Need a large screen for HTPC..please help

choke911

HI,

I live in Kolkata and am in the lookout for a TV and I need your advice urgently. I know there are threads esquiring about the same display models but I think my case is a little different because of the purpose I am buying the display for.

My requirements and intended purpose are as follows -

1. My budget is around 50000 which I can stretch to 60000 (max) if required.
2. The TV has to be at least 42". 40" doesn't look big enough to me.
3. The TV will be used for HTPC ONLY
4. Video contents played in the TV will ONLY be 1080p (no SD or 720p). It will be mostly 1080p movie rips and some occasional retail bluray DISCs
5. The TV will be used for gaming - mostly Racing (Arcade, Simulations), sports (FIFA etc) and platformers (Trine, Street Fighters etc). If I find 42" ergonomically suitable for shooters and RTS then I might try some in it.
6. My viewing distance while watching movies will be 7 feet and while playing racing games will be 6 feet. For other type of games except shooters it will again be 7 feet
7. The display will not be used for web surfing or any other document related work.
8. The TV will be used in low light condition for games and movies will be watched in complete darkness
9. I would prefer a plasma over a LCD
10. I am only concerned with the delivered picture quality...I don't care about power usage, sexy looks or anything else

The models that I can choose from and the quoted prices are (please let me know if there are good performing models from other brands which might also be available) -

1. Panasonic P42U30D - G14 panel, 900 MPR - Rs 43000 (out of stock)
Panasonic TH-P42U30A Review - LCD TVs

2. Sony 46CX520 - PVA panel - Rs 64990 (out of budget, but can probably bring it down to 61000)
Sony Bravia KDL-46CX520

3. Panasonic L42U30D - IPS-alpha - Rs 43000 (In stock)

I have a decent knowledge of display technologies but I lack practical knowledge and that's why I need you guys advice. The P42U30 is out of stock and I am currently left with the 46CX520 and L42U30.

I have viewed my 'The Fast and the Furious' bluray DISC in both and I feel the picture in the Panasonic LCD looked washed away and the color was not vibrant enough. The Sony on the other hand looked crisp with decent black level (digitalversus.com does mention that this one can reach 0.06 cd/m) and rich colors. Like all large screen LCDs I have tried so far the overall picture in both the LCDs looked somewhat grainy though. I never had a chance to view the Panasonic U30 plasma although I tried the same bluray in the P42X30 which in my opinion didn't look as much vibrant as the Sony (probably because it does only 720p). The color was not at all rich (calibration might have changed that, I am not sure, or maybe the shop was way too brightly lit for this plasma), but the overall picture was much less grainy compared to the Sony and Pana LCD. Black looked decent though. Also, I never had a chance to view a FullHD plasma be it low, mid or high end.

So, my questions are -
1. How does a entry level FullHD plasma from Panasonic compare to a mid-range LCD offering from Sony?
2. Or rather how does a G14 plasma panel from Panasonic compare to a PVA LCD panel with CCFL back-lighting?
3. How much will I be compromising on the picture quality(black level, color etc) (if at all) if I go for the 46CX520?
4. In terms of picture quality will a 46CX520 comes close to a U or ST series panny?
5. Will it be wise to wait for the Panasonic P42U30?

PLEASE ANSWER GUYS..I NEED YOUR HELP SO MUCH...

Last edited:
Try Samsung 40D6000 LED tv. I am using the same for an HTPC and it has amazing picture quality. Although its Mrp is 70-80k, I got for 55k in the black market.

Try Samsung 40D6000 LED tv. I am using the same for an HTPC and it has amazing picture quality. Although its Mrp is 70-80k, I got for 55k in the black market.

I am guessing you mean Grey market :p...

@OP There are lots of choices to choose from in the Under 50k range... The Sammy 40in D5000 LED is under 48k I think... Also from what I can remember the Toshiba 40in LED (dont remember model number) is under 40k & members on this forum who have bought it have found it to have amazing PQ...

I am guessing you mean Grey market :p...

@OP There are lots of choices to choose from in the Under 50k range... The Sammy 40in D5000 LED is under 48k I think... Also from what I can remember the Toshiba 40in LED (dont remember model number) is under 40k & members on this forum who have bought it have found it to have amazing PQ...

I meant black market only. Google it, you'll understand the difference. :p

And samsung 6 series has better motion flow than Toshiba(more hertz). So it'll suit the guy's requirement of playing games.

Thank you very much for the suggestion...but my requirement is minimum 42", so the models you all mentioned wont work in my case.

Anyway, I stretched my budget to 70K and have finally bought the Samsung PS51D550. Will post pics and videos for the same soon...

Took a few pics and videos of my entire setup...the pics are uploaded in flickr, the album is a bit scrambled and span across 2 pages, so don't forget to check out page 2 where there are more images of the TV...the video will give you a fair idea of what I tried to achieve although it doesn't do justice to the humorousness aspect of the TV...take a look and let me know what you feel...

The pics:

Flickr: choke911's Photostream

The video:

My HTPC running XMBC - YouTube

Thank you very much for the suggestion...but my requirement is minimum 42", so the models you all mentioned wont work in my case.

Anyway, I stretched my budget to 70K and have finally bought the Samsung PS51D550. Will post pics and videos for the same soon...

good choice.......samsung makes some of the best entry level plasmas. 51D550 is an excellent tv. Panasonic plasmas are great if you go for models that come with neop pdp panels, else go with Samsung.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back