Native resolutions of Gaming Consoles

heynownow

Hi,

I've been a PC gamer for most of my life, and I have been playing games in near HD (1024 x 768) long before HD became a consumer buzzword. The console world was still on SD (ps, ps2, xbox) . I currently have a decent gaming rig, which I painstakingly assembled myself (along with custom cooling). I hook up my PC sometimes to my Plasma TV and it displays everything and runs all my favorite games at glorious 1920 x 1080 (True 1080p)

Unfortunately PC Gaming, though it has always been ahead of the tech curve is on a decline now, and a lot of titles I wanna play just isn't available on the PC. So I am pondering taking the plunge into console gaming. I want to know whther X360s and PS3s can drive full HD resolutions like my PC or are they restricted to 720p. If thats the case, I would rather wait for the nextgen.

Also have they invented any gizmo that allows to attach a mouse/keybd to a console. I still cannot imagine myself playing FPS games with a controller. Fellow PC gamers would probably agree with me, once you get used to the precision of a gaming mouse (Logi G9 in my case) you just cannot do with a normal mouse, let alone a gamepad.

Hi,
The consoles are capable of playing 1080p, game softwares are mostly 720p, if they can be upscaled the disk cover will mention 1080p compatible, few like gran turismo 5 prologue and gran turismo 5 about to be launched are true 1080p. I have the Xbox 360 and the Ps3 and bout 45 game titles.

Yeah I know the kind of GPU horsepower one needs in the PC world to drive games at 1080p or above (25601600 <drool!>) at acceptable frame rates. Its funny how the same games in PC (Dead Space for eg) plays in fullHD but the console version supports 720p content only. One of the reasons I love PC for games, you can scale up your hardware incrementally (add memory, a better video card, put 2 video cards in SLI etc) unlike consoles where you replace the entire box, that too only possible when the next generation is available.

ps3 can do pure 1080p without a glitch..

i am a pc gamer as well since long.. however loving console gaming as well..

lesser hassles.. and on a big screen with full HD its fun..

but pc rocks any day... i still remember the first game of ea sports (roadrash and now).
things really changed man.. probably we saw the age of evolution of computers..

we might tell our kids..

i stil have my first pc.. runs on dos.. 2 MB ram and wd first hdd 512MB single platter and its big.. i mean its really big..

then came the video games running on crt tvs and we spent hours in summer holidays..
mariop and contra was fav..

pc gaming took over then... now back to same console gaming....

fashion repeats itself.. its true..

soon nvidia is coming with its new chipset .. that gonna be a size of palm.. and it can do 1080p amazingly...

cpu will be close to size of a internet tablet then.. and we go mobile gaming.. connect to monitor /tv.. and enjoy our games..

and processor is the daughter card....

Last edited:
Man.. you come from a rich family. If your 1st HDD was 512 MB. I remember our first PC had no HDD, had a 10 MHz cpu (Intel 8088) and 256 Kb of RAM and a cga display (16 colors) . After nagging the hell out of our dad, my bro and me convinced him to get a 20Mb Seagate 5.25" hard disk, which was HUGE in the days of DOS 4 and GW Basic. . But that still that wasnt our 1st computer. It was a Sinclair ZX Spectrum, read data from a casette player and had a mammoth 16 Kb RAM. I got a acrylic box to preserve the zx and retair a piece of computing history :) I feel lucky to be born in an era being able to witness the evolution of PCs and 3D games from From Wolfenstein 3D to Crysis, Its been one hell of a ride.

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back