Need a little advice - step down transformer/converter

Renovatio

Hi,

I wanted some advice on a step down transformer - have an 1800 W 110V device and need to be able to run it in India. What Wattage transformer do I need, and what company sells a good reliable one that won't fry my device?

Thanks!

You will need a really heavy transformer for that much load. As a safety measure, use atleast a 6KVA transformer. Maxine is a good brand often recommended in this forum.

Thanks for the response. I called up the number for Maxine (Shah) online and the fellow said a 2kV was sufficient.

He also said it'll cost close to 4k. That's a bit steep!

Thanks for the response. I called up the number for Maxine (Shah) online and the fellow said a 2kV was sufficient.

He also said it'll cost close to 4k. That's a bit steep!

Don't know about your equipments worth but you are cribbing about 4K for a quality product!! Don't cheap out on step downs and stabilisers. They are like insurance, always a warm feeling knowing you have them.

@Renovatio

2KVA is good enough and the price is ok. This brand is known for its stability and performance. I am using this for the last 2 years and i am happy about it. Go for it.

I'm looking for a step down for one of these: Cuisinart GR-4N Griddler.

Some websites report it as 1500 W, some as 1800 W. Should I maybe go for a 2500W step down transformer just to be safe?

More than the cost of my griddler, I guess I'm safeguarding against having to ship a replacement for the damn thing down from the States with a transformer.

For these kind of appliances always use a high current rated transformer. I have a 5KVA servo stab and I can say that whenever I start the induction cooker (~ 2000W), the voltage dips suddenly. A 2KVA transformer is not sufficient for such a high current appliance. You will need heavier ones.

The appliance you going to use is of resistive load, Maxine is the good quality but spending 4K is not worth, you can use electronic type step down, it will be just in a size of a multipin adaptor and 2500 watts rating costs only 300rs, go for that and mind you dont use that adaptor for any other electronic device like dvd player

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back