My vintage tube amps.

kaps

I have a vintage tube amp scavanged from a working Philips spool tape recorder player. The model was EL 351. Made in Holland. It has Mullard tubes in it. Tube numbers are EF 86, ECC 83, ECL 82 and EM 87.

Since I cut the wires between spool tape mechanism and Amp I forgot the connections.

Can forum members guide me how to make this functional again. I stay in Gurgaon. Does anyone know a good tube amp mechanic in Gurgaon.

Attaching pix.

Regards.

Pix attached.

My god what have you done ?? PHOTOGRAPHS ---- PHOTOGRAPHS and lots of them and copious notes before opening up any equipment on which you are working for the first time.

Now since the deed is done, contact Viren Sir of lyrita who is near you at Delhi and if he feels he has time, he will surely do something for you. DONT however let the nukkar walla clowns lay their hands on it. BTW this is a OTL amp, and you would require output transformer for it or the original Philips 800ohms ... yes 800 ohms speakers for it to function.

Regards

lifewater

My god what have you done ?? PHOTOGRAPHS ---- PHOTOGRAPHS and lots of them and copious notes before opening up any equipment on which you are working for the first time.
Not to mention the HV zapp you are likely to get if a little careless ;)

While waiting for the experts to chime in you may need to decide on two options

1. A full fledged restoration to get back recording and playback capacity? Or
2. Just use the AF section as a stand alone amplifier?

Option #1 can be done but will require lot more skill/resources as mechanical restoration on the machine will be part of the process. Dont worry about the cut wires as its easy to find out what goes where. Do you have the housing of the machine? Inside you can find a schematic which would have pasted to the bottom cover as per standard Philips practice of the day.

Option #2 is relatively easy and IMHO desirable. You will be rewarded by a sweet little amp giving a whopping 2 watts. If there is another scrapped tape of same model than you can even build a stereo. You will just need the ECL82 triode/pentode, the Ez81 rectifier and the ironware. Rest of them and certainly the resistors and capacitors can be chucked away.

Some more notes:
1. It is not an OTL amp.
2. That black recessed dial on the white plate (attached to the bigger transformer) is the input voltage selector. Its marker notch will be in the underside of tape machine. Just ensure that the selector is at 240AC else your trany will fry if the AC lead is plugged-in inadvertently.

All the best.

There's an old russian saying (which was put into practical use with the maintenance and up-keep of the erstwhile MIR space station) - "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Guess this applies for this case. Nevertheless since the deed is done, the only way forward is to correct it.

Firstly what was the intention of taking out the amplifier? Did you plan to use it as a stand-alone amplifier? If yes, then don't waste your time trying to put it back and wire it up to the r2r mechanism.

The tubes are pretty staple with EM84 being the magic eye.

Can you give a separate snap of the cut wires? Seems like the wiring to the 5-pin din socket are intact. He wiring to the R/P head is likely to be shielded while the wiring to the erase head is likely to be flex-wiring. Again if you can get the schematic from somewhere, it would be relatively easy to connect back the wires.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back