NAD PP2 or Azur 640P

hi rajiv,

ok so let me get this straight please correct me if wrong!

5AR4 = GZ 34

5V4G or 5Z4G = GZ 32

5Z4G = GZ 30

now since viren runs the tubes conservatively i can use any of the GZs - 30, 32 or 34 in either the phono or 2A3 SET amp? or any of the 5 equivalents in phono and SET amp?

thanks!

Hi Steven,

5AR4=GZ34

5v4g=gz32

5Z4G=GZ30 ; 5Z4G is not = GZ32.

You can use the GZ32 and GZ34 without any problem in both the Phono stage and 2A3 amp.

I would check with Viren before using the 5Z4G/GZ30 it in the 2A3 amp.

Regards
Rajiv

thanks rajiv.

one last clarification. i could use a GZ30 in the phono, it being an equivalent for the 5Z4G?

one other thing that's puzzling me. if i remember right, you preferred the 5V4G in the SET amp over the GZ34 so logically you ought to prefer the 5 series rectifier in the phono too over the GZ, but you prefer the GZ32.

is it cos the GZ in the SET was a BEL and the GZ in the phono is a philips miniwatt?

regards

Hi Steven,

Yes, you can use the GZ30 in the phono stage.

I like the tonality of the 5V4G in the 2A3 amp.It is slightly more airy at the top and has better separation and soundstage in my system.

The fun thing about tubes is that you can try so many combinations/brands of tubes to subtly change the sound till you find the sonic presentation you like.

I did try using a 5V4G in the phono stage but in my system I prefer the overall sonic presentation with the GZ32 in the phono stage .The changes in sound using different tubes is not dramatic only extended listening will show differences, and they will be subtle in nature - the manner of presentation of the music, tonal textures, presence, and so on.

I also share Viren's view
"that good reproduction does not jump out at you, or "wow" you. That only happens when things are skewed. Good reproduction just presents music as a whole. You sink into it as you listen more."

You could try your GZ32 in the 2A3 and see if you like it .

Regards
Rajiv

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back