Naim Tea Party with EposM12i/Spendor A6/Krypton K100B & Amphion Helium 410 Speakers

Re: Naim Tea Party with EposM12i/Spendor A6/Krypton K100B & Amphion Helium 410 Speake

No ... No way i am offended Denom , i was rather surprised and trying to reason out why it sounded dry, also worried as we are getting the xs2 now .

I never had any owner bias for any of the products that i owned now/ before. I am the first critic to what i own , and if i dont like something , move on from it , no matter how popular is that from general opinion.

What i learned in Audio products is that there is nothing best in absolute terms alteast in the entry/mid segment. I learned to live with the trade-off/compromise , In splendors I am happy to trade-off the low-level dynamics with the mid/high performance and tonal qualities of spendors

Good to hear that.
As long as you are happy, thats all that counts.
Interesting to note that you & FM ilar are going for same Naim Model.
Best wishes to both.

Re: Naim Tea Party with EposM12i/Spendor A6/Krypton K100B & Amphion Helium 410 Speake

Thanks .

FM Raman ( ilaya) is my friend and we are getting only one XS2 not two !!

Mpw, neither here nor there approach??? Why this kolaveri???:p
===================================================

denom,

there is no kolaveri except the possible realization that we listen to speakers "expecting " something and when that "something" doesnt immediately materialize we get disappointed. ( That room was full of about 6 FM's expecting great things - as many had read rave reviews of the A6 )

Thats human nature.

From the amphion 410 - it was the reverse case - we expected nothing - even sneered at its small form factor and when it sang.. it sang..

:lol:

Here again people tend to magnify what they see as they did not expect to see anything in the first place.

If i am philosophical - sorry - i dont mean to impose these things but many times human expectations play an important role in the product selection and i assume this is a lesson well imbibed by good marketeers.

I was reading an article about the harbeth P3ESR - John Darko - i think - where the title was "Never meet your heroes" and guess why ???

In the flesh.. our heroes may not be what we assume them to be..

hey.. this seems to be OT and maybe for another cold green tea.

mpw
==============================================

===================================================

denom,

there is no kolaveri except the possible realization that we listen to speakers "expecting " something and when that "something" doesnt immediately materialize we get disappointed. ( That room was full of about 6 FM's expecting great things - as many had read rave reviews of the A6 )

Thats human nature.

From the amphion 410 - it was the reverse case - we expected nothing - even sneered at its small form factor and when it sang.. it sang..

:lol:

Here again people tend to magnify what they see as they did not expect to see anything in the first place.

If i am philosophical - sorry - i dont mean to impose these things but many times human expectations play an important role in the product selection and i assume this is a lesson well imbibed by good marketeers.

I was reading an article about the harbeth P3ESR - John Darko - i think - where the title was "Never meet your heroes" and guess why ???

In the flesh.. our heroes may not be what we assume them to be..

hey.. this seems to be OT and maybe for another cold green tea.

mpw
==============================================

But, I had come with no expectations of the Spendors & had already been aware of what the small 410's could do(Ref: Pune Meet) :p

Cold Green Tea is always welcome :licklips:

Just came across this write-up, interesting point this. I suspect this is a common trait among the Spendors. I've heard the A5 and S5e's. Of course, everyone has his own opinions, but thought should share this.

With the S 83, there's swing, energy and foundation to the music to sound a lot better. The other end of the scale, the treble, is equally to my liking. Surprised? Rumors would have it that Spendors and refined trebles don't go together. Granted, I'm not one of the prick-eared jocks who observe chalk board attacks without flinching and call that resolution. My ground rule for the upper octaves is simple. Spare my nerves. Only then and not sooner may one proceed with more. A good ribbon does bring more than Spendor's fabric dome, no doubt. Will it sound as integrated, tonally coherent and seamless as the S 8e though? Rarely. This Spendor two-way is dialed for balance and tonal integration. The S 8e avoids FX like the plague to render 10-minute quickie auditions useless. Don't judge a marathon runner at hundred meters.

Or listen to two different speakers an hour a piece. The one you want to crank up afterwards is the one. Guess which one I'd bank on? Where did I leave off? Treble.

Spendors of course are famed for excellent mids and the S 8e delivers in spades. But let me repeat: it's notspectaculous. Thank gawd. Especially in the midrange, Spendor values realism. Thus piano, guitar, vocals, woodwinds and whatnot simply sound authentic and natural, neither too sharp nor too dull, neither too upfront nor laid back, with a matte and not intense gloss, not overly present. Such a high-wire act refrains from being pinned down by hifi superlatives but makes for long-term satisfaction with a loudspeaker.

6moons audio reviews: Spendor S 8e

Last edited:

Thanks for sharing it , Nice write-up good review .

It is fun to read , especially the resolution , lol visualizing a guy seriously listening to harsh sound and turn back and call that resolution :)

This is the thing about the professional reviewers , look at the analogy and the usage of the language - Don't judge a Marathon runner at 100 meter . They have a unique way of conveying the message , talk more about ability to convey the music than with the check-points.

Interestin experience and point of view, ilar. As a person with high-end hearing problems, I certainly like there to be plenty there, but the double edge of the hearing-loss sword (gets you both ways) is that even quite pure high tones can sound harsh and be quite painful to listen to.

That is sad Thad , what is more suitable to you now , just curious , may need it later :)

Interestin experience and point of view, ilar. As a person with high-end hearing problems, I certainly like there to be plenty there, but the double edge of the hearing-loss sword (gets you both ways) is that even quite pure high tones can sound harsh and be quite painful to listen to.

i can easily live with a rolled off high freq..but a rolled of low freq makes music very Insipid for me...and anyway usually extended High Freq including supertweeters give me a slight headache !!!

so maybe i also do have a hearing problem..but since that is making music sound better am at peace :lol:

Lucky man! And long may you be at peace :) But what you miss, with HF roll-off is stuff like cymbal shimmer, not to mention what we hifi people like to call "air." The huge majority of music is in frequency ranges that I can still hear perfectly well, except I need a little boost to vocals

That is sad Thad , what is more suitable to you now , just curious , may need it later :)

Well, I don't know. Since I got my new ifi iCAN 'phone amp, I am finding that I need to boost the highs (using EQ) much less than before, if at all. Just shows what a hp amp can do!

http://www.hifivision.com/sale-owner/50495-spendor-s5e-speakers.html

Post #2

Sadly our friend still can't digest the fact that we called spendors ( a different model than his, mind you) as dry :p
It rankles him so very much that he sold them!!!

So very interesting :cool:

Having heard the speakers on sale, I would agree with him - no way can they be called dry. Dont know how the compare to other models in the Spendor lineup though

Having heard the speakers on sale, I would agree with him - no way can they be called dry. Dont know how the compare to other models in the Spendor lineup though

Jai, pls realise that no where have we discussed about his speaker model in this thread, so why should he feel so upset about it??? :confused:

The Spendors are anything but dry (whatever that means)... They have a very warm sound with lovely mids...

Can't understand why Denom would think the owner is selling them because of what he thinks...Even more perplexing is the fact that he wants to tell us that the owner is selling because Denom called it Dry...

Weird post...

This is what is known as 'branding' in marketing terms. THE 'brand' can never have any wrong offerings, no matter what the model! The entire 'brand' faces rejection, if ...

http://www.hifivision.com/sale-owner/50495-spendor-s5e-speakers.html

Post #2

Sadly our friend still can't digest the fact that we called spendors ( a different model than his, mind you) as dry :p
It rankles him so very much that he sold them!!!

So very interesting :cool:

I also know another thread about Amphion - a mere comparison of it with Harbeth rankles you so much so that the the thread itself was deleted permanently :) .
That proves there is no credibility in the claim , so just ignore these . BTW , I pay attention to the view of the real users who invest and listen/live with the speakers . Not just someone who does 30 mins audition :eek:hyeah:

I know this will be also deleted . But i don't care :yahoo:

The Spendors are anything but dry (whatever that means)... They have a very warm sound with lovely mids...

Can't understand why Denom would think the owner is selling them because of what he thinks...Even more perplexing is the fact that he wants to tell us that the owner is selling because Denom called it Dry...

Weird post...

Pls read his sale thread, post no.2, it makes direct reference to this thread, now what does that say? what is he trying to say??? I myself cannot understand why he is holding a grudge against my comment in this thread, especially since his model of speaker is NOT the Spendor model written about in this thread! Go figure :eek:hyeah:

panditji,

dry as in = dull / un-involving / boring / lifeless ( see post 1 )

That was the view most took that day.

anyways it was the combo of naim + spendor a6 and thats nothing to do with the brand spendor or the brand naim.

as i see it.. there is happiness for the former spendor s5e user who invested and listened and lived with the s5e decided to dispose it of and also bewilderment that the disposal happened so soon. There could have been many moons full of enjoyment.

anyways.. to each his / her own.

There was no need to rake the past in the sale post and that has been addressed.

It took 30 mins for us to see that the naim spendor a6 combo was no hoper. But it took a longer time to buy it, have it and then sell it.

Thats all.

mpw

Why is the disposal of EposM12i did not happen soon with multiple attempt when especially it was so much better than Spendor .

Why is that Amphion was not even on your wish-list when you get so much better compared to all other speakers

That tells us something

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back