Naim & Rega CD Players

ALS

I request for your opinions on Naim 5i & Rega Apollo CD players.
How you characterise the sound quality?
I read that Naims will sound best with Naim electronics!
Is Rega Apollo betters Arcams FMJ17 & Cyrus CD8SE?.
The CD player is for the combo Plinius9200 + Totem Forest.
Besides Tonality & liveliness, PRAT is too imp. Any other suggestions less than 1L?

Whos the dealer for Rega in India? I read, its Lifestyle Audio & Video, Pune.
Does any one has their contact #?

Thanks,

Hi:

Actually, both are excellent CD players for the money. IMO, Naim is more about rhythm, timing, little upfront, and very musical. And yes, as you said, Naim hand-shakes well with it's own family well, so care must be taken that you match a Naim cdp with a warm amp for that synergy.

Regarding the Apollo, yes it's far better than the FMJ17, but no idea if it's a winner against the Cyrus.

The CD player is for the combo Plinius9200 + Totem Forest.

I guess the 9200 is upfront too and a good match for the smooth Forest, so IMO a Naim CDp might not do good for your ears or your other equipments. So, in the above scenario, my choice would be the excellent Apollo.

But, all my opinions could be wrong, if you like otherwise after your audition.

:)

Hi
A suggestion is Ayon CD-7, I cant tell you how it compared to the other two, however as a player when we have it in a couple of weeks in our possession I can give you an idea. Over the Naim though, I would go for the Rega, but preferably the Saturn if you can swing it

cheers

Hi ALS..Long time.

Why are you not considering the Plinius CDP ? (Can use the same remote ;) )

I would strongly recommend you try the Ayre 7 or 5 they must be the most VFM..else Arcam FMJ is what I woudl rate over the Apollo. Cyrus is not too bad but looks too small/light for a CDP ! and i believe you get the best out of it only with their PSU which is $$$

Last edited:
i would say cyrus with cyrus,naim with naim,but rega and arcam would pare well with more or less everything.rega is supposed to have some reliability issues (i have been told) stops reading cd's after a while.so i guess arcam is the safest bet.....
ayon would be marvelous but then a rega apollo is 1200 SGD in singapore--35K while even an entry level ayon would be 100K or more.....
i had rung up lifestyle audio almost 10 days back for rega apollo.....no response!

Dear vinod david> your guessing are right & also Ive to agree with you on Naim CDPs.

Dear odyssey> Ayon CDPs ve rave reviews. Though Ive not listened to them yet, found that they are surprisingly punchy like solid states. Its interesting, I like to ve a demo.

Hi Arj> Yes, away for some time from troubling the eqmnts:D Now, bitten by bugs cant keep quit:lol: I couldnt source the Plini CDP. Preferred well maintained used one (since new is expensive). As said Ayre wouldve been a best bet, but didnt get the right deal. Actually, my intension was to go for an high-end DAC & using PC as source. But, for now, decided to settle for a single box soln. Wanted to try Arcam FMJs, but couldnt get a chance. I found, Rega CDPs ve some play back issues, Im afraid to invest on it. Apollos SIN price is SGD1200/=, this wouldve been one best inexpensive soln. Now, thinking of trying Arcam or Ayon CDP.

Dear ajay> as you said, normally Arcams will gel well with other electronics. Matching would be an issue. I didn't like the looks of Cyrus.

Thanks,
Als

Am only assuming what your amp/speaker combo sounds like though I have only heard both components seperately.
Try the Simaudio cdps something like the 5.3 or a safe (cheaper ) bet is the Arcam FMJ 37. A smoother alternative could be the Marantz SA 11S2 if u like that sound (I know I do) Plus is SACD playback and solid build.
Rega/Naim/Cyrus not my cup of tea but out of the three If I must then Rega but then the quirky software issues which I presume are resolved in the current generation of cdps.
U mention Singapore prices. If buying from sgpore look for used Accuphase. Worth the money.
Rgds

Hi
A suggestion is Ayon CD-7, I cant tell you how it compared to the other two, however as a player when we have it in a couple of weeks in our possession I can give you an idea....
cheers

I dont think its a good idea to suggest a component without having listened to it in the first place??? Nothing against Ayon they are great sounding (based on a short audition) but it does not set a good precedent on the quality of suggestion if one has not heard it at all.

Hi square, yes back after a long gap:). Ayons 've good reviews, but I've not listened to them so far. Somewhere I read, Ayons are copy of Raysonic, but I'm not sure. I also noticed, Ayon CDPs coming up on sale in Audiogon. Anyway, I like to give a try before I buy. I tried Nad, Marantz CD17MkIII, Cayin CD17T, PS Audio transport/DAC (some old model). Each was sounding good & different, but not to my taste. I wished to go for Plinius CD101 (easy match for 9200!!) or Ayre CX7e, but I couldn't. Wish to try BMC DAC when Jochen get it. Pl drop in, I've made a dedicated AV room - for music & HT.

Marsilians> Sridhar had Ayon CD-2 & may be familier with its house sound, but he has not listened to CD-7 yet. CD-7 is their entry level player with some added feature. When cost control comes in to pic, one can't guess the sound quality unless he listen to it.

Dinyaar> the combo sounds soft & balanced & it's big sound:), I liked it. I listen to all kind of music, MSS to Diana/Patricia, BMK to Mark Knoopler etc etc though like more of classic/progressive rock, pop etc. I'm looking for a source which is little lively, so that it can match with (little) soft sounding Plinius.

Thanks,

Hi ALS,

Best of luck in your hunt. Will try and drop in one of these days.

I forgot BMC. Looks very promising. The designer is a maverik and very well respected.

Cheers,
Square.

Hi Square, BMC looks very promising & ve good reviews on German sites. Jochen who had come home strongly suggesting me to go for them - Amp or, DAC/transport or CDP etc. I saw the internal pics, built like heavy tanks. I would like to listen to them once he gets it in B'lore. Hunt is not very serious, something good comes in my way, I'll grab it:)

I agree as well..read through some of their stuff..looks like a crowd pleaser if I ever saw one..Definitely worth a look Sudarshan Sir. :)

Hi Sachi, by not only looking at the construction, after going thru' some readings & discussions with Jochen, I'm so....tempted to try them & even thought of ordering their DAC, which might cost INR1.5L+
Hey, I came to know that, you were in India, B'lore & visited Vinny & "Dr"-"AB"-Pani etc. I couldn't catch you up, though I stay close by to them, I'm extremely sorry Sachi. Had hectic travelling & work schedules. Tnks // Sudarshan

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back