Nakamichi 1000- the deck to die for

when ever I tried playing the tape, the player would stop before the spool could get caught in the player (Nak has that facility).

Hi.. Can you elaborate little more about your problem?

I understood as below.. correct me if wrong.

When ever you are loading cassette and press PLAY the spool just start and stops immediately correct? If yes just try this Press first "PAUSE" then after a second delay press "PLAY" button.

Hi.. Can you elaborate little more about your problem?

I understood as below.. correct me if wrong.

When ever you are loading cassette and press PLAY the spool just start and stops immediately correct? If yes just try this Press first "PAUSE" then after a second delay press "PLAY" button.
Yup, basically the Nak deck has a function that stops a tape immeaditely before the reel can be chewed up. Ok will try this out too!

Sir, if I am not wrong, George's contact would be Philip from Lizzner Audio and Sandesh has already paid him a visit in the past I think.

That's correct. Philip refused to touch the deck and said he couldnt give me an assurance that it could be repaired. He also mentioned that he was not sure how long it would take if tried opening it up too. :sad:

So I just decided to not give it to him and find another alternative (which I havent found till date)

Sandesh,
If you can pack it and courier it to me, I can ask my man if he can service it and rectify. But you will have to sent it to me.

Sandesh,
If you can pack it and courier it to me, I can ask my man if he can service it and rectify. But you will have to sent it to me.
Mr. Kuruvila, I will bring the sets during the vinyl meet via car as I feel it will be a lot safer than courier. What do you feel?

After several weeks of running after painters, screen printers and others, I finally manage to get my Nak 1000 fully restored to it's past glory in looks and as always it sounds amazing as they are supposed to perform. I almost cried when I received the Deck. It was in very very pathetic condition. Rueben will vouch for it. It's been one of my most satisfying recovery efforts. I am now playing a cassette by the group 'America' and it reminds me of my early listening days. I remember getting up at 3 AM to hear the song 'Horse with no name' on BBC Pop Club repeat program. That's how crazy I used to be in my college days. Now for some pics of the restored Nak 1000

Last edited:
Amazing to note how this deck has been restored and even more amazing to note that prior to Mr. Kuruvila, someone in India did own this legend.

I was lying in bed doing almost nothing over the last 2 or so days. A good time to be away from work and a good time to think up some stuff. I decided to play some tapes. Connected up the DR3 and played it through my 3020 with the tone controls in flat position. It sounded so good, never heard it like that before. I've always played it with the tone controls turned up. At times I felt I was at Mr. Kuruvila's listening to his 1000 play. These Nak decks are real beauties.

Never got a chance to listen to Rueben's DR 3 when I was there. Hope to listen to it the next time i am going there. My brother has got a DR 10 and it is superb .

Mr Kuruvila, What was the actual damage of the Nak 1000? And how does your repair guy source parts? Does he use Indian spares or the original spares?

Never got a chance to listen to Rueben's DR 3 when I was there. Hope to listen to it the next time i am going there. My brother has got a DR 10 and it is superb .

Yes. DR 10 is a nice sounding deck. But for my ears it sound is like a CD player sound. Did you felt this? My Yamaha sound is close to vinyl sound.

Can you compare the sound of DR-10 with your NAK 1000?:licklips:

I have often found my DR3 sounding much better than my Marantz CD63 SE and wondered why cds came out in the first place when tape could sound so good. The answer to me was obvious, to get tapes to sound like this, one had to pay a hefty price. Naks were very expensive. I am told that the original owner of my DR3 paid about 70k (INR) odd when he purchased it new.

Mr Kuruvila, What was the actual damage of the Nak 1000? And how does your repair guy source parts? Does he use Indian spares or the original spares?

The damage was mostly on the exterior . Fortunately, the Nak 1000 has 4 protective bars on the four corners and these took all the damage protecting the internal parts. I did not replace any parts except the belts. Fortunaely, I got the belts from a friend .

Yes. DR 10 is a nice sounding deck. But for my ears it sound is like a CD player sound. Did you felt this? My Yamaha sound is close to vinyl sound.

Can you compare the sound of DR-10 with your NAK 1000?:licklips:

The DR 10 will not come any where near Nak 1000 . Nak 1000 is the best deck I have heard in my life and no other Naks that I have heard ever sounded like the Nak 1000. Yes, DR-10 is a little clinical sounding but very clean while Nak 1000 appears to deliver a lot more warmth and depth.

In 1984, Dire Straits Brothers In Arms became the first album for which cd sales out-did cassette and LP record sales. This milestone is often considered by many to be the start of the end for Cassette Tapes and LP Records. In the later part of the 1980s, CDs were outselling cassettes even in the portable audio market and cassettes were relegated to the developing world markets.

By the time the NAK DR series arrived in the early 1990s, cassettes were considered to be on the verge of being phased out. The DR10 was the last deck from the great Nakamichi stable. Many gurus say that the DR series was compromised by NAK to keep costs down. There are many theories about the DR series being inferior to other earlier NAK models but from my experience, the DR3 is one of the best 2-head decks ever from the NAK stable. It could easily match or outsmart many 3-head cassette decks of those times. However, there were a few NAK models that were very special and ahead of the rest. The 1000 is one of these. Hence the DR series may be good, but it definitely cannot match the 1000. The debate of the 1000 vs the Dragon would be a more on-par one.

can u upload a pic of that NAK 1000 you're talking about plz I would love to see the original pic

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
can u upload a pic of that NAK 1000 you're talking about plz I would love to see the original pic

Yes, I will upload the pictures before restoration and after restoration so you can see the transformation of such a jewel . I am sure many such Jewels may be lying around. Restoration is one of my favorite hobbies. Sometimes it is frustrating and time consuming and will test ones patience to the limit, but the end results are sheer joy.View attachment 15050 It was given to a mechanic where I could not park my car, so I had to bring it on my 1988 model Kinetic Honda Scooter.

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back