Need a Turntable! Max budget 50K. Complete Noob in vinyls!

Nice modern table that one. Congratulations! Welcome to the 'Black Magic' world. :)

Vinyl is not the feared dragon as some people are saying. It is a nice medium to enjoy the 'original' sound which the young generation has not not experienced properly.

I know a friend who has a simple marantz straight arm tt with basic cartridge and some decent Vinyl collection. Nothing high end ( Technics, Garrards, EMTs, straight arm, curved arm...etc etc). But he is very happy with his humble setup and the sound is also very decent. So even the simple n humble tt can give sheer joy to one.

There are no boundaries for this hobby. Only thing you have to be content and happy to live with whatever you have.

If you start to compare with others' systems, collections and read their reviews and jump in the race then there will be no end, only more sleepless nights ahead.

Just go ahead and enjoy! Cheers!

Last edited:
I would like to start with a decent turntable...(not high-end) I only have few records.
Please suggest a few brands..... I don't want to go with new one
Looking for a used one.
I am a newbie to 'Black Magic World'

Nice modern table that one. Congratulations! Welcome to the 'Black Magic' world. :)

Vinyl is not the feared dragon as some people are saying. It is a nice medium to enjoy the 'original' sound which the young generation has not not experienced properly.

I know a friend who has a simple marantz straight arm tt with basic cartridge and some decent Vinyl collection. Nothing high end ( Technics, Garrards, EMTs, straight arm, curved arm...etc etc). But he is very happy with his humble setup and the sound is also very decent. So even the simple n humble tt can give sheer joy to one.

There are no boundaries for this hobby. Only thing you have to be content and happy to live with whatever you have.

If you start to compare with others' systems, collections and read their reviews and jump in the race then there will be no end, only more sleepless nights ahead.

Just go ahead and enjoy! Cheers!
Thanks Shafiq, i'm sure i'll enjoy it. My experiences with vinyl actually go way back and before i'd even experienced CDs. I remember spinning vinyls on my Mama ji's vintage record player when i was 8 years old or so back at my ancestral home. His work meant that he was always on the road which allowed me to misappropriate his system at will. I was lucky enough to enjoy some real rock classics though i don't think i could really appreciate them in their entirety back then.

The mama ji also set me off on my musical journey when I went hunting for a hifi setup back when i hadn't even turned 20. My father was generous enough to allocate me a 40K budget. However, as i wanted an entire home theatre setup back then (since i had no idea that an IA paired with a good pair of bookshelves could sound incredible) and though we ended up auditioning a few onlyo and wharfedale systems paired with onkyo AVRs, they were just overbudget so we had to settle on the Sony MuTeKi. Apparently its still functioning 12 years hence. But i digress.

I'd say i owe my interest in this hobby to mamamji. Had it not been for his setup back in the day and his indulgence in my endeavours, i'd probably have lost interest and not followed through. This mamaji had retired recently so i decided to gift him a Denon DP29F so that he'd have something to spin his awesome collection of records which have been stowed away back at the ancestral home since the past two decades. The TT got delivered a week back at his current place in Kolkata. He's ordered some records so he should be up and running soon. I hope it isn't too shabby a TT.

I guess its also time for me to rediscover the magic. I sure hope 8 year old me does not outdo 2020 me while setting up the system. :)

Last edited:
I would like to start with a decent turntable...(not high-end) I only have few records.
Looking for a used one.

It is always important to make a good start without having to worry much about the hardware. Project and Rega have some very good entry level turntables that are very reliable and sound good. On the other hand, if you have access to the British or German electronics markets, it would be good to target used Technics direct drive turntables. They are usually found in these markets in pristine condition and moderately priced. If buying Technics SL1200 or 1210 turntables in these markets, avoid turntables used by DJs as these may have heavy wear and tear. Some direct drive turntables from other Japanese brands like Pioneer, Akai, Denon, JVC, etc also match most entry level requirements. Having used all the 3 popular drive types, personally, I would rate direct drive turntables as the best, overall.

When purchasing turntables, it is important to get off to a good start. Entry level or very basic turntables in my opinion are ok but very soon we will start finding out their limitations. I had started my personal journey with a humble Teac P988 and then upgraded to Technics SLBD20B. Both these turntables were decent and could play my records pretty well. Combined, these were in use for about a year, when I soon realized that I was facing some limitations with them. I was lucky and came across a minty Technics SL3200 through my good friend, FM Flanker and that started my real turntable journey. I still have that turntable today and enjoy it.

Looking for a used one.
You can start your vinyl journey with some nice n humble vintage TTs like Philips 242, Cosmic 2000bd, 4000DD, pioneer, Technics...... etc etc. Ranging from Rs 4k to 40k depends on the model, condition, with cart/ without cart..... It is all depends on your budget. And also start to build a vinyl collection asper your taste.
BTW what's your current set-up?
Regards

You can start your vinyl journey with some nice n humble vintage TTs like Philips 242, Cosmic 2000bd, 4000DD, pioneer, Technics...... etc etc. Ranging from Rs 4k to 40k depends on the model, condition, with cart/ without cart..... It is all depends on your budget. And also start to build a vinyl collection asper your taste.
BTW what's your current set-up?
Regards

Started collecting vinyls and cassette tapes.
I have few LPs and some 200 EPs.

No turntable and cassette player,looking for used ones.

I am using NAD c340 integrated amp... Using its pre to NAD 214 POWER to JBL E80 floorstanders.
NAD 541i&520 cd players.

Started collecting vinyls and cassette tapes.

I am using NAD c340 integrated amp... Using its pre to NAD 214 POWER to JBL E80 floorstanders.
NAD 541i&520 cd players.
In that case you will need a phonostage, as the NAD C340, although it has a 'disc' input, does not have an inbuilt phonostage. These NAD amps were from an era when vinyl had just faded away, CDs having taken over, while cassettes were still in vogue.

For starters, internal phonostage presents many advantages. Less things to connect, just connect the turntable to the amplifier. Also you dont need an amplifier with a phono input. You can connect this type of turntable to any amplifier or even directly to poweramplifiers with level controls or to active speakers. Most of these entry level turntables have switches to by-pass the internal phonostage just in case you have an amp with a phono input or you have access to an external phonostage. Most internal phonostages are very basic, built around a dual OP amp with one half for each channel. Simple as they may be, they will do the job and one can enjoy music with them. Its just that if you want to realize the real potential of vinyl listening, a definite upgrade will be required.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back