NAD C320 not turning ON

changed couple of thyristor, Relay & Op amp in protection circuit along with some caps which were not matching to factory specifications

Yes, this was an amp that was worked on before. Earlier techs may not have used temperature controlled soldering. NAD amplifier PCBs tend to be very delicate and are easily damaged. Another common issue is breaks in the circuit caused by microscopic aberrations on the PCB. I checked all the PCBs in the amp, inside out under a magnifying glass, using a spot lamp and noticed some breaks here and there, had these repaired. Then started with the PSU board, this had been recapped with high quality caps but I did not want to take a chance so re-soldered the entire board properly. With the experience from an earlier NAD restoration job, thought I'll check the thyristors for performance, so took them out and built a little circuit based on the one below:
Perfect-SCR-tester-circuit.jpg
Did a probability test for each thyristor, ideally when sw1 is engaged, the thyristor should activate and the LED should glow. The LED should remain on even if sw1 is disengaged, until sw2 is disengaged and the circuit reset. Did this test 100 times for each thyristor and the LED glowing retention after disengaging sw1 was 41 for the first thyristor and 78 for the second thyristor, when ideally it should have been 100. Hence changed both thyristors. Fixes are usually tricky if the components do not fail completely and are functioning intermittently. These suspects are better tested outside the mother circuit. This is an important lesson which I learnt from my father's electronics expertise.

Now that we had a 100% working PSU board, I turned my attention to the main PCB. I noticed that the amp had been worked on previously and some key components were previously replaced, including the speaker relay. After running a comprehensive check and fixing a few PCB breaks in circuit, started with the output stage and worked my way backwards. An immediate suspect was the speaker relay. The relay on the PCB was not an original NAD relay, but a Chinese DPST replacement. Electrically, the relay checked ok and appeared to be click-switching, but on careful examination, I noticed that the resistance of the relay coil was measuring only 10 ohms, whereas the actual resistance should be in the range of 1.2k. This indicated an obvious short in the relay coil. I had two high quality DPDT mono block relays with me, gold plated and heavy duty, more like the types used in washing machines, etc. I replaced the NAD relay with these mono blocks by wiring only the relevant parts of each relay. Of course, this was a magnificent fix as these relays were high quality ones and would have lasted forever. I had mentioned this to FM Jmascreen in my regular updates but then noticed that almost immediately thereafter, most of our conversations started featuring the speaker relay. I felt he was not comfortable with Mono Block relays replacing the original relay type while I knew that these were a great replacement. However I was also sensitive to the owner side of the story and meanwhile by brother asked for the relays anyways, for his Luxman amp, hence I eventually removed these Mono Blocks and used a replacement relay, matching the specs of the original NAD speaker relay. Then turned my attention to eventually checking all the transistors in the amplifier section, and found all of them to be good. Also did a comprehensive check on the capacitor values on the board and noticed a few of them did not match those mentioned in the service manual. Replaced these with the original value electrolytics. Then moved to the protection circuitry which was not easy. Nad PCB designs are usually done in such a way that parts of the protection circuitry are spread all over the main PCB and some even in the PCB mounted behind the faceplate. After a lot of tracing and checking, noted that the protection switch, C1237HA was not functioning properly. Again, I had a Chinese speaker protection PCB available so I was able to take this IC out of the NAD PCB, put it in the Chinese PCB and test it. By this way, I easily found out that the NAD's C1237HA had to be replaced. The Chinese PCB looks similar to this one:
DC2.JPG
After changing this IC, I also checked the dual OP amp, TL082CP, noticed that it too was showing some abnormal pin voltages, especially on pins 1 and 7, took this out, soldered a 8-pin IC socket into the board and then plugged in a replacement. IC sockets are quite handy as they often accord the user with the privilege of changing ICs without having to de-solder and solder. Also changed some key filter caps and a few capacitors and a zener in the protection circuit and tested the amp. It fired and started singing immediately. I then noticed that a 1k resistor in the volume motor control regulator circuit was completely blackened and running hot. This is normal for NAD amps, so I just upgraded the existing 1/4 watt resistor to a 1.5 watt resistor for improving tolerance. Did a complete check on bias and calibrated the same with a few checks and changes, also calibrated the idle current and dc off set for both channels using NAD's factory specs for the C320. Finally noticed that the volume motor was not functioning and traced this down to a blown C1015 transistor in the motor speed control circuit, replaced this and the volume motor was functional again. Did some mandatory checks to see if the protection kicked in, when the amp was exposed to the relevant circumstances and got positive results for each test. After all this, ran the amp for 500 hours, day and night playing a high volumes as well as at low volumes. Did some minor servicing on the soft clipping switch to get it to work, checked complete functionality using both remote and manual operation, cleaned all the input sockets, tightened up all the screws, removed some dents from the top cover, screwed it all up and shipped it back. I hope FM jmascreen enjoys this amplifier for many years to come.

Excellent experience shared and hats off to Reubensm who went the extra mile in resolving FM challenge....a true example of collaboration and trust!

Its always a pleasure to help. I know when it comes to these things, budgets and expertise always play a major part. This limits the options of many, to a great extent. Hence I provide my services to absolutely anyone who needs it, be it construction or restoration. The only consideration being, you have to reach the equipment to me, and also be sensitive to the fact that I am part of the senior leadership of a big-4 professional services organization, hence quick turn around may not be possible. Repairs and restoration is my hobby, not my profession :)

By the way, I must also thank FM Simon_Wires who sent me a huge pile of amplifier spare parts which I make full use of.

This is huge.

Yes, this was an amp that was worked on before. Earlier techs may not have used temperature controlled soldering. NAD amplifier PCBs tend to be very delicate and are easily damaged. Another common issue is breaks in the circuit caused by microscopic aberrations on the PCB. I checked all the PCBs in the amp, inside out under a magnifying glass, using a spot lamp and noticed some breaks here and there, had these repaired. Then started with the PSU board, this had been recapped with high quality caps but I did not want to take a chance so re-soldered the entire board properly. With the experience from an earlier NAD restoration job, thought I'll check the thyristors for performance, so took them out and built a little circuit based on the one below:
View attachment 25409
Did a probability test for each thyristor, ideally when sw1 is engaged, the thyristor should activate and the LED should glow. The LED should remain on even if sw1 is disengaged, until sw2 is disengaged and the circuit reset. Did this test 100 times for each thyristor and the LED glowing retention after disengaging sw1 was 41 for the first thyristor and 78 for the second thyristor, when ideally it should have been 100. Hence changed both thyristors. Fixes are usually tricky if the components do not fail completely and are functioning intermittently. These suspects are better tested outside the mother circuit. This is an important lesson which I learnt from my father's electronics expertise.

Now that we had a 100% working PSU board, I turned my attention to the main PCB. I noticed that the amp had been worked on previously and some key components were previously replaced, including the speaker relay. After running a comprehensive check and fixing a few PCB breaks in circuit, started with the output stage and worked my way backwards. An immediate suspect was the speaker relay. The relay on the PCB was not an original NAD relay, but a Chinese DPST replacement. Electrically, the relay checked ok and appeared to be click-switching, but on careful examination, I noticed that the resistance of the relay coil was measuring only 10 ohms, whereas the actual resistance should be in the range of 1.2k. This indicated an obvious short in the relay coil. I had two high quality DPDT mono block relays with me, gold plated and heavy duty, more like the types used in washing machines, etc. I replaced the NAD relay with these mono blocks by wiring only the relevant parts of each relay. Of course, this was a magnificent fix as these relays were high quality ones and would have lasted forever. I had mentioned this to FM Jmascreen in my regular updates but then noticed that almost immediately thereafter, most of our conversations started featuring the speaker relay. I felt he was not comfortable with Mono Block relays replacing the original relay type while I knew that these were a great replacement. However I was also sensitive to the owner side of the story and meanwhile by brother asked for the relays anyways, for his Luxman amp, hence I eventually removed these Mono Blocks and used a replacement relay, matching the specs of the original NAD speaker relay. Then turned my attention to eventually checking all the transistors in the amplifier section, and found all of them to be good. Also did a comprehensive check on the capacitor values on the board and noticed a few of them did not match those mentioned in the service manual. Replaced these with the original value electrolytics. Then moved to the protection circuitry which was not easy. Nad PCB designs are usually done in such a way that parts of the protection circuitry are spread all over the main PCB and some even in the PCB mounted behind the faceplate. After a lot of tracing and checking, noted that the protection switch, C1237HA was not functioning properly. Again, I had a Chinese speaker protection PCB available so I was able to take this IC out of the NAD PCB, put it in the Chinese PCB and test it. By this way, I easily found out that the NAD's C1237HA had to be replaced. The Chinese PCB looks similar to this one:
View attachment 25410
After changing this IC, I also checked the dual OP amp, TL082CP, noticed that it too was showing some abnormal pin voltages, especially on pins 1 and 7, took this out, soldered a 8-pin IC socket into the board and then plugged in a replacement. IC sockets are quite handy as they often accord the user with the privilege of changing ICs without having to de-solder and solder. Also changed some key filter caps and a few capacitors and a zener in the protection circuit and tested the amp. It fired and started singing immediately. I then noticed that a 1k resistor in the volume motor control regulator circuit was completely blackened and running hot. This is normal for NAD amps, so I just upgraded the existing 1/4 watt resistor to a 1.5 watt resistor for improving tolerance. Did a complete check on bias and calibrated the same with a few checks and changes, also calibrated the idle current and dc off set for both channels using NAD's factory specs for the C320. Finally noticed that the volume motor was not functioning and traced this down to a blown C1015 transistor in the motor speed control circuit, replaced this and the volume motor was functional again. Did some mandatory checks to see if the protection kicked in, when the amp was exposed to the relevant circumstances and got positive results for each test. After all this, ran the amp for 500 hours, day and night playing a high volumes as well as at low volumes. Did some minor servicing on the soft clipping switch to get it to work, checked complete functionality using both remote and manual operation, cleaned all the input sockets, tightened up all the screws, removed some dents from the top cover, screwed it all up and shipped it back. I hope FM jmascreen enjoys this amplifier for many years to come.

In my case I was able to deliver because I was traveling to a nearby location.
Packing and sending it was beyond my capacity and the amp could been rusted in coming years :)
Also missed to update the packing which was done while sending it back was way beyond any professional packers. It too me 2 hour or more to unpack it

Its always a pleasure to help. I know when it comes to these things, budgets and expertise always play a major part. This limits the options of many, to a great extent. Hence I provide my services to absolutely anyone who needs it, be it construction or restoration. The only consideration being, you have to reach the equipment to me, and also be sensitive to the fact that I am part of the senior leadership of a big-4 professional services organization, hence quick turn around may not be possible. Repairs and restoration is my hobby, not my profession :)

By the way, I must also thank FM Simon_Wires who sent me a huge pile of amplifier spare parts which I make full use of.

the NAD C320 (and its subsequent series) is one of NAD's most relevant and popular NAD integrated amplifiers. There are quite a few appearing on olx from time to time and there are many FMs who may aspire to own one at some point. Some reviews on the sound signature of your amplifier and your experience and adventures while listening to it, would really be of great help :)

Now the NAD is my primary system. Compare to all other amp in my arsenal this is the most musical of them. Yesterday I was listening to HELL FREEZE OVER BY THE EAGLES, hotel California sounded way different from my other amps the guitars were felt very real and the low frequency was very tight and punch.
So to summerise the sound signature it's very musical, warm and one can go one listening hours after hours

Congratulations both Reuben and jmacsreen. I initially opened this Amp but could not follow it later due to some personal issues. Later I learned that whole part and transformer story which NAD technician did.
But what ends good is always good.
Now enjoy it. ! Cheers.

Thanks OM but honestly, if this amp came to me earlier, I would not have touched the tranny :)
Yes, Reuben. You are correct. First I was wondering what made him to touch transformer. It was well within specs. Initially I reduced bias and tested with load. What I observed was, during cold start, bias was changing with time and output offset used to increase or settle after some time. One guess was - That should have been around biasing circuit, but after few PS caps, I stopped for later part.
Then so called NAD mechanic took it to all possible conclusions like transformer etc.

I still not able to understand what the fuss with the transformer, that person told its way higher than specs so I got it rewind from toro trans Pune. After all attempts I thought its gone forever, happy to have it singing

Yes, dont worry about the transformer and all. I belong to the school of thought who believes unless one is a chef, one really should not worry about the ingredients and process involved in cooking, one should just eat and enjoy :)

Nevertheless for the benefit of FMs who are technically inclined (and interested), I usually check transformer performance in 2 circumstances, one without load and without connecting it to the circuit and secondly under load conditions. If one studies NAD PSU design in general, their approach is slightly different from other manufacturers which is, the famous dual mode design. What that means to the layman is that the feed to the output and driver transistors is loosely regulated and hence, this feed is key to providing that hidden punch and back up range of power, NAD amplifiers are famous for. Also this design element can provide large currents at lower voltage ranges when the amplifier is driving low impedance speaker loads, sometimes as low as 2 ohms. A separate rectifier feeds a regulated PSU module, which feeds the pre-amplification stages. This is the secret behind NAD's PSU design philosophy. The regular shop mechanic will not know this design element and at times, would say that the PSU is overfeeding the output and driver stages. On the other hand, those familiar will know that this is usually the reason why NAD amplifiers can drive most types of speakers and seem to sound more powerful than they actually are. This was the brilliance in Bjorn Erik Edvardsen's designs for NAD. Also the dual mode powersupply is said to enhance stereo imaging due to less blurring caused by variations in the amount of power fed to the preamplification stages as the power stages draw more from the PSU.

On another note, my opinion on which was better, the original NAD transformer or the rewound one, does not matter at all as the user is enjoying his amplifier. So I choose to leave it at that and move on :)

Last edited:
Hey guys,
bumping this thread,

facing similar issue on my friends 320bee, music would just stop playing after sometime.
Location is Pune,would be great help if some trusted technician

Hey guys,
bumping this thread,

facing similar issue on my friends 320bee, music would just stop playing after sometime.
Location is Pune,would be great help if some trusted technician
The standby situation may be due to many reasons, most commonly power supply cap failure. The person who is attempting the repair job should have experience with NAD repair and especially knowledge of these stand-by issues. The person should also spend time and check the amp thoroughly as partial or quick fixes can result in the issure reccuring.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back