need a 500gb portable hard drive

dmann

i am on the lookout for a usb powered 500gb external hard drive.i have checked the various options which include toshiba canvio,wd my passport,seagate and transcend.
which is the best off all these.one of the dealers told me that toshiba is the most reliable and seagate has some issues.
all are available in a price range of 3-3.5k.
kindly give your suggestions.

thanks.

i would say go with the wd my passport. Ive been using it for about 6 months now and never had any sort of problem. Its compact enough to fit into pants pocket and looks decent. Hope it helps.

so most of you guys favour wd.
but one of my friends have experience of using hdds of different brands and he says toshiba canvio is the fastest and most reliable.
any toshiba owners here?
what you guys think which is the fastest and most reliable?

If you mainly plan to play media streaming or HD videos, consider wd my passport AV series. I read few reviews for smooth playback on this special type to boost Audio Video performance.

Any one has experience?

I bought a Seagate unit (500GB external)for a friend recently, cost 4150.
I bought a WD Passport 500GB portable for ~INR 3500 in Singapore. That was in one-day only deal. Prices were approximately around the same otherwise.

Aneelr seems to have got some 1TB portables in US for $100 early last month.

If you can afford it, go for the Freecom ToughDrive Sport. I have two of them, and they are bullet proof and sexy looking. Plus the password protection feature is must for me. I also added AVast portable virus checker on it so that in case I connected it to a strange machine I could use the portable version of Avast to keep me out of trouble.

Bought verbatim on ebay, had 25% Discount coupoun
So Price was 3170 I got it for Rs 2615 which I think is a decent price
Works so far so good!

hemant, can you please share the coupon source? I am looking for a usb power portable as well as a 2TB external powered. Suggestions and links pls

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back