalogue (though still not available in India ).
My main repository is my approx 5 terabyte downloaded stuff got from various private trackers which are invite only, being a cinephile for two decades.

@SachinChavan There's no need to be apologetic about whichever streaming services you prefer, its perfectly fine IMHO. its bound to be criticized because audio is very subjective. Never considered Hungama before, will definitely give it a try now.

My Audio Streaming Services Preference currently ( in descending order) :
Tidal >>> Spotify > Apple Music > YouTube music > Gaana > >Amazon, Jio, Saavn, Wink music etc..
I'll be consolidating into YouTube and mainly Tidal due to Obvious reasons.
NAS Streaming From Ripped Wav files and playing Cds directly sounds better than Tidal depending upon the CD mastering. Many times Tidal has a better master than the CD I am owning. Most of the time my dedicated DSD files sound better than Tidal or Local Wav files.

I have a Tidal and Spotify account. Initially I also had Qobuz but its Regional content was very small.
As far as streaming goes, I mainly use it as either the Tidal account paired with my secondary (which I call casual) setup or the Spotify account on my phone (while on cellular).

My reference is still Vinyls and CDs. Streaming just doesn't cut it when you want to do some critical listening.

My reference is still Vinyls and CDs. Streaming just doesn't cut it when you want to do some critical listening.

+1. Amen.
Not to mention the often very detailed booklets that come with special editions.

Indeed. These often had tasty literature relating to the music itself and extra tid-bits from the singers/musicians.

Streaming has its place but nothing like your LPs and CDs.

Why does every streaming related thread have to disintegrate into ‘how CDs are better than streaming’?

I am noticing this new habit taking roots among us forum members - to disregard the scope of each thread and digress into one’s pet theory/solution. Many threads are getting defocused. ending up losing their purpose/distinctiveness and becoming clones/repetition of other threads as a result.

i hope the moderators are also noting this and find out ways to maintain the high standards the forum has set.

I concur that my comments do not add any value to the main topic of this thread. Mods may censor the above comments if necessary.

Having said that I'd appreciate if fellow members maintained composure while posting. This is an open forum, everyone is free to express their views (hence the word forum).

The persuit of music is to find peace and tranquility. Not to lose it.

Sorry @SachinChavan :) for using this thread for this posting, couldn't think of a better place.

Those on iTunes on Windows computer, have you checked and tried this setting? To me, Direct Sound produces better results, not in the level of that one is listenable and other is not though. I found this today, tried and got convinced so thought would share with fellow members.

1607698775731.png

I concur with most of the points by @SachinChavan. The Radios on Hungama are fantastic. I too have almost all streaming services installed with premium subscription on Gaana, YT Music, Amazon Music, Spotify & Tidal. I am using free version of Hungama. I have abandoned Gaana with their change of focus. I find no use for Amazon too after I got Spotify/Tidal. My use is now limited to Tidal/Spotify/Hungama with occasional visit to YT Music.

My only complaint with Hungama is it doesn't have casting feature, at least in free version.

My only complaint with Hungama is it doesn't have casting feature, at least in free version.

Oh is it? I do cast to my CXN with the paid version which is quite cost effective at Rs 499 per year. Worth considering. Also check on the free version - if the casting icon is on the song display which is accessed by clicking on that rotating disc when a song is playing.

Sound quality-wise I find Hungama casted over the streamer as good/better than other services, except Spotify Premium player natively on the CXN (the best sound quality!). Yes, Spotify Premium (320 kbps) played natively on CXN sounds far better to me than Tidal Hifi (FLAC) played natively on it. Also I’ve gotten over my previous dislike of the neon green color highlighting in Spotify.

So, I have finally settled onto my streaming combo - Spotify Premium and Hungama Paid. While I use the Hungama especially for regional music, old Hindi music and its wonderful radios, Spotify Premium does excellent job with new and Indie music as also international music. At a combined annual subscription fee of Rs 1500, this combo is also very cost effective. With these two, I am not missing the costlier Tidal at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh is it? I do cast to my CXN with the paid version which is quite cost effective at Rs 499 per year. Worth considering. Also check on the free version - if the casting icon is on the song display which is accessed by clicking on that rotating disc when a song is playing.

Sound quality-wise I find Hungama casted over the streamer as good/better than other services, except Spotify Premium player natively on the CXN (the best sound quality!). Yes, Spotify Premium (320 kbps) played natively on CXN sounds far better to me than Tidal Hifi (FLAC) played natively on it. Also I’ve gotten over my previous dislike of the neon green color highlighting in Spotify.

So, I have finally settled onto my streaming combo - Spotify Premium and Hungama Paid. While I use the Hungama especially for regional music, old Hindi music and its wonderful radios, Spotify Premium does excellent job with new and Indie music as also international music. At a combined annual subscription fee of Rs 1500, this combo is also very cost effective. With these two, I am not missing the costlier Tidal at all.
I checked again and I don't see a casting Icon in my App. Maybe it's a paid only feature.

I inquired with Hungama about casting via CCA, Here is their reply! :(

Dear User,
Sincere and humble apologies for the trouble caused.

Currently, chrome cast Audio is not supported however, we have duly taken note of your feedback and the same has been communicated to the Product Team as a suggestion.

Interesting!
I am using Gaana, for Indian music. It's ok, but I agree that UX is not great.
On the other hand, using Tidal Hifi as the main streaming app and I love it. Remarkably good User Experience Design, great support, and most importantly excellent quality (even though most songs I listen to are not MQA). Tidal sounds really good through my Pre box S2 Digital DAC.

In my opinion, Tidal has a better interface than Apple music. And the fact that Tidal connect will soon allow using an iOS or Android device as a streamer while we can remotely control it from a phone itself is very impressive. No longer have to invest in an expensive dedicated streamer.

I am wondering why 320Kbps mp3 sounded better than the uncompressed 1411 Kbps CD-quality from Tidal on CXN! What will be going wrong ?

Is Hungama offering the same 320 Kbps mp3 (Like Gaana)?

I inquired with Hungama about casting via CCA, Here is their reply! :(
I didn’t say Chromecast. Since I use an iPhone, the casting is done via Airplay. I can vouch for that. CXN still can’t play Hungama natively unlike it can lay Spotify/Tidal... if that’s what you mean.

Is Hungama offering the same 320 Kbps mp3 (Like Gaana)?
It doesn’t specify the kbps. Just says HD (for subscribers).

I am wondering why 320Kbps mp3 sounded better than the uncompressed 1411 Kbps CD-quality from Tidal on CXN
I don’t mean resolution-wise. Tidal‘s higher resolution results in better detail especially in the bass. But somehow it sounds dull in my system and I get bored.

By the way, on prolonged listening on both Hungama and Spotify, I am liking the sound quality of Hungama even over Spotify - it’s more natural sounding to my ears, while Spotify has a bit of stress in the highs. And this is even though Hungama is played through Airplay and Spotify natively! I‘d like other users or Hungama to report from their experience.

Further Features Update on Hungama:

I did mention about the well-defined radio stations on Hungama. But it has TV too! It has introduced a Music TV within the same subscription in the app where there are 10 odd thematic video channels broadcasting new music videos. in addition there‘s a separate video section where you can select the music videos you want to play. Not at all bad a fare in Rs499 per year!

It doesn’t specify the kbps. Just says HD (for subscribers).

I don’t mean resolution-wise. Tidal‘s higher resolution results in better detail especially in the bass. But somehow it sounds dull in my system and I get bored.

By the way, on prolonged listening on both Hungama and Spotify, I am liking the sound quality of Hungama even over Spotify - it’s more natural sounding to my ears, while Spotify has a bit of stress in the highs. And this is even though Hungama is played through Airplay and Spotify natively! I‘d like other users or Hungama to report from their experience.
Very interesting indeed. I will give it a try.
Over airplay, is the harsher highs getting chopped? What speakers are you using, if you don't mind?

Very interesting indeed. I will give it a try.
Over airplay, is the harsher highs getting chopped? What speakers are you using, if you don't mind?
I use Castle Knight which are known for their politeness/warmth (paired with Audiolab - a neutral amp and Schitt Bifrost DAC). My standard here (to remove the subjectivity of my rig) to compare streaming services is CDs. Tidal sounds dull in comparison to CD, Spotify brighter, Hungama just right. Please note I am referring to balance only, not resolution.

I use Castle Knight which are known for their politeness/warmth (paired with Audiolab - a neutral amp and Schitt Bifrost DAC). My standard here (to remove the subjectivity of my rig) to compare streaming services is CDs. Tidal sounds dull in comparison to CD, Spotify brighter, Hungama just right. Please note I am referring to balance only, not resolution.
Understood. I am a sucker for details, little tickles.
I no longer have CDs. I will probably buy a decent player/transport in another two years when I can dedicate time. I think that the feel of physical media can't be matched. From an experience perspective. LIke shooting on a Film SLR in 2021 is on cards for me.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back