Need a bit of De-coding!

terrible

Ok, here I am for some more help. I was talking to one of the sellers of Oppo 103 and this is the message he sent me:

It doesn't have box pack and is OEM version. This player is hardware level region free make and hence future firmware are updatable. Since hardware modification is done the box was opened and also the player was opened for welding and modification. This is hard to find player and rare to find in India. Modification has taken me 20,000 bucks more and hence this high price. This is the only piece available and no more quantity will be there even in future.

So couple of things here. While i understand OEM is original equipment manufacturer. What would that mean here? Its different than a retail Oppo BDP103? Does it really cost Rs. 20000 to make Oppo region free even if its done at a hardware level?

External USB are not as effective as the modded internal boards to make it region free. However the high price is for the modded requirement and ability to upgrade the firmware and still keeping the region free feature intact.

Is it true external USB is not as effective? And does region free feature suffer with firmware upgrade?

In your experience is this a buyable piece?

Thanks already!

Welding in a box of electronics!!
I hope the seller means soldering.
Even if it is replacing a chip that DRM built into it, 20K extra sounds like a rip off.
And don't understand what does USB have to do with region free stuff, unless the mods/hack got messed up.

IMO, too many red flags here.

Cheers,
Raghu

Welding in a box of electronics!!
I hope the seller means soldering.
Even if it is replacing a chip that DRM built into it, 20K extra sounds like a rip off.
And don't understand what does USB have to do with region free stuff, unless the mods/hack got messed up.

IMO, too many red flags here.

Cheers,
Raghu

I think he does mean soldering.

USB means this: OPPO Region Hack - Easiest Hardware Mod Ever - High-Def Digest: The Bonus View as there is also an internal hardware level hacking for region free bluraychip.dk - Oppo BDP-103(D) multiregion DIY kit - PRO

But what is this OEM piece? Is it any different than a regular retail piece?

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back