Naming and Shaming Sellers who are cheats

Status
Not open for further replies.

G401fan

To the Moderators:

I've had a recent bad experience with the 'For Sale' section where the seller sold me an item that was defective and 'dead on arrival'. Misrepresentation of provenance, and working condition was clearly intentional. I immediately asked for a refund, but the seller has been fobbing me off over a period of six months, with one excuse after another, even though the sum involved is relatively low. The same FM has since been putting up numerous other items for sale, many of which are still current, presumably awaiting a customer. Clearly scamming other trusting buyers. Since this forum offers no protection to buyers (unlike eBay), nor a rating system for sellers, I seem to have no recourse. Before naming the seller on this forum ( to alert potential buyers ), I would like to know what are the forum rules for such situations.

If there is indeed no protection for buyers, then I would request that every 'For Sale' thread be highlighted with some suitable banner saying that Hifivision holds no liability, and that buyers run their own risk, effectively caveat emptor.

I am also having the same opinion that such incidents if intentional should be a word of caution for others. There should be one dedicated thread and one moderator should be nominated for resolving such issues. Case by case as and when arises and moderator may accept or reject for discussion.

Sir, no point having a moderator trying to resolve such cases... If the intention of the seller is wrong from the beginning then obviously they have no intention of returning the money... And if the goods were damaged while in transit or if the seller forgot to mention a defect, most sellers will automatically refund the money and take the item back...When the intention is wrong, nobody can resolve such a matter....

Buying on this forum or for that matter any other forum, the buyer has to assume the risk or not get into any such transactions especially in our country... It would be better if they ask around on the forum through their friends about the potential seller before transacting or take the risk...

Sir, no point having a moderator trying to resolve such cases... If the intention of the seller is wrong from the beginning then obviously they have no intention of returning the money... And if the goods were damaged while in transit or if the seller forgot to mention a defect, most sellers will automatically refund the money and take the item back...When the intention is wrong, nobody can resolve such a matter....

Buying on this forum or for that matter any other forum, the buyer has to assume the risk or not get into any such transactions especially in our country... It would be better if they ask around on the forum through their friends about the potential seller before transacting or take the risk...
Right that's why I prefer transacting face to face if buying anything from any forum.
Also a sticky thread should be created in which people can post feedback of good as well as bad transactions would be highly helpful for everyone could search the name of the person they are dealing with and look at their track record if any. That's how things on some fb groups (where we transact PS4 games) go about. It's a good practice IMO.

I agree with Dr. Lakshay. There should be a place to provide comments and rating. In the interim we should be using this thread to warn others.

I do not think that primary or secondary goal of hifivision was the classifieds section. and in no ways should hifivison be part of this. It is and should always be the responsibility of the buyer to do their research, ask for more pictures/videos or ask a friend to go check if the city is different.

If one does run into problems they can perhaps name the seller and give a chance to the seller to explain, but in no way is it binding on anyone, the post should only serve as a fair warning to future potential buyers. More like a dedicated thread to discuss buyers/sellers remorse/gratitude. where all can come and check if anyone has had a bad or good experience and then take an informed decision

To the Moderators:

I've had a recent bad experience with the 'For Sale' section where the seller sold me an item that was defective and 'dead on arrival'. Misrepresentation of provenance, and working condition was clearly intentional. I immediately asked for a refund, but the seller has been fobbing me off over a period of six months, with one excuse after another, even though the sum involved is relatively low. The same FM has since been putting up numerous other items for sale, many of which are still current, presumably awaiting a customer. Clearly scamming other trusting buyers. Since this forum offers no protection to buyers (unlike eBay), nor a rating system for sellers, I seem to have no recourse. Before naming the seller on this forum ( to alert potential buyers ), I would like to know what are the forum rules for such situations.

If there is indeed no protection for buyers, then I would request that every 'For Sale' thread be highlighted with some suitable banner saying that Hifivision holds no liability, and that buyers run their own risk, effectively caveat emptor.
As mentioned above share the seller Profile name if you feel like intentional cheater that would be great help for FM

No point of having a thread as people can easily change and create a new profile to transact unless Hifivision wants to attach all profiles with an Aadhaar number ;)

IMO, part of the due diligence every buyer should do is to look at the post history of the account of the seller.

Furthermore, the forum (hifivision) can indeed do several things to protect buyers and sellers. They can add a rule that members can only post in the classified section if their account meets certain criteria - such as, the account should be at least 6 months to 1 year old, the account should have made at least 20 posts etc. I feel that will be a sufficiently painful barrier to scammers. It will also provide an extra layer of safety for genuine members who want to transact.

But I completely agree with you - it is not at all feasible for moderators to do any kind of due diligence on transaction between members in the classified section. This is not an e-commerce platform and not the intent of this site. The site runs on goodwill and positive energy of forum members, not on a commercial payment model. As such, the forum should have additional rules (automated and mod enforced) that ensure that this goodwill and positive energy is maintained so members feel safe.

Just my humble opinion.

Furthermore, the forum (hifivision) can indeed do several things to protect buyers and sellers. They can add a rule that members can only post in the classified section if their account meets certain criteria - such as, the account should be at least 6 months to 1 year old, the account should have made at least 20 posts etc. I feel that will be a sufficiently painful barrier to scammers. It will also provide an extra layer of safety for genuine members who want to transact.
don't we have similar protection already? I tried replying to one thread in sell section but couldn't.

This is very annoying to see happening on the forum. However just to clarify, the For Sale forum does operate on the honor system. But clearly there are people who are taking advantage of the forum. I have been sold some duds recently as well so can share the pain.

OP - please pm a brief description of the issue.

There have been a couple of similar threads recently where the accused party was named. This gives him a chance to give his side of the story and also warns other forum members to be careful.

I've had a recent bad experience with the 'For Sale' section where the seller sold me an item that was defective and 'dead on arrival'.

Yes absolutely name the seller along with a link to the Sale Thread. We need to know both sides of the story. Also, please share the pictures and video you gathered before making the deal and the same pictures after you received the item. That would give a clear Before and After pictures.

MaSh

Buying used will always be a risky venture, where an amp could look pristine in condition, but may have replaced inferior parts. That can not be an easy to detect defect unless you are type to look under the hood. I just wished people were honest at the least on a forum like this where people sell/trade not for a profit. I also wished I had a million dollars. ;)

My frank opinion is not to pressurize the moderators. We all have to learn from our mistakes. Specially when such type of untrustful members operate on our forum, we should be duty bound to our fellow members, to let the cat smell the rat. Please open up so we can hear both side of the story. That will be fair. Best regards

To the Moderators:

Please note that we have clearly mentioned this at https://www.hifivision.com/threads/for-sale-by-owners-rules-and-guidelines.7112/ and https://www.hifivision.com/help/class-rules/

Also as the for sale by members forum is turning to be an irritant. I have no claims about shutting it down.

To the Moderators:

i feel for you..but unfortunately this is a risk in our forum as it works on an informal honor system of whom you can trust .

Status
Not open for further replies.
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back