My Triads: Three TTs in a week

anujmishra

This is unusual story of buying Three TTs in a week from three countries India, South Korea & US.

One and half week back, I was searching for Turntables. I posted in this forum as well for getting feedback regarding Sherwood Manual TT. I have got enough response. I dropped that idea to buy Sherwood.
At present, I am in Korea for few months. I searched local website and found lots of store which is selling old classic LPs. Also there was nearby flea market which sells old vintage TTs. I went and inquire there mostly about Technics. There were only 3 - 4 available and asking price was whopping ~$500+. I came back straight from that flea market.
I got some PM about one Technics TT from one FM and I immediately decided to buy that one. This was Technics SL-Q3 and in perfect working condition with AT cart. Since, I cannot go and check it personally, I asked for photographs, I immediately got in my email. SL-Q3 is nice automatic TT, there are many positive about this TT in many forums. But, I cannot use this TT for next 6 - 7 months, once I return back to India. It will be kept secured at my one of relative's place in Bangalore.

But here in Korea, I wanted one TT for these 6 - 7 months of stay. While browsing some local website, I surprisingly found Denon DP 300F for price ~$280. This is some $50 cheaper than US price in Korea and it is surprise. This TT also got good feedback as a beginner TT around the world. Also, positive thing is this is automatic TT. I did want to delve into manual one. I placed order here and got next day at my home. I started using this with all my locally procured LPs.

Then the third is about chance. During all this stint, I was searching good reasonable TT in ebay US site as well. Most of the Technics are priced exorbitantly. I found one Technics SL-Q200 for $29.90 as initial bid. According to owner it is in perfect working condition with just two issue
1. Stylus is worn out 2. Lid has some small crack on top. He uploaded lots of photograph of this TT on ebay. I bid for this TT then forgot. I did not want to go for it and thought I will be outbid in no moment. The shipping charge was quoted as $78. One day while checking mail I found I won this TT. :lol:. I did not want to get back and spoil my reputation and paid $108 to seller. Next day seller shipped the TT and surprisingly he returned $10 back to my Paypal account. It is on transit and I still did not receive it.

So, here is the story of three TTs in a week. Two Vintage Technics & one Denon. :clapping:. I want to keep all these TTs in best working condition forever. I will upgrade carts in all TTs once I come back to India.

Here are the photos.
My Denon DP 300F during initial setup and first vinyl playing
Denon DP 300F - a.jpg

My Technics SL-Q3 TT bought in India
Technics SL-Q3-2.jpg

My Technics SL-Q200 bought from US.
Technics Sl-Q200.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for all your wishes.

Yes, I need to buy three good Phono Stages for all my three TTs as I do not want keep on switching phono from TTs. At present, I am using Denon's inbuilt phono stage here but this is just stop gap arrangement. There are other work as well. I have to change the carts. Technics SL-Q200 requires P mount cart. Also, in SL-Q3 the headshell does not seems original from Technics.

One of the vintage Technics will go to my bedroom. I will procure good BS as well.

Here in Korea I'm also in discussion with one expat who is selling his NAD 325BEE Amp for US $130 with two BS free with it. He is at present in different city and he will come back tomorrow. I think this is good price and soon I will visit and audition this amp. I think, I will bring down him around $100 as soon he is leaving country and he cannot carry this much luggage.

I already have Norge 2060 lying idle with me. I will use it with one of the TTs.

You have entered the vinyl world in a big way!
Maybe a solid state set up with one TT and a tube amp set up with another, what say?

You have entered the vinyl world in a big way!
Maybe a solid state set up with one TT and a tube amp set up with another, what say?

I would love to do but let my better half permit :eek:hyeah: me to keep those big boxes of tube amp in my home. For solid state yes I would think after some time.

My priority first is to setup all TTs with decent amps & speakers. Then one by one will upgrade.

One of the problems of buying in desperation is that, you would end up with not so great models. Clearly the two Technics are good vintage turntables but are not necessarily top notch stuff in Technics. The Denon is a beginners turntable which you would outgrow very quickly.

Having 3 average turntables vs. one top notch one would be clearly a good idea IMHO.

Did not mean to dampen your enthusiasm, but many people are buying TTs in a hurry and in desperation, and in the process not waiting for the right model and the deal.

Cheers.

Now in these 6-7 months you can plan for a good phono stage and a set speakers.
5.gif

One of the problems of buying in desperation is that, you would end up with not so great models. Clearly the two Technics are good vintage turntables but are not necessarily top notch stuff in Technics. The Denon is a beginners turntable which you would outgrow very quickly.

Having 3 average turntables vs. one top notch one would be clearly a good idea IMHO.

Did not mean to dampen your enthusiasm, but many people are buying TTs in a hurry and in desperation, and in the process not waiting for the right model and the deal.

Cheers.
I agree to you certain extent but all of these turntables can be modified to extract best sound out of it. If you go to many international forums there are many fans of Denon DP300F and in one of the thread one guy has dropped the Project TT in favour of this model. After changing appropriate cart this TT sound near equal to good TT.

Regarding the top notch in Technics TT many veterans believed that the SL1200 is one of the hyped TT. He posted in one forum about problem in his one of the existing TT, without thinking about problem he wrote, many people suggested get the Technics 1200MK2. For all problems there is universal solution get this TT. I shall put that thread link here, if I happen to see again. It is in audiokarma.

There is unprecedented asking price for this Technics 12XX models, which is no way justifiable in present scenario. Yes, these are sturdy TT most suitable for rough handling, that is why DJ's prefer this TT. If somebody plans not to do rough handling, then he can look beyond to more reasonable TTs available with similar characteristics.

The idea to get these TTs is having more flexibility in modification than modifying one TT left & right. I can put MC cart in one TT & MM cart in one and then listen to variety of sound.

Also, just having good top notch TT would not get the best out of it. There are phono stage, amps, speakers, interconnects, listening room affects the overall quality.

Moreover, any of the decision of buying these TTs are not in haste. I have read several of reviews & feedback of these TTs. Yes, by chance it all happened in one week. I am really happy to own all these and moreover it is investment, I think in present scenario.

Not to worry though, in the present context, any turntable (especially Technics direct drives) are desirable objects and can be easily sold if you want to down size. Not sure about the Denon but the Technics DDs will definitely recover your investment in them.

Decent or average tt aside, getting a TT is only half the battle won. There's a lot more to analog sound than just the turntable itself. Partner a really good table with a bad phono amp and it'll sound bad. Same way partner it with an average cartridge and it'll only sound about average.

You now need to spend on the following three

- A good phono preamp - at least a basic CA 640p or similar
- A decent cartridge in the range of a shure or an ortofon 2m red
- Finally another thing that matters is isolation - decoupling the TT by placing it on a heavy secondary plinth with proper footers makes a massive difference in sound. Of course this is only applicable if your table is non suspended. For suspended tables, it gets into a lot more pain.

I agree with all the above posts.Anilva is completely right.He has good experience with some very high end vintage TTs.Technics Sl-Q3 or Denon DP300 could not match stock Technics 1200.Both the Tts can be improved to satisfactory level.They are much better than current entry and mid level TTs.
I have used Technics SL-303 in past.It was a good TT.It was very good but not in a competition with SL1200.I am currently using Lanco L-75,without plinth and without proper arm alignment.It still beats Technics 1200.
You can use better cart and Phonostage on them.CA640P is good too,but there are better options available in DIY ESP 06,Buggle,CNC Phonostage etc.
You got decent TTs to start your vinyl journey.They will certainly perform at satisfactory level.You can always upgrade to better TTs,please don't discard Technics 1200.

Regards,
Sachin

You got decent TTs to start your vinyl journey.They will certainly perform at satisfactory level.You can always upgrade to better TTs,please don't discard Technics 1200.

Regards,
Sachin

Yes Sachin. I have not negated any view or anilva. I just put what I read in some forum. Also, I was looking for Technics SL1200 MK2 but its price put me back for sometime. I will certainly look for it in near future, if it comes with reasonable price band.
Regarding phono I would start with your CNC Phono stage. I have already communicated you.

I will upgrade Shure M97Xe & Ortofon 2M red cart in two TTs. I see these two carts are more popular. I between If I get better suggestion, I will sure look into it. For P mount cart, I have not planned anything. I have kept per cart $100 budget right now. All my experiment will start once I reach India. With different carts will help me understand different sound signature.

Yes, I am DIY fan as you can see in my signature. I have built myself sub for my HT. During my college days I have also built amps (not so great spec. It was as per budget available at that time). I was evid reader for EFY magazine then.

I will play around with these TTs for 1 - 2 years and then after gaining enough experience look for change.

Yep if you have the time and energy to DIY, nothing like it!

Yes, I will start with DIY phono stage then look for better one. I am very much tempted with Pass B1 build for the time being I am holding it.

Out of all the Technics DD TTs, SL-Q 3 is one of the most musical according to a friend who is a Technics expert. Some listeners would prefer it over even SL-1200 series according to him. Sl-Q 33 is another very musical Technics DD along with SL-D3 series. Please remember, these are all personal preferences and may not be the case in general. Whatever said, I am not a fan of the SL-1210 DJ series and can clearly say, it's prices are really due to the hype . It is not value for money if you ask me. As Sachin posted, you might as well invest in a Lenco -L 75 and put them up on bricks and it will sound better even with stock arm

Did not mean to dampen anyone's enthusiasm. Every turntable out there (lousy and good ) has a fan following. They will make you believe that it is one of the best. They are not trying to misguide but have not seen anything better most of the time.

See the turntables before you buy. Check the build quality and condition.

Like Sachin mentioned, L75 is a damn good investment.

Did not mean to dampen anyone's enthusiasm. Every turntable out there (lousy and good ) has a fan following. They will make you believe that it is one of the best. They are not trying to misguide but have not seen anything better most of the time.

See the turntables before you buy. Check the build quality and condition.

Like Sachin mentioned, L75 is a damn good investment.

Spot on, i've echoed similar thoughts today, on another thread. A review is one's personal opinion. Reviews directly influence the need for ownership, bragging rights, market value and what not, however need not necessarily influence your personal opinion. Reviews can also be misleading as this has become a big part of on-line marketing strategy. Some orgs even have specialized marketing teams who will-fully place online reviews to favourably promote products. Bottom line is, if you like it, its the best in the world for you, period :)

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back