My Triads: Three TTs in a week

More knowledge is not always good......specially when it comes to enjoying music. When it comes to enjoying music, it's totally a psychological case. I came to know of a person here in Calcutta who sold his Rs. 300k hifi amp because somebody told him being a solid state amp it's too bright and he should go for a tube based system. Now, this maybe an honest & sound advice, but think of the person concern, even after spending almost a million Rs. for his setup, he is still not satisfied. There are people whose interconnects only cost more than the full setup of most of us, still you'll find them upgrading something or other of their chain regularly.

So no point running behind utopia....just try to be satisfied. Specially when it comes to turntable, not being absolutely plug and play, there are so many permutations and combinations available that it's really overwhelming to get the absolute match of everything(plinth,motor, type,arm,cart, mat, cap/res loading etc. etc.).

For a normal home listening setup(total budget~100k Rs), with a nice speaker and amp, IMHO, any of the TT's being discussed will be doing great job, provided they are functioning properly, have a good cart(Shure97/44-7,Ortofon2m, At15ea etc.) properly aligned & setup. Trying to reach beyond that in the initial stage will give nothing but tailspin.

Regards,

Bhaskar

More knowledge is not always good......specially when it comes to enjoying music. When it comes to enjoying music, it's totally a psychological case. I came to know of a person here in Calcutta who sold his Rs. 300k hifi amp because somebody told him being a solid state amp it's too bright and he should go for a tube based system. Now, this maybe an honest & sound advice, but think of the person concern, even after spending almost a million Rs. for his setup, he is still not satisfied. There are people whose interconnects only cost more than the full setup of most of us, still you'll find them upgrading something or other of their chain regularly.

So no point running behind utopia....just try to be satisfied. Specially when it comes to turntable, not being absolutely plug and play, there are so many permutations and combinations available that it's really overwhelming to get the absolute match of everything(plinth,motor, type,arm,cart, mat, cap/res loading etc. etc.).

For a normal home listening setup(total budget~100k Rs), with a nice speaker and amp, IMHO, any of the TT's being discussed will be doing great job, provided they are functioning properly, have a good cart(Shure97/44-7,Ortofon2m, At15ea etc.) properly aligned & setup. Trying to reach beyond that in the initial stage will give nothing but tailspin.

Regards,

Bhaskar

Bhaskar,

As always, very practical advice/opinion.There is no end if you get in to this race. Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.
I have many systems but some times i envy one of my friends, he has one simple analog set up ( Marantz amp,Denon TT,decent speakers along with few LPs & CDs). Every night he listens to few of his fav songs and enjoys music. No comparisons, no race, no DIY, no envy. Gives time to his family also.That is a content man.
The music is important not the hardware, for myself also.:lol:

Last edited:
the 2 iconic dangers, every hi-fi enthusiast has been facing since the old days are:

1) you're friends rig sounds better than yours
2) a visiting friend passing a negative (or constructive) comment about the sound of your rig.

millions of dollars have been spent the world over, because of these 2 perils :)

like Tammy Wynette sang "Stand by your man", I would say, "Stand by your rig" (after the pain you've gone through to put it together) :)

the 2 iconic dangers, every hi-fi enthusiast has been facing since the old days are:

1) you're friends rig sounds better than yours
2) a visiting friend passing a negative (or constructive) comment about the sound of your rig.

millions of dollars have been spent the world over, because of these 2 perils :)

like Tammy Wynette sang "Stand by your man", I would say, "Stand by your rig" (after the pain you've gone through to put it together) :)

Very well said Reuben......

I always happy with my less bling factor HT system (see my signature) than showoff modules.

To be honest, I have listen to one of my friend's million bucks HT system and I could make out very less difference compared to mine. Let's put blame on my ears :lol:.

The idea is to get the maximum out of whatever you have without going overboard. This is what I am going to do with these TTs. I enjoy more in this than buying very expensive equipment and keep covering it and save it from scratches.

Got to know from home that my Technics SL-Q200 from US has been delivered at home here in Korea. :yahoo:

Would be checking it today evening but intend to keep it packed. So, I will take out and then will take some picture and pack it again. Real usage will start in India. This TT requires phono, I do not have one, so cannot test. :eek:

Here are some high resolution photos of my Denon DP-300F with stock cartridge & Technics SL-Q200 with Signet TK4eP cartridge

Technics SL-Q200 Direct Drive with AT Signet TK4ep cart.

I always happy with my less bling factor HT system (see my signature) than showoff modules.

To be honest, I have listen to one of my friend's million bucks HT system and I could make out very less difference compared to mine. Let's put blame on my ears :lol:.

The idea is to get the maximum out of whatever you have without going overboard. This is what I am going to do with these TTs. I enjoy more in this than buying very expensive equipment and keep covering it and save it from scratches.

This is true however many are not bold or honest enough to own up to it. Bottom line is what sounds best to one's ears is the best rig and not one that just sounds ok, despite receiving rave reviews on internet audio review websites.

Personally, comparing all the equipment I've ever heard against the rig which I have currently, the one I have currently is the most enjoyable one for me, however this feeling was blown out of the window, the moment I placed the NAD 3020 on my rig and wired it up. But that's another story.

This is true however many are not bold or honest enough to own up to it. Bottom line is what sounds best to one's ears is the best rig and not one that just sounds ok, despite receiving rave reviews on internet audio review websites.

Personally, comparing all the equipment I've ever heard against the rig which I have currently, the one I have currently is the most enjoyable one for me, however this feeling was blown out of the window, the moment I placed the NAD 3020 on my rig and wired it up. But that's another story.

Hey Reuben - Still eagerly waiting for that other story where the main character is the NAD 3020 :).

This is true however many are not bold or honest enough to own up to it. Bottom line is what sounds best to one's ears is the best rig and not one that just sounds ok, despite receiving rave reviews on internet audio review websites...

Perfectly fine. Even If I have millions of $$$ I cannot go once and buy once for all perfect rig that sounds out of the world. But taste of sound evolves gradually and the more one involves the more he discovers different tastes of sound.

So, there is no end but have to start somewhere to grow. With these TTs, I will try to make something that is pleasing to ear and then I will invite you to my house for listening session in Bangalore.

Before that long lists of things have to do.

Perfectly fine. Even If I have millions of $$$ I cannot go once and buy once for all perfect rig that sounds out of the world. But taste of sound evolves gradually and the more one involves the more he discovers different tastes of sound.

So, there is no end but have to start somewhere to grow. With these TTs, I will try to make something that is pleasing to ear and then I will invite you to my house for listening session in Bangalore.

Before that long lists of things have to do.

In my opinion, one can start calling when half pleased itself. Its often good enough. I would like to get invited too for a listening session. Hope it won't be all Korean music :D

I think sooner or latter I need to upgrade the cartridge of me Denon to Shure or Ortofon as the stock cartridge does not take out all details. Also I like bright output which don't come out with present set-up.

Hey Reuben - Still eagerly waiting for that other story where the main character is the NAD 3020 :).

I've been a little slow on DIY projects and reviews due to work committments. Even at home, the evenings are spent with my Laptop, with vinyl playing in the background. Let me try to pen the same, tonight. We did the comparisons on the weekend and I've scribbled my findings on a note pad.

I have ordered AT - 92ECD cartridge for my Technics SL-Q200 from US. It will reach here in few days. Also, I have ordered one Battery powered Phono - Amp. This Phono Amp will be temporary arrangement for the time being.

The already fitted Signet TK4ep cartridge seems to be very costly also it's stylus as well. The new cartridge price is around $200. Stylus for this cartridge is gone and it needs an immediate change. But, I will keep it safe until I get some reasonable rate for its stylus. Any pointer/help regarding this?

I have done some cleaning of my Technics table. I wanted to lubricate the motor with oil, but it seems the platter is fixed to the motor in this particular model. Manuals from Vinyl Engine also indicates the same. Please help how to lubricate motor in this particular DD model?

I shall get a pair of CNC from Sachin once I go back to India. I have already requested him.

Meanwhile, my Denon DP300F is going on full swing and every morning I have listening session with it. However, I do not have much of the my choice of LPs here. Denon DP 300F is one of the good turntable made by Denon and I am impressed with it. It just need cartridge upgrade. I am looking for some of my friends who will return from US to carry Shure cart for me.

Please enjoy following pictures of Vinyl Store that I took with better camera other day. See heart shape LP in 3rd photo (Perfect gift on Valentines Day! :lol::lol:)

IMG_1198 (Medium).jpg

IMG_1199 (Medium).jpg

IMG_1200 (Medium).jpg

IMG_1201 (Medium).jpg

IMG_1202 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
Always a pleasure to see a vinyl record store. If you get a chance to visit the United States, do try to pay a visit to Jerry's. Its kind of like a vinyl pilgrimage. He has a whole warehouse full of records.

Did small servicing of my Technics SL-Q200 TT and oiled the motor. I was not able to take out platter and found one video which explained method to take out platter correctly. That video was bang on and platter was removed gently.

Verified the RPM from strobe light method and both RPM 331/3 & 45 coming properly. The foots of TT are in last stage and I have to find equivalent foots to replace. Original foots are priced exorbitantly on ebay. I will look in hardware shops for equivalent foots and then balance horizontally the TT with spirit level app in my phone.

I am not able to fire it up as I am yet to receive the AT92ECD cart. In a day or two I should receive cart here.

For many days my TTs are perfect past time here as there is not much to do here socially for me.

Received my AT92E cart from ebay.com and I fitted it in my "P" mount Technics SL-Q200 and it has very excellent and musical output as per my taste. Quite happy with this cartridge performance. :yahoo::clapping:

Oops could not upload pics here anymore. I will put these pics in flickr and put link here.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back