Nad 801 towers

agasthya14

Hi Everybody,,
i am new to the forum.I am taking an Avid interest in to audio off late.We have a pair of NAD 801 speakers at home.There are only two pages on the whole of the internet on them in a strange language.Can somebody throw some light on this?.they are 4 way with a 8" woofer,6" midrange,tweeter in the front and back and a switch at the bottom near the terminals.(what for? I wonder)
Agas

Oooo very interesting. OK here is my thought on this.
Usually a speaker can not sound better than its components. It can sound worse, but not better. So post details and pics of the components. Is it a soft dome tweeter ? or paper cone ? Mids look like they are Carbon fiber basket weave, and the woofer looks treated paper. What is the XO like ?
Cool.
Srinath.

Hi srinath,
I have attached the pics of the speaker. The midrange and woofer cone seem to be made of paper. The tweeters are dome type. I can't hear any appreciable change in the sound when the switch is operated. So can you throw any light on the matter?
Thanks in advance
http://www.hifivision.com/images/smilies/signthankspin.gif

Attachments

• IMG_7693.jpg
    IMG_7693.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_7697.jpg
    IMG_7697.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_7698.jpg
    IMG_7698.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_7703.jpg
    IMG_7703.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_7704.jpg
    IMG_7704.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_7705.jpg
    IMG_7705.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 59
Someone told me these speakers were made when NAD was formed in 1978.Don't know for sure though.

Attachments

• IMG_7694.jpg
    IMG_7694.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_7695.jpg
    IMG_7695.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_7696.jpg
    IMG_7696.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 53
1978 ??? LOL, that was the year B&W's 801 came out.
Your tweeters are soft dome ?
The switch may be connected to a cap that is dead.

How does it sound.
If it has all working and not anything lacking per se, I'd worry about the switch when you are doing something else in the crossover.

3 way with soft dome tweeter - try comparing it to others like it, polk audio and others that were that way. That should give you a reference for how these compare. Then decide if you want to modify/re build the XO or other stuff.

Just enjoy your rare pair of speakers.

Cool.
Srinath.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back