NCPA's Western Classical Season

When you find yourself in the thick of it
Help yourself to a bit of what is all around you

And guess what in your post brought up the lines, Staxxx?!

The virtuosity of Dan Zhu's playing dominated yesterday's concert, despite having a melody infused Dvorak's 7th (which, along with the cheerier 8th, I do prefer to the 9th).

Dan Zhu extracted every bit of emotion from the Korngold violin concerto (not one that I am familiar with), which in turn quotes from the composer's film scores. This was followed by a Paganini solo that left the audience slack jawed. To hear something like that on an LP is one thing, but to see it live was an all together special experience. Jete, spicatto, left handed pizzicato while bow was playing - heaven knows what else in terms of techniques!

I have liked Dvoraks 7th ever since the needle first dropped on my Mercury Living Presence LP*. The low sound of timpani, double bass and horns setting up for darkness, before the cello bursts through with the turbulent main melody. This concert was enjoyable, with a focus on lyricism.

*The version that I like for Dvorak 7 and 8 is by Vaclav Neumann on Supraphon. Have to take it to my friend FLs place (big PMCs) to hear the first few notes with clarity. Or torture a non classical loving DC. Those with bookshelves, well you will wonder why that cd is so silent at the beginning for a long time.

Late report of 22nd Sep concert. The performance was the international premiere of Karl Jenkins' new work called The Universe performed by the Symphony Orchestra of India and Living Voice choral group of Mumbai, conducted by the composer himself.

The opening movement "Infinity" was, I guess, trying to convey the Big Bang, which is very much in keeping with the theme of The Universe.

The first few notes of the first movement were totally chaotic, with all the musicians standing up and playing in the dark with just spotlights on. Thankfully this cacophony was short. This is probably a portrayal of the chaotic beginning that we know as the Big Bang, which the mainstream scientific community would have us know is where everything in this universe began. Reminds one of the sudden and impactful beginning of the Dies Irae movement in Verdi's Requiem. I'm highly inclined to believe that that's the inspiration to the beginning of the first movement (which isn't a bad thing at all when one wants scale and impact). Startling, and sure brought in lots of excitement and anticipation for what was to follow in the remaining 13 movements. But the first "dissonant" note was felt when the trombones made their presence felt right after the surprise intro. Trombones are never known to be subtle and together with the bass drum and tympani, and sonically they literally overwhelmed everything else on the stage. This portended the many raucous movements that followed.

I can't remember the names of all the 14 movements but they had names like Infinity, Flying Stars, Sky Dancing, Earth, Baikonour, Moon Walk, via lactea (the Milky Way), Song of Tears, Dies Irae, The Universe, etc.

A few of the movements had very sophisticated and tuneful melodies. Maestro Jenkins surely understands playing around with scales. I thought some of them were fanciful, wild rides discovering what chord combinations could possibly work without venturing into the discordant territory (a la Prokofiev).

In trying to be too impactful to convey a sense of scale, the big bass drum and the tympani were given too much importance and prominence.

Today in our seat (row 9, bang in the sweet spot) the big drums completely drowned the string section and pretty much everything else except the three trombones which were equally and obnoxiously loud; and to make things worse the trombones had lots of parts. I strained to hear the strings, the cellos and even the upright bass sections. The lone harpist might as well have been granted a leave of absence - she was so not heard! The only instruments that could be heard over the din were the bamboo flute (yes, you heard that right), the percussionists with their cymbals, triangles, etc. Almost equally jarring to my ears as the bass drum and tympani was the drum kit. I agree that it had a place in anchoring the waltzy cadence of a movement like Sky Dance but in most other movements it stood out as being out of place.

Living Voice the choral group from Mumbai was very good. The two vocal soloists didn't really solo. I wish they did. I've never heard an Indian soprano or a mezzo.

Maestro Karl Jenkins looked like he was suffering from early onset of rigor mortis. He could surely have displayed a bit more enthusiasm:)

Now, what if Living Voice were to perform the Verdi Requiem with the SOI? Considering their performance last night, it's not such a fanciful idea!

Last edited:
Today's concert program:
Recital: Stephen Hough
Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 7:00PM
Tata Theatre, NCPA
Stephen Hough, piano >
Debussy: Clair de lune
Debussy: Images, Book 1
Schumann: Fantasie in C major, Op. 17
Debussy: La terrasse des audiences au clair de lune
Debussy: Images, Book 2
Beethoven: Sonata in F minor, Op. 57 Appassionata

One of the most distinctive artists of his generation, Stephen Hough combines a distinguished career as a pianist with those of composer and writer. Named by The Economist as one of Twenty Living Polymaths, Hough was the first classical performer to be awarded a MacArthur Fellowship and was made a Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the New Years Honours 2014. Since taking first prize at the 1983 Naumburg Competition in New York, Hough has performed with many of the worlds major orchestras and has given recitals at the most prestigious concert halls. He is a regular guest at festivals such as Salzburg, La Roque d'Anthron, Mostly Mozart, Edinburgh, and BBC Proms, where he has made twenty-five concerto appearances.

The most perfect piano playing conceivable."- The Guardian

Stephen Houghs steady ascent to the summit of his profession exhibits equally supreme mastery of his instrument and the deep humanity from which it has flowered.
- International Record Review

Pure genius. What a concert!!

A million coughing Bombayites, a few idiots who didn't know how to switch off their cellphones and those old pious fogeys who kept rustling their programme could not take away from the absolute gorgeous music that poured out of the Yamaha piano.

From the first note of Clair de Lune, there was no doubt that it was going to be a superb concert. Debussy's Images were perfectly paced (or could send you on an abstractness induced trip), could get the passion of Robert Schumann missing Clara in Fantasie, and Appassionata was true to its name.

Brilliant.

Lucky, lucky, lucky us who made it.

VR: Thanks for the prompt post of last night's recital.

It was certainly a very enjoyable performance by one of today's foremost pianists.

All four Debussy works that he played were slow to mid tempo pieces. His great "touch" shone through, from the barely audible to the thunderingly loud passages. The fluidity of his finger work was amazing. My inability to appreciate it more deeply beyond the superficial sonic qualities was entirely my fault because Impressionistic music (of which Debussy was one of the foremost composers) is a bit beyond the current scope of my rather shallow grasp of classical music. My loss entirely.

Things got very interesting with the Schumann Fantasie. Both the second and third movements were standouts.

Beethoven's Appassionata garnered rather mixed reactions from concertgoers. His interpretation of the composition was different from earlier performances by past greats. But it didn't stop me from thoroughly enjoying it.

A great evening indeed.

Looking forward to tomorrow's performance. Pasted below from SOI's website:

---------
Stephen Hough plays Beethoven's 'Emperor' Concerto / Evgeny Bushkov, conductor
Thursday, September 28, 2017 at 7:00PM
NCPA Jamshed Bhabha Theatre
Symphony Orchestra of India
Evgeny Bushkov, conductor >
Stephen Hough, piano >
Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 5 (Emperor) in E-flat major, Op. 73
Mozart: Symphony No. 41 (Jupiter) in C major, K. 551

One of today's most interesting conductors, Evgeny Bushkov received early acclaim as a violinist, winning at four major international violin competitions: Wieniawski (1986), Queen Elizabeth (1989), Tchaikovsky (1990), and the first Henryk Szeryng Foundation award (1992). An Honoured Artist of Russia, Bushkov brings his exceptional performing experience and impeccable artistry to his conducting. He has worked with several orchestras across the globe, including the Moscow Philharmonic, St. Petersburg Philharmonic, the orchestra of the Bolshoi Theatre, and the Orchestra Sinfonica di Milano G. Verdi, and is Artistic Director and Chief Conductor of the Belarusian State Chamber Orchestra. Evgeny Bushkov became Resident Conductor of the Symphony Orchestra of India in January 2017.

"Evgeny Bushkov is one of the best conductors I have played with in the last decade
- Paul Badura-Skoda

One of the most distinctive artists of his generation, Stephen Hough combines a distinguished career as a pianist with those of composer and writer. Named by The Economist as one of Twenty Living Polymaths, Hough was the first classical performer to be awarded a MacArthur Fellowship and was made a Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the New Years Honours 2014. Since taking first prize at the 1983 Naumburg Competition in New York, Hough has performed with many of the worlds major orchestras and has given recitals at the most prestigious concert halls. He is a regular guest at festivals such as Salzburg, La Roque d'Anthron, Mostly Mozart, Edinburgh, and BBC Proms, where he has made twenty-five concerto appearances.

The most perfect piano playing conceivable."
- The Guardian

Stephen Houghs steady ascent to the summit of his profession exhibits equally supreme mastery of his instrument and the deep humanity from which it has flowered.
- International Record Review
----

I do like different interpretations. If you go with if it is Beethoven it must be Klemperer (or Toscanini or whoever) you wont get to hear other beautiful interpretations. Like Rizzis chamber like 5th that is in earlier posts. I connected, JLS dude !

Last nights concert was fun, though I am not moved so much by either the Beethoven Concerto (barring the second movement) or the Mozart symphony (where many a times I feel I have landed into a Merchant-Ivory period production) while listening at home. However, the undeniably virtuosic playing by Hough, and superb conducting by Bushkov (man, them strings. Made it talk), sweet playing by the Orchestra made it a lovely evening of music. Liked the Chopin encore (very Rubenstein in approach I felt), and loved the Brahms Hungarian Dance, but bailed during Strauss as there was work to get to.

Today I caught the second half of the Arties concert at the Experimental theatre, inspired by TSB who urged me to punt on me being able to come and buy a ticket (the punt half worked). Though I had shady (a college term for not so good) seats, a friend asked me to come sit next to him; I got to sit facing the orchestra 6 rows back, close to the aisle, which turned fortuitous since I got to hear Schubert's Octet in all sonic glory.

I have found this piece tough to get into. Firstly, its an hour long. Secondly, it does not really have anything slam bang, and has several gentle movements with subtle melodies and duets (violin and clarinet specially). But...

It is scored for violin, cello, bass, horn, clarinet, bassoon, viola, violin (left to right, the way Arties seated themselves), and I found myself immersed in gorgeous sound (some new panels behind the musicians at the Experimental, and the sound has opened out and it looks nicer too) and gracious playing by the Orchestra. It was a super end to a tiring day.

Not sure when I will listen to this piece again (I have at least one CD for sure), but again the benefits of going to a concert. Rewarding!

Last edited:
Great report, VR :thumbsup:

Our friend BPD had been guardedly raving about the improved sonics at the Experimental post the renovation. TSB did give me a late night reminder last night about today's Artie's but I couldn't make it. Good that you went.

PS: how come no one reported post the 28 Sep concert? I thought both Beethoven Emperor concerto and the Mozart Jupiter were very well played.

Last edited:
Hello, another season coming up!

On January 30th, Stephen Kovacevich, one of the greatest of pianists, is playing a program in Mumbai which includes Schubert Sonata D.959 and Beethoven Sonata Op 110 (also known as Sonata No. 31). Both are great, and are among each of the composer's famous last Sonatas. Out of towners, if there is a reason for Mumbai darshan, can't think of a better one.

Stephen Kovacevich!!!!! In case you missed it above :)

The Symphony Orchestra of India this features the Polish conductor Antoni Wit, who is the music director of Warsaw Philharmonic. He has conducted many international orchestras including Berlin Philharmonic, London Philharmonic, Zurich Tonhalle among others. I have his Penderecki CDs which I really like, and unusually, a Mahler 8th also (he has recorded on the Naxos Label). This year features an abbreviated orchestral Ring Cycle, and separately, Mahler's Songs of a Wayfarer (featuring Benjamin Appl, a young baritone mentored by Fischer-Dieskau) and Strauss' Alpine Symphony.

More details on

http://www.soimumbai.com/calendar

Tickets on sale on December 29th/

Hello, another season coming up!

On January 30th, Stephen Kovacevich, one of the greatest of pianists, is playing a program in Mumbai which includes Schubert Sonata D.959 and Beethoven Sonata Op 110 (also known as Sonata No. 31). Both are great, and are among each of the composer's famous last Sonatas. Out of towners, if there is a reason for Mumbai darshan, can't think of a better one.

Stephen Kovacevich!!!!! In case you missed it above :)

The Symphony Orchestra of India this features the Polish conductor Antoni Wit, who is the music director of Warsaw Philharmonic. He has conducted many international orchestras including Berlin Philharmonic, London Philharmonic, Zurich Tonhalle among others. I have his Penderecki CDs which I really like, and unusually, a Mahler 8th also (he has recorded on the Naxos Label). This year features an abbreviated orchestral Ring Cycle, and separately, Mahler's Songs of a Wayfarer (featuring Benjamin Appl, a young baritone mentored by Fischer-Dieskau) and Strauss' Alpine Symphony.

More details on

http://www.soimumbai.com/calendar

Tickets on sale on December 29th/

Just back from Gypsy Kings concert at Bandra Ampitheatre,
(Not classical) absolutely fabulous

Age is terrible, but today's concert proved greatness is permanent. Kovacevich!!!

An absolutely dramatic Schubert, and an as good as it gets Beethoven. The "last sonatas" of the greats were done full justice - moments of absolute beauty emerging out of turbulence. While the purists may have found the Schubert "eccentric", I found the interpretation full of colour - the outbursts followed by melodies of infinite sadness, swooping "pauses" - gorgeous.

And the Beethoven, woah! So many versions of the late piano sonatas I have (Kempff, Brendel, Solomon, Rosen, (did I miss any CD) and even Kovacevich), but this I wish I could hear again and again...

My family liked the Moments Musiceaux encore, but I kept hearing the Beethoven in my head.

Among my great contributions to the evening was giving a woman who coughed liked crazy a lozenge during the intermission.

Maestro Kovacevich's performance of the Beethoven Sonata in A flat was absolutely masterful. He carries his 78 years rather lightly. Wishing him many, many more years of top flight playing.

Went for Wagner's "Ring Without Words" which is Wagner's Ring Cycle of 17 hours compressed into a series of musical episodes of 75 minutes (stitched together by Lorin Maazel). Alas, Wit could not make it due to an illness, and we had Kaspszyk conducting the SoI.

And what an audiophile spectacular it was. Two harps! Many horns! Trombones! The works. See picture. The stage was crowded with musicians.

The music itself lent itself to the big sound. Episodes like "fall amongst hammering dwarfs smithying away", "Wotan's rage" "Cavalcade of the Brunnhilde Sisters (Ride of the Valkyries)"...dont the titles themselves suggest that. Ends with the "Immolation" (what, Padmaavat?).

It was 75 minutes of high intense music, and was played beautifully. I wish the audiophiles had been there, just to hear the sound of a big orchestra (forget your music systems! can't do).

Yet, thrilling as it was, to me, the music itself did not have moments of absolute beauty/stillness that lets you get within. Dramatic, like a spectacle should be and a great ride indeed.

As always, the orchestration in Mumbai also involved extensive coughs, cellophane crackles as a lozenge was opened, and a couple of mobile phone ring tones. I hope they do a throat check before the Mahler on Friday.

Attachments

• IMG_0669.JPG
    IMG_0669.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 8
Yesterday was 2/3rd full NCPA, listening to a beautifully played concert of Mahler (Blumine, Songs of A Wayfarer) and Strauss (Alpine Symphony)

Unlike the Wagner mentioned earlier, the Mahler had many moments of sublime beauty which lets one get into an inward journey - a solo violin breaking into a melody, a mournful clarinet and as in yesterday's concert, delightful singing by Benjamin Appl. The orchestral playing was sublime. For me, it helped "see" a lot of the sounds I hear on the music system, and I loved it. The sound, the music, the playing, the conducting...everything.

Strauss's Alpine Symphony was the second half. Not really a symphony, but a tone poem that musically describes night and then day break in the Alps, the journey up encountering forests and pastures (and cowbells), glacier, dangerous moments (and yes, that's how its described) reaching the summit (the quietness with an oboe melody (and miracle, no coughs) and the exaltation), and then way down with a storm (woo woo went the wind machine, kerrash the thunder machine) and then on to sunset and night again. The orchestral playing and conducting was top notch, but then again, it reminded me why I don't play it so often...I so prefer the other tone poems (like Death and Transfiguration played a few years ago, or the more famous Zarathustra) which make more of a musical impact on me. However, the visual nature of the program meant that my kids enjoyed it a lot.

Hifi fans, you should hear a live symphony once to know scale of sound - this one was a spectacular and NCPA sounded just fine!

Trivia, the first CD to be made for test pressing was the Alpine Symphony conducted by Karajan. And no wonder!

Talk:Western Classical Music: The Conductor's Perspective by Zane Dalal

Monday, March 12, 2018 at 8:00PM
Prithvi Theatre, Juhu

Join SOI Associate Music Director Zane Dalal in an interactive session on western classical music. Zane will give audience members a brief overview of the genre, including the different periods in music history, offering insight from the conductor's perspective. He will also open the floor for a conversation with audience members

I totally forgot to report the last two SOI @ Prithvi concerts. Both were really good, especially this month's. The Chamber ensemble of SOI continues to improve. Bravo to resident conductor Maestro Bushkov.

However, the performance by the violin and viola soloists at the last Prithvi concert was rather tepid in my opinion (Suite #3 for Violin, Viola and String Orchestra, Op 19 No. 1 by Swedish composer Kurt Atterberg).

It's comforting that the Conductor himself takes pains to explain what they'll be playing. As someone who reads through every word in a record or CD sleeve note (the longer a sleeve note is, the better for me), I genuinely appreciate the Conductor's forewords. I do miss the good doc Cawas' explanations. He used used to do that honour. Hope he's well.

Yesterday, we had Alexander Lazerev finish with a spectacular Sibelius Symphony 2 that had the audience on their feet at the end (the last time I witnessed that is when Dutoit conducted Dvorak in Bombay - oh ye fallen angel). I have always found it difficult to concentrate on this Sibelius on my stereo, and yesterday's concert showed me why - many shifts in dynamics, tempos, a blistering strings section followed by a cool and melodic winds section. The SoI played it so well. Very rousing performance! I have also never heard a concert with the conductor shouting out at the orchestra to whip them up.

The first half had a beautiful but all too brief Mussorgsky's Kovanshchina, a piece I hadn't heard before. A quick youtube link for those who want to check it out. Also had Mozart's Concerto for Harp and Flute - I enjoyed the first to movements (especially the super melodic second), but drifted off by the third - not to blame the excellent performers, but its me with Mozart sometimes.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back